Ship to Replace Anthem in Bayonne

1 hour ago, Sunfun68 said:

Sunfun68: "...especially since the propulsion system on the Oasis is even more advanced and precise as that on the Anthem". 

Biker19:  "How is that?"

Sunfun68:  Oasis has 3 azipods with a total of 60MW of power for maneuvering while the Anthem has only 2 with 41MW.

Short tutorial on quoting, go to the post you want to quote and use the quote button that is under the text.  If you want to quote multiple posts, click on the + sign and then click quote on each you want to quote.  

On to content, who says the propulsion is more advanced?  Are you just comparing numbers or did someone tell you this?

10 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Short tutorial on quoting, go to the post you want to quote and use the quote button that is under the text.  If you want to quote multiple posts, click on the + sign and then click quote on each you want to quote.  

On to content, who says the propulsion is more advanced?  Are you just comparing numbers or did someone tell you this?

Thanks; I just gave it a try and it appears to work.  As a retired engineer, I am using logic.  If a ship has three points from which to direct 360 degree propulsion (i.e. Oasis) it will have at least the same and most likely better ability to maneuver than a ship that has only two points (i.e. Anthem) to direct propulsion.

10 minutes ago, Sunfun68 said:

Thanks; I just gave it a try and it appears to work.  As a retired engineer, I am using logic.  If a ship has three points from which to direct 360 degree propulsion (i.e. Oasis) it will have at least the same and most likely better ability to maneuver than a ship that has only two points (i.e. Anthem) to direct propulsion.

I thought the third azipod is fixed on Oasis class.

Edited by Biker19

Yes the one in the middle is a fixed pod. And you have to consider bow thruster power as well. Overall Radiance class still offer the best maneuverability due to their gas turbine power and sleek design. Much better than e.g. Voyager and Freedom class.

And who is more powerful, a bus with 500 hp or a Porsche with 300 hp?

29 minutes ago, Sunfun68 said:

Yup, you got the quoting down.

As far as the rest, your Oasis information is incorrect.  You also can not look at just the azipods, there is more to it than that. 

23 hours ago, Robo1098 said:

Sorry, I know as I live in Florida I am biased but I don't see the sense in bringing Oasis up north. So many open areas that won't be usable when it cools off. I know that is why they are limiting the months up there but when I saw the move I was hoping that at least they would sail to Bermuda. The ports it is going to go are the least appealing of all for me. Just personal opinion.

No one expects you to fly from Florida to New Jersey in the summer to cruise to Florida and the Bahamas.  YOU are not the target audience.

21 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

So, if it is that easy as you insist for the Oasis to dock in Bermuda could you explain why she does not have one stop scheduled for her 2020 itineraries out of Bayonne.  Instead she is almost exclusively doing the boring 7 night Bahamas run.

Here is my wild guess:

Five night cruises require offsetting nine night cruises.  Week-long cruises roll on smoothly, one after the other.

Nine night cruises are a harder sell to the family crowd because of work schedules.

Seven night cruises sell well.

RC will rake in the big bucks in the summer of 2020.

Gypsy_Fortune_Teller-300x199.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Here is my wild guess:

Five night cruises require offsetting nine night cruises.  Week-long cruises roll on smoothly, one after the other.

Nine night cruises are a harder sell to the family crowd because of work schedules.

Seven night cruises sell well.

RC will rake in the big bucks in the summer of 2020.

Gypsy_Fortune_Teller-300x199.jpg

Lots of other lines including Royal and the Anthem stopping in Bermuda on 7 night cruises.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Lots of other lines including Royal and the Anthem stopping in Bermuda on 7 night cruises.

Anthem has only 3 seven night cruises to Bermuda in 2019.  A single overnight there.  All in April - timed for spring break.  

There has to be a reason that Anthem is  not doing more.

Now I am leaning towards the "Bermuda isn't ready for an Oasis class ship" argument.  😉

On 12/12/2018 at 6:32 PM, gaylemh said:

Where are you finding balcony cabins for the January 6, 2019 cruise? I have check 6 different websites and there are none showing.  I have the January 6th booked solo in a 2D balcony cabin for $1503 with $300 OBC. I don't think you can beat that price.  I don't think I'm doing it wrong.  Is the $1400 per person without taxes and port charges?  My friend has also be trying to book the 2/3/19 for months in a balcony cabin.  They have been sold out for months and when one did show up it was over $3000 solo.

I cant provide direct links due to forum rules..

But I browse a website that shows a ticker for departures in the next 90 days. I then go to a website where agencies compete on cruise quotes.

Looks like you did well with the $300 OBC for the Jan 6 cruise, Im just noting balconies are still available, although without such a generous OBC.

3 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

No one expects you to fly from Florida to New Jersey in the summer to cruise to Florida and the Bahamas.  YOU are not the target audience.

Actually I have entertained the idea of cruising on Anthem to Bermuda. Even if I was in New York I wouldn't bother on a seven day cruise to Nassau.

4 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Yes the one in the middle is a fixed pod. And you have to consider bow thruster power as well. Overall Radiance class still offer the best maneuverability due to their gas turbine power and sleek design. Much better than e.g. Voyager and Freedom class.

And who is more powerful, a bus with 500 hp or a Porsche with 300 hp?

All of these ships have astronomical maneuverability as a result of their 360 degree azipods; the type of generator that supplies the electric power to the azipod has zero effect on maneuverability.

7 day sailings to Bermuda are typically limited to a double-overnight or another nearby port in the northeast like Boston.  It would be nice for Anthem to do more double-overnights like Norwegian does, but 5 days with a single overnight isn't bad for a quick getaway.

It's a shame Oasis can't do Bermuda because that's really the only thing that would interest me out of New York besides the NE/Canada that I've already done.  The 9 day rotation with Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean is a nice itinerary that would be ideal if only they could get the approvals in Bermuda.

This is a quote from an expert:

In 1999, with the launch of Voyager of the Seas – then the largest cruise ship in the world – RCL has also cut a substantial chunk out of its ships’ operating costs by using a massive propulsion device trade-named the Azipod.

Produced by Swedish-Swiss engineering concern ABB, the Azipod is a fixed-pitch propeller mounted on a gondola or pod that can be turned in a complete circle – enabling the ship to turn 360 degrees without moving forward or back. The pod contains the electric motor that drives the propeller. Because it can turn to any point of the compass, the need for a rudder is eliminated.

„The pod improves efficiency, and it improves the maneuverability significantly,” says Capt. Patrik Dahlgren, vice president of marine operations for Celebrity Cruises’ and fleet optimization for all RCL brands. “When you build really large cruise ships like when we started with the Voyager class, there were two Azipods and one fixipod,” which provides thrust but doesn’t rotate.

The fixipod was left off of subsequent newbuilds, and the Azipods continued to be mounted in pairs, with the redundancy providing backup propulsion if one fails.

Edited by Saab4444

On 12/14/2018 at 7:05 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

Not picking on you, but...

For some you may be right but that’s making a lot of excuse for crappy itineraries.  Itinerary has equal  weight for us regardless of the class of ship.  I’m guessing we’re not alone.

Dan

Sad to say but the best Port of call on that itinerary is Cape Liberty with Manhattan being on the other side of the harbor. I can go to the real Central Park and Broadway plays, not to mention the best restaurants, shopping and museums. Why would I want a simulated experience just to go to Florida.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 12:21 PM, A&L_Ont said:

I'm with you Pratique.   However, boscobeans makes valid points, if you live withing driving distance of Bayonne.

For us to travel from from Toronto to Newark, over Florida, it is 1 hour VS 2.5 hours of actual flight time.  Either way, it is an entire day lost to travel for us.  In the winter there is no way we'd give up the first and last day on a ship to cold weather, when we have limited time.  We did it once from Galveston, on our 3rd cruise and once was enough. 

I would consider Bayonne in the summer, but not on the current Oasis itinerary option.  The port selections leave a lot to be desired.  It really is what works for the individual. 

Sounds like a unicorn flowrider on those two days

On 12/14/2018 at 12:48 PM, A&L_Ont said:

You could very well be 100% right to the highlighted above.  That being said the ships in the Caribbean are filled with even more people from the Frozen North. The best thing is there are options, and there are options for most everyone.  

The way it looks outside my window I'd cruise to anywhere south right now; departing from exotic Bayonne, Galveston or Port Canaveral.😀

Sunday, Funday in PC

20181216_105039.jpg

Grandeur was here yesterday, kind of gloomy

Edited by John&LaLa