New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

9 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

So you pay for the key to take care of your cheap soda? 🤔

Makes a lot of sense! 👍

Yes it does, among the rest of the perks with the program it does.

,Embarkation lunch at Chops Grille,  Priority port of call debarkation, Choice debarkation with exclusive A La Carte breakfast from 6:30 am – 9:00 am. Designated times to use activities, flowrider, rock wall, bumper cars, ripcord etc. internet included.

How about getting into shows all together? No need to reserve shows ahead of time!

Going to a show without having to reserve it months ahead of time not really knowing what your schedule for dining looks like and having to plan so far ahead is a pain....Heck you may not even feel like going on the night you reserve...........This way if you feel like going to a show you can show up 10 minutes before it starts and will get a good seat...........Just walk in and be seated and not have to show up 45 minutes before the show in hopes of getting a half decent seat.

This makes a vacation  feel more like a vacation since everything isn't preplanned and having a schedule to keep up with. Thats a real pain!

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

,Embarkation lunch at Chops Grille,  Priority port of call debarkation, Choice debarkation with exclusive A La Carte breakfast from 6:30 am – 9:00 am. Designated times to use activities, flowrider, rock wall, bumper cars, ripcord etc. internet included.

How about getting into shows all together? No need to reserve shows ahead of time!

Going to a show without having to reserve it months ahead of time not really knowing what your schedule for dining looks like and having to plan so far ahead is a pain....Heck you may not even feel like going on the night you reserve...........This way if you feel like going to a show you can show up 10 minutes before it starts and will get a good seat...........Just walk in and be seated and not have to show up 45 minutes before the show in hopes of getting a half decent seat.

This makes a vacation  feel more like a vacation since everything isn't preplanned and having a schedule to keep up with. Thats a real pain!

If you are putting that much weight on the show experience, yes, I understand your point. However, if sailing on R/V/F or smaller  class ships reservations are a non-issue.

15 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I am so glad we never have these problems! 👍

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

If you are putting that much weight on the show experience, yes, I understand your point. However, if sailing on R/V/F or smaller  class ships reservations are a non-issue.

I agree this program is definetly ship specific if this new program is right for you.

Anyone purchase The Key yet?  We are Diamond Plus but NOT sailing in a suite later this year on Symphony.  Any perks for Perfect Day in Coco Cay for instance?   You get VOOM and some exclusive times for flowrider, rock wall and zipline.  But otherwise can’t see much difference compared to D+.   Will diamond Plus still have reserved seating at shows or is that exclusively going to be Pinnacle and Suite?   There also seems to be confusion about whether you have to book show on daily planner to use reserved seating through The Key. 

But anyone been on Symphony/Oasis/Allure with any info on how they really utilize The Key?   Thanks!!!

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I agree this program is definitely ship specific if this new program is right for you.

I agree as well but also think that it's not only ship specific, but also how many nights, your stateroom class and your C&A status.  For a ship that doesn't have all the shows like an Oasis Class, that part of the benefit doesn't have as much value. If you are in a suite (GS and above) or Pinnacle that also negates some/most of the benefits.  If you are Diamond, D+ probably not worth it since you get a lot of these 'perks' already as part of your status benefits. Long cruise?  Nope, probably not worth it due to the fee being per night, per person and if you're on more than a 7 night (or a non-Oasis class of ship) you many not get your 'money's worth' for things like the reserved seating or priority debarkation at various stops.  

For someone like me who is not booked in a suite, doesn't have a very high C&A status, the benefits were attractive to me and my daughter.  We are early risers, will have been in Fort Lauderdale for a couple of days and will be ready to get on that ship as early as we can.   Being able to drop our carry-on bags as soon as we board will be great. We don't need to get into our stateroom earlier, but ditching our smaller carry-on bags which we are using for our Fort Lauderdale 'stuff' will be handy.  Of course we'll have a small beach bag or something with any valuables that we'll keep with us.  We've booked our own shore excursions and again, getting off the ship ahead of the main crowd was appealing.  We had planned on Voom for both of us and had also planned on a lunch at Chops. Toss in the fact that I no longer have to decide on/book our show reservations in advance and that my daughter will have times that are less crowded (supposedly) for things like the rock wall and flow rider and the pricing made sense for us.  

Just like an unlimited drink package or the ultimate dining package this is one of those things where the price to value quotient will be dependent on what is important to you.  Not a 'one size fits all' option.  We did the math for OUR needs/wants and saw value once the price was $19.99.  And yes, some of the value is what we figured our time was worth, not everyone places a value on their time. For us, time waiting in lines we felt was better spent doing something else.   

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 4

Don't really understand the dropping of handbaggage early perk. If you can 'ditch the handbaggage early' then what's the point of carrying it on. Why not just check it with the rest of the baggage at check in. Unless it is water or soda which you can't check, but I'm happy with ships water and I don't drink soda so no issue

Edited by sgmn

11 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Don't really understand the dropping of handbaggage early perk. If you can 'ditch the handbaggage early' then what's the point of carrying it on. Why not just check it with the rest of the baggage at check in. Unless it is water or soda which you can't check, but I'm happy with ships water and I don't drink soda so no issue

It's just one of the perks...........it would not be a major reason for buying "The Key" people are just stating it is an available option once onboard.

14 minutes ago, sgmn said:

It gets delivered inside your stateroom and doesn’t sit in the hall and won’t be manhandled onto the ship.  

On 12/21/2018 at 12:51 PM, morganmpink said:

FYI, I am not sure if its true for your ship, but The Key was 20% off today in Cruise Planner. I had already purchased it, canceled it at the old price ($24.99) and repurchased today. Saved over $100! 

I also did this for the Nov 2 Symphony sailing, which will be quite busy and lots of lines.  Well worth it, in my mind.  Thanks for the heads up!

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Post # 1 in this thread is exactly what I'm trying to avoid..........1 hour and 15 min. before the show starts.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Post # 1 in this thread is exactly what I'm trying to avoid..........1 hour and 15 min. before the show starts.

She wanted front row center. If you need to have one of ten seats out of hundreds then I guess you either put in the time or you pay up.

Showing up to the theater 75 minutes early for a specific seat is a choice; not what you have to normally do.  I have never shown up to a show more than 10 minutes before show time and we have always found seats together no problem in the theater.  For ice skating I will show up 15 mins before scheduled to start.  

I wonder with the Key if they release seats at 5 mins to show time or if they hold seats 5-10 mins into the show and then release them?  How do they know how many seats to hold at early and late shows for Key holders? What if all key holders show up for late show and none show up for the early show? 

24 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I wonder with the Key if they release seats at 5 mins to show time or if they hold seats 5-10 mins into the show and then release them?  How do they know how many seats to hold at early and late shows for Key holders? What if all key holders show up for late show and none show up for the early show?  

OMG😱

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Pretty much the minimum you get with a suite.  Instead of lunch in Chops you can have lunch in Costal Kitchen.  

9 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

Pretty much the minimum you get with a suite.  Instead of lunch in Chops you can have lunch in Costal Kitchen.  

Yes but the price I'm paying for a regular balcony cabin compared to a suite is probably 1/5 of what you are paying for that suite. I'm not going to pay what they charge for those suites just to eat at coastal kitchen.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sgmn said:

We carry on my DH’s cpap, so for us it would be nice to have it dropped off early...  but, still not nice enough for us to pay for the key...

We actually just booked this for our 8 night on the Anthem leaving Jan. 26.  Price dropped to $19.99 per person, so I started crunching the numbers.  We already spent $160 ish on internet for each of us + $45 ish for lunch at Chops the first day to avoid crowds - so, by the time I cancelled those and applied it to The Key, we only paid about $50 pp total extra to get internet for each of us, priority boarding, lunch, priority seating at shows, priority tender, etc.  Worth it for us!

Our fine print: 

The Key: The Key package is valid for the duration of the cruise. Package includes carry-on luggage drop off with delivery to stateroom, welcome lunch at Chops Grille, private hours for ship attractions, priority debarkation and tendering at ports of call, reserved VIP seating at shows, complimentary VOOM Surf + Stream internet package for one device per person and choice debarkation with exclusive à la carte breakfast. Price is per person, per voyage. All

Edited by Abr155
  • Like 1

Wow 397 posts is a lot of reading, but very informative and I will mention this thread in my roll call later tonight as it has become a hot topic over there.  But here are my thoughts on this ...

-- Cost ... $50 a day or $350 a week for the two of us is not worth it so we are passing on it. Gotta love the exchange rate.

-- Chops ... I have been to Chops last year and my wife has never been. However, a good steak meal is something to be savored and not rushed as it would be on embarkation day. Plus on my last cruise (solo) I got to the ship after the Chops meal is offered so it would have been a loss had I purchased the Key. So I'll save my money and treat my wife to Chops later in the cruise when we can appreciate the steaks the way the beef gods intended.

-- Internet ... I don't know how fast the net is on Oasis class ships but on Vision o/t Seas it was slow as hell and not worth the money. But I was gone for 16 days and I needed to check in with home and with Air Canada 24 hours prior to flying home so I had to buy it twice. However, now we are Diamond and we each get 24 hours free and I have been told by other Diamond & higher members that the concierge in the Diamond lounge will print off our boarding passes for us.

-- Priority port Disembarkation ... I might be reading into this wrong, but to me this means that if you stop at Cozumel (for example) you can rush off the ship faster then anyone else.  My question to this is ... who gets ultimate priority between Key people and Excursion people?

The rest of the "perks" listed are not worth commenting on since we have no interest in them.

This thread has me back and forth on this. Like others I think faster to the fun on carnival is worth it at that price. 

Our upcoming sailing is on the freedom. For our family of 4 with one under 6 I’m not sure if this is worth the $550 cdn for the week. We were thinking of getting vroom for two devices and considering seeing if we can make do with one since it’s so pricey. Say we did go with two, the difference is about $165 for the week vs the key with three devices. We would probably be okay with braving the windjammer when we get onboard  but if we did lunch at Chops it’s $28 each (why isn’t there kids pricing?!) it leaves an outstanding $53 or so for shorter line ups at the flowrider and not having to worry about good seats for the shows...

I have it in my shopping cart but not sure if I will check out.

• Like 1