New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I don't think we have had reports of reduced times in places like rock wall or Flowrider - the two venues in the Key program.

I'll be able to answer that question in a few weeks.

What are the normal hours of public operation for Flowrider and Climbing Wall?

(Public being anyone on the ship can access without paying an additional fee)

1 minute ago, Landlocked Luke said:

What are the normal hours of public operation for Flowrider and Climbing Wall?

It varies with ship and some times itinerary. Don't think it was ever available for the rock wall, but paid sessions for the Flowrider have been available for years, this new program just adds to the paid sessions.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

It varies with ship and some times itinerary. Don't think it was ever available for the rock wall, but paid sessions for the Flowrider have been available for years, this new program just adds to the paid sessions.

So adding an additional exclusive time for key members they must do at least one of the following:

Begin operating the flowrider earlier in the day

Continue operating the flowrider later in the day

Eliminating a paid private and/or group lesson time period

Reduce the number of hours that the flowrider can be used by anyone

The first three either cost them more in labor or reduce their income. The fourth costs them nothing. I think it is a smart wager to anticipate an even more limited public hours of operation.

Here's the timing on Oasis:

image.png.14f221ec7fff4f28640a6299608a2ee5.png

All of the sessions happen on the side normally reserved for boogie boarding - looks like the morning sessions take away from normal public time (boogie boarding is very lightly attended at that time). Don't know if the two afternoon session would have been open to the public. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Here's the timing on Oasis:

image.png.14f221ec7fff4f28640a6299608a2ee5.png

All of the sessions happen on the side normally reserved for boogie boarding - looks like the morning sessions take away from normal public time (boogie boarding is very lightly attended at that time). Don't know if the two afternoon session would have been open to the public. 

Thanks for posting my pics from my first hand experience (in reference to a few posts above).  In my case, albeit the initial run, all of 3 people (of 47) used the Flow Rider.   Staff allowed others on absent of Key guests on this one occasion.  

I'm on Navigator now as I right this with its terrible Voom so I've been following loosely along as time and scuba diving has permitted.  

A few thoughts and comments have entered my head as I've followed along but with the drink package impacting my judgements I chose to follow along instead.  My gut reaction is people are over reacting, but to each their own, everyone can have an opinion. 

Only time will tell.  Don't fret too much about anything until you experience the impact (or lack of) first hand.  

Happy cruising everyone, time for another drink on a glorious sea day as we make our back to Miami.  

1 minute ago, twangster said:

A few thoughts and comments have entered my head as I've followed along but with the drink package impacting my judgements I chose to follow along instead.  

Happy cruising everyone, time for another drink on a glorious sea day as we make our back to Miami.  

Yes, be careful with drinking and posting.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Angelsea57 said:

Well , the more money they get the more they want.

It's all about the mighty dollar.

On the flip side of this thought, base cruise fares continue to remain relatively unaffected by time.  They remain affordable despite rising costs across the industry (and life in general)

If a program such as The Key can introduce new revenue while having a relatively low impact to most guests yet keep bare cruise fares low for the masses that may not be a bad thing. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, twangster said:

On the flip side of this thought, base cruise fares continue to remain relatively unaffected by time.  They remain affordable despite rising costs across the industry (and life in general)

If a program such as The Key can introduce new revenue while having a relatively low impact to most guests yet keep bare cruise fares low for the masses that may not be a bad thing. 

How about this - The revenue increase is very minor while leaving a bad taste in the mouth of many . Yes , cabin fares remain static but the cruise lines are very clever and I'm not sure their cost have gone up . Gratuities , drinks and all extras have gone up far faster then inflation while the bigger the ship , the lower the operating cost per person . I love cruising and think it continues to get better . Occasionally the nickel and diming gets to me . 

• Like 1

Apparently, The Key is already being ‘tweaked’ since the OP’s post. The Key description on my planner adds/modifies:

Priority check-in and boarding. Upon your arrival at the terminal, follow The Key check-in signage to your designated waiting area.

Priority port of call debarkation. No mention of only applying to tender ports.

Reserved priority seating at shows in the Main Theatre, AquaTheatre and Studio B. No reservations required pre-cruise or onboard.

39 minutes ago, SteelMagnolia9 said:

Apparently, The Key is already being ‘tweaked’ since the OP’s post. The Key description on my planner adds/modifies:

Priority check-in and boarding. Upon your arrival at the terminal, follow The Key check-in signage to your designated waiting area.

Priority port of call debarkation. No mention of only applying to tender ports.

Reserved priority seating at shows in the Main Theatre, AquaTheatre and Studio B. No reservations required pre-cruise or onboard.

Noticed the same.  Also see it for Vision class bookings which to me would be a complete waste.   

Edited by twangster

I know I'm the minority here, but we bought The Key program for our upcoming Harmony cruise in April.

Since we were already getting the internet package ($112) and planning a lunch at Chops ($24.95 plus tax), the rest 60+ dollars is worth it to us for priority boarding, cabin ready at noon, reserved seating at all shows, priority debarkation at the ports of call.

Love the VIP feeling 🙂

• Like 3

Think this  is more of a value on 7 day cruises and on certain ships. Anyone think this would be of value for a Diamond Plus member on an 11 day cruise on a ship like Ovation of the Seas? No zipline, no flowrider, no AquaTheater and  no Studio B  ..........hopefully it could get you on Northstar.

Key would be $550 for 2 persons

InternetPackage we would buy is for just one of us(no streaming needed)  $132

Edited by Jimbo

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Anyone think this would be of value for a Diamond Plus member on an 11 day cruise on a ship like Ovation of the Seas? No zipline, no flowrider, no AquaTheater and  no Studio B  ..........hopefully it could get you on Northstar.

I sure hope they didn't remove the Flowrider on Ovation.

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I sure hope they didn't remove the Flowrider on Ovation.

oh I forgot about deck 16, wonder how many will brave that in early May in Alaska?

So I guess ripcord and  sea plex will be things we could do though.

Still $ 550 is ALOT of $$$

Edited by Jimbo

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

oh I forgot about deck 16, wonder how many will brave that in early May in Alaska?

Me for one, though in the warmer weather Hawaii to Vancouver.

I did use the one on Explorer in late May - beautiful to be on Flowrider while leaving Juneau.

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Me for one, though in the warmer weather Hawaii to Vancouver.

I did use the one on Explorer in late May - beautiful to be on Flowrider while leaving Juneau.

We know the view you mean, we had that view from our corner aft Family Ocean View with Balcony  on Celebrity Infinity back in May of 2017 Alaska for 7 days.

2 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I hadn’t noticed the “cabins ready at noon” part.

It's in the description for our sailing:

Summary of your benefits: 
• Priority check-in and boarding. Upon your arrival at the terminal, follow The Key check-in signage to your designated waiting area. 
• Early access to stateroom. To gain early entrance to your stateroom, you must go to your stateroom deck and present one of the following: SeaPass Card, confirmation of purchase, or Set Sail Pass. Early access to stateroom starts at 12:00PM. 
• Exclusive embarkation lunch at Chops Grille® - seating from 11:30am – 1:30pm. 
• Private hours at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more. The private hours schedule will be provided at check-in. 
• Priority port of call debarkation. 
• Reserved priority seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. No reservations required pre-cruise or onboard. 
• VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet. 
• Choice debarkation with exclusive A La Carte breakfast from 6:30 am – 9:00 am.

23 minutes ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

It's in the description for our sailing:

Summary of your benefits: 
• Priority check-in and boarding. Upon your arrival at the terminal, follow The Key check-in signage to your designated waiting area. 
• Early access to stateroom. To gain early entrance to your stateroom, you must go to your stateroom deck and present one of the following: SeaPass Card, confirmation of purchase, or Set Sail Pass. Early access to stateroom starts at 12:00PM. 
• Exclusive embarkation lunch at Chops Grille® - seating from 11:30am – 1:30pm. 
• Private hours at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more. The private hours schedule will be provided at check-in. 
• Priority port of call debarkation. 
• Reserved priority seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. No reservations required pre-cruise or onboard. 
• VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet. 
• Choice debarkation with exclusive A La Carte breakfast from 6:30 am – 9:00 am.

Looks like the carry-on luggage drop-off at the theatre has been replaced with early access to the stateroom. 

So they are going to have a crew member stationed at each entrance to cabin decks, starting at noon, let provide access to people who have this "key"? Seems like very inefficient use of crew time. It would be better to have those crew members preparing cabins.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteelMagnolia9 said:

Looks like the carry-on luggage drop-off at the theatre has been replaced with early access to the stateroom. 

My Radiance trip in April still lists the following:

"Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off located in main theater onboard and available until 1:30pm. Up to 2 carry-on bags per guest. "

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So they are going to have a crew member stationed at each entrance to cabin decks, starting at noon, let provide access to people who have this "key"? Seems like very inefficient use of crew time. It would be better to have those crew members preparing cabins.

So your questioning letting someone enjoy having early access 🤔