Detained in Nassau with no help from cruise line.

lbsaady

23 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Do they really ask you about pot?  That's surprising.  Heck, it's now legal in 10 states!!  

I personally haven't been down there since it's been legalized and been asked myself, but apparently it's now a tactic if the border agent is having a bad day or doesn't like the look of you.... it's literally ridiculous that you could fly down to Denver, smoke a joint there, come back to Canada and go back down the following weekend and be deemed 'inadmissable' by being honest.  Anyone who would actually CARRY it from Canada across the border to the US should know better, but that should be what they care about, not any past use. 

https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-canada-marijuana-immigration-20181015-story.html

Here's our official government site saying they can't do much if some border agent decides that you smoking a joint legally last week in Canada isn't OK...

"Previous use of cannabis, or any other substance prohibited by local law, could result in a traveller being denied entry to his or her destination country."

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/cannabis-and-international-travel

And they've even given some stick to people just working in the industry... (which will hardly be uncommon now that people can make legit good money at it, knowing it's completely legal).

https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2018/07/05/canadian-cannabis-workers-targeted-by-us-border-guards-for-lifetime-bans.html

I wonder how many Americans have been to Amsterdam and went to a cafe?  I mean technically it isn't even LEGALIZED in the Netherlands, it's just 'decriminalized'?  Ridiculous, isn't it? :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, robtulipe said:

Yes, there has been major headlines in our news in Canada.

One Canadian, who was an investor in the marijuana industry here in Canada, even though recreational pot is now legal in all of Canada, stated he was going to a marijuana industry convention in Vegas and was refused entry by the US CBP because of the purpose of his trip. Also those who work in the marijuana industry here have been advised that their job would likely not allow them to enter the USA. 

Yes, it's unbelievable even though it is legal in many states in the USA.

That's a very unique POTUS you have down there.

7 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

I personally haven't been down there since it's been legalized and been asked myself, but apparently it's now a tactic if the border agent is having a bad day or doesn't like the look of you.... it's literally ridiculous that you could fly down to Denver, smoke a joint there, come back to Canada and go back down the following weekend and be deemed 'inadmissable' by being honest.  Anyone who would actually CARRY it from Canada across the border to the US should know better, but that should be what they care about, not any past use. 

https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-canada-marijuana-immigration-20181015-story.html

Here's our official government site saying they can't do much if some border agent decides that you smoking a joint legally last week in Canada isn't OK...

"Previous use of cannabis, or any other substance prohibited by local law, could result in a traveller being denied entry to his or her destination country."

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/cannabis-and-international-travel

And they've even given some stick to people just working in the industry... (which will hardly be uncommon now that people can make legit good money at it, knowing it's completely legal).

https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2018/07/05/canadian-cannabis-workers-targeted-by-us-border-guards-for-lifetime-bans.html

I wonder how many Americans have been to Amsterdam and went to a cafe?  I mean technically it isn't even LEGALIZED in the Netherlands, it's just 'decriminalized'?  Ridiculous, isn't it? :classic_laugh:

Shocking and ridiculous.  IMO smoking a little weed is no worse than having a couple drinks.  Some of those border agents have a real attitude, even with us Americans.  Just keep your mouth shut and you'll be fine 😁

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Biker, who figured right that the click-bait thread title would lead to post whoring.

The only one not overly active is the OP.  I’d like to hear how her son’s detainment went/was resolved.

Edited by A&L_Ont

14 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You should.  The above is a recent compass from Enchantment and there is no mention of it there so it’s entirely possible other ships are no longer posting it in the compass.  I was shocked to see this as I had always remembered it being there but it’s not.

I should be surprised, but being wrong about policies on RCI cruises is pretty easy.  Why would they stop posting this fundamental advice?  Just plain dumb.

My apologies to everyone, I trusted RCI would not do anything that stupid.

13 hours ago, WorkerBee74 said:

I am consistently reminded how odd it is that some Americans think they don't need ID while in foreign countries.  I'm Canadian, and I couldn't even IMAGINE thinking I could get into the US (or any other country for that matter) without some type of ID, let alone back into Canada when I return.  Considering how strict the US is with immigration (have you ever tried to re-enter your own country with someone from another country?  I've driven across the border with American friends who get asked nothing, while I get the full workover.) I find it pretty short-sighted to think that you can just go to any other country and not have ID.  

This isn't meant to be offensive, but come on people, of COURSE you need ID!!

I agree it's another reason we Americans are considered arrogant. Just come and go as you please, everyone needs to speak English and how dare you ask me for ID.  I just don't understand the mentality of carrying around a worthless piece of paper instead of your legal documents. It's so ironic that these same paranoid people would allow a stranger from the cruise line to root around in the safe amongst other valuables looking for a passports to be handed off to another stranger. I just don't get this logic. Sorry but if I'm in a foreign land I want my credentials with me.

• Like 1

I live in the Philippines 6 months every year but keep my passport safe at my house in the province until it is time to leave.  I found in the past that my DL is all the ID I need, even gets me the senior discount for food and bus rides.  The only use I have for expired DL is to make up a drop wallet with expired credit cards I never renewed and 20 pesos to be surrendered in sticky situations.  Have not had to use it yet.

I think it should be left up to each family re carrying passport around. We have our dl and sea pass cards as ID. I think it easier to lose a passport based on its size and plus it's a pia to replace. Being an American, I can say at least on my end, I worry about my passport being stolen and used. It's far easier to use someone's passport than a DL. I am far more nervous about theft in Europe of my passport than the Caribbean. Perhaps I'm paranoid. I do want to point something out to the above poster re Americans being arrogant. I personally am not deluded to expect everyone in a foreign country will speak English. I do expect it in my own country from anyone who has lived here over 10 years citizen or illegal. It's our national language. And a lot of Americans worry about ID being stolen as we have had a few problems in the states with identity theft. So that may be why the hesitation with taking the passport off ship. We carried ours in Italy for 3 days because we didn't have a safe in our hotels. I would never take it out in the Caribbean with the snorkeling trips we do. My husband, 4 years ago, forgot to zip his fanny pack in st Martin snorkeling and lost 3 DL, 3 sea pass cards, 1 credit card, and $250. So, yes, theres no way I want to go through that again with a passport. If we hadn't left our passports on the ship, we would have had no ID to board our plane after our cruise. It was awful trying to get back on ship with no ID and 3 kids. 

On 11/20/2018 at 10:05 PM, Iamcruzin said:

Every time I read about people leaving the authentic ID in the safe and carrying around a counterfeit copy of ID I think to myself ,some day their luck is going to run out.

Hyperbole much?  :classic_rolleyes:

A photocopy is only a "counterfeit" if you're attempting to pass it off as an original document.  In this case, it's simply a "copy" of the original, not a form of fraud.  

29 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I personally am not deluded to expect everyone in a foreign country will speak English. I do expect it in my own country from anyone who has lived here over 10 years citizen or illegal. It's our national language.

There is no official "national language" in the USA. 

There SHOULD be, but that's another discussion....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Do they really ask you about pot?  That's surprising.  Heck, it's now legal in 10 states!!  

But, it's still against Federal Law and CBP are Federal law enforcement officers.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I think it should be left up to each family re carrying passport around. We have our dl and sea pass cards as ID. I think it easier to lose a passport based on its size and plus it's a pia to replace. Being an American, I can say at least on my end, I worry about my passport being stolen and used. It's far easier to use someone's passport than a DL. I am far more nervous about theft in Europe of my passport than the Caribbean. Perhaps I'm paranoid. I do want to point something out to the above poster re Americans being arrogant. I personally am not deluded to expect everyone in a foreign country will speak English. I do expect it in my own country from anyone who has lived here over 10 years citizen or illegal. It's our national language. And a lot of Americans worry about ID being stolen as we have had a few problems in the states with identity theft. So that may be why the hesitation with taking the passport off ship. We carried ours in Italy for 3 days because we didn't have a safe in our hotels. I would never take it out in the Caribbean with the snorkeling trips we do. My husband, 4 years ago, forgot to zip his fanny pack in st Martin snorkeling and lost 3 DL, 3 sea pass cards, 1 credit card, and $250. So, yes, theres no way I want to go through that again with a passport. If we hadn't left our passports on the ship, we would have had no ID to board our plane after our cruise. It was awful trying to get back on ship with no ID and 3 kids. 

They want to make it difficult to get back on the ship without ID so people don't think it's not a big deal if they don't want to carry it.  Otherwise, you'd have people not bringing it so they don't have to worry about or carry it if they thought they could easily get back on.

31 minutes ago, CapeGal said:

Happened to me too. I know I didn't say anything rude. 😞

Hmmm I still haven't found out what the REAL problem was.  IF you are entering the pier area, the ship's company is NOT responsible for your documentation.  You are in another country and you need to show proper ID to get back to the ship.

23 hours ago, WorkerBee74 said:

I am consistently reminded how odd it is that some Americans think they don't need ID while in foreign countries.  I'm Canadian, and I couldn't even IMAGINE thinking I could get into the US (or any other country for that matter) without some type of ID, let alone back into Canada when I return.  Considering how strict the US is with immigration (have you ever tried to re-enter your own country with someone from another country?  I've driven across the border with American friends who get asked nothing, while I get the full workover.) I find it pretty short-sighted to think that you can just go to any other country and not have ID.  

This isn't meant to be offensive, but come on people, of COURSE you need ID!!

Much of the rest of the world is required to carry ID at ALL TIMES.

There are very few countries that require you to physically show any ID when entering at the port.  The ship may send passport info, but that, not under my control.

Few countries require any ID to re-enter the port.  Only your seapass card.

Edited by steveru621

2 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

There are very few countries that require you to physically show any ID when entering at the port.  The ship may send passport info, but that, not under my control.

In what century? I cannot recall a single Caribbean port area that did not require the presentation of id to gain entrance. As does Port Everglades.

11 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Few countries require any ID to re-enter the port.  Only your seapass card.

Have frequently had to show ID in many Caribbean ports and Mexico. 

On 11/22/2018 at 3:50 AM, brillohead said:

There is no official "national language" in the USA. 

There SHOULD be, but that's another discussion....

But to get citizenship, i.e. naturalized, you need to pass an English oral exam.  English might not have been proclaimed as the national language in the USA, but it is in practice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Have frequently had to show ID in many Caribbean ports and Mexico. 

Few and frequently are relative terms.  Not disagreeing, but the only one I remember is St. Thomas.  Can only think of one or two overseas.

Also, I'm taking into account leaving the ship and coming back on the ship.

It's only my opinion, but I doubt I'ds are required greater than 50% of the time.  Required or not, ID's are required on my watch.

16 minutes ago, broberts said:

In what century? I cannot recall a single Caribbean port area that did not require the presentation of id to gain entrance. As does Port Everglades.

I didn't need to show ID last week in Cozumel or Costa Maya, only my seapass card. In Nassau I didn't need ID to enter the port area but I did need it to get through the area with the scanners. 

• Like 1