Detained in Nassau with no help from cruise line.

lbsaady

We are onboard the Navigator.

We checked the cruise compass.(again)

The OP is correct...there's absolutely nothing in the cruise compass telling passengers to bring a photo ID.

As I said on my previous post, using the word "detained" by the OP was improper. I made the same mistake and took full responsibility...my fault not RCCL's. See my post, #45, and we can all laugh about it.

No one was detained.

Let's give the OP a break...lesson learned.

(Grandma Dazzles, we respect you and have learned from you,...but I am here to tell you, and others, it is not on the cruise compass on our day 2 in Nassau.)

58 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Do you take your purse/wallet with you? Do you take cash or a credit card? Do you take your cell phone? A camera? What do you do to keep those things from getting lost or stolen? If you treated your passport with the same security as you treat those other things, your passport would never get stolen.

There are two sides to the "leave the passport on the ship or take it off with you" argument. I am one of the people that would never get off the ship without my passport. I protect it in the same manner that I protect my wallet.

As you stated in a later post, you and I won’t change each other’s minds on whether to bring a passport off with us or not.

But to answer your question directly to me,   of course I take other items with me in port and other times in my life that I don’t want stolen and keep them secure. The difference is losing a phone or credit cards to a pickpocket or thief who only needs a few seconds of inattenion  (and who love tourist areas) is a heck of a lot easier to replace than a passport which I will need to disembark a few days later.   And implying that I can thwart all thieves by being diligent enough in port seems to underestimate criminals and/or imply that anyone who has stuff stolen must be careless. 

I also carry hard photocopies and digital copies of all of our passprts when I travel. But I really don’t want to have to figure out the process of how to get off the ship without the original. 

Just peace of mind for me. Obviously you get peace of mind differently, which is all good.     There is usually more than one solution to any problem and this is a perfect example. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

There are two sides to the "leave the passport on the ship or take it off with you" argument. I am one of the people that would never get off the ship without my passport. I protect it in the same manner that I protect my wallet.

I've gone back and forth on the whole "take the passport or leave it on the ship" debate. Finally decided to leave it on the ship is best while taking the drivers license with us. Basically because it is easier to replace a stolen credit card or drivers licenses than it is a passport.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

The OP is correct...there's absolutely nothing in the cruise compass telling passengers to bring a photo ID.

As I said on my previous post, using the word "detained" by the OP was improper. I made the same mistake and took full responsibility...my fault not RCCL's. See my post, #45, and we can all laugh about it.

No one was detained.

(Grandma Dazzles, we respect you and have learned from you,...but I am here to tell you, and others, it is not on the cruise compass on our day 2 in Nassau.)

Bonsai3 - I believe you. But its only a matter of time before someone demands photo proof.

I'm not sure how often the Cruise Compass are updated but I have noticed typos and inconsistencies in the past. Usually minor stuff like the show times on the back page not matching the show times listed in the details on page 2.

Wouldn't surprise me if the wording about a photo ID being required as accidentally deleted when someone was updating the weather report or sunrise/sunset times.

OK. We have all beat this to death. And although we always take photo ID, see my earlier post in this same thread. The Compass could be more clear ... based on experience last week on Harmony of the Seas. Sometimes it says take SeaPass and sometimes SeaPass and photo ID and sometimes the paragraph and title in the Compass on this subject are not accurate or do not match. 

I do think RC could improve in the written description of this subject in the Compass. 

Happy cruising to all. 

Guest maddycat
23 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

On our last cruise, while waiting to board, I said something to dd20 about her drivers license. She said that she didn’t bring it because she had her passport. We booked a jet ski excursion, and had 3 minors who had to go with a licensed adult. Fortunately, she volunteered to help check everyone’s ID’s and got away with it.

Went to the Statue of Liberty with the family, go to check in, ask ds20 for his driver’s license. He said he didn’t have it, he wasn’t driving. They actually let him pull up his Instagram account on their computer to verify his identity. 

Young adults don’t seem to get that if they have a drivers license, they should have it with them. Dd17 was next to kohl’s and I had an online order for her to pick up. Nope, no license (someone else drove). All of my kids now know to always have it on their person.

However, old timey adults should be in this habit.

I bet that they wouldn't think of leaving the house without their phones.

4 hours ago, kinggartk said:

Interesting....we just got off a 7 day on Oasis and they said absolutely nothing about documents needed at ports.  We did have the forethought to ask questions in advance however.  Most of what we found out was from other passengers.

It’s there in the cruise compass on the first page of each day you are in port.  Here’s a recent Oasis compass.

4AEE6431-B86D-498E-A7EB-CBC1E5E6AF3D.png

A1424737-4010-4E8D-A2DE-7C80A491D61F.png

Edited by Ourusualbeach

It is true that it’s NOT on every compass.

Here’s a recent enchantment compass for Nassau and it doesn’t say anything. 

Sure I've only screen capped the first page by you can easily look at the conpasses for the whole of that cruise online and not see it mentioned  

E88A18AB-D7A9-4159-9CE5-03BDDB484D2B.thumb.jpeg.d68b67b713ec9556cd395be55defa1e2.jpeg

7 hours ago, KuffMUp said:

Not a good idea to use your expired DL for ID. It may have worked for you so far but expired ID is not "valid" government issued ID.   Come to my place of business and you will get nowhere with your expired ID.  If I can't get into a bar, buy cigarettes, or in those locals with new marijuana shops, buying marijuana, or getting fingerprinted for my new job with an expired license, why would I want to risk getting back on the ship in a foreign country with it?

Actually an expired government ID like a Driver's Licence or a passport is still a valid government document that can be used as official identification or for establishing a person age but cannot be used for its intended purpose like driving or travelling to most foreign countries.

As an example DW was at a bank about eight months age to open up a credit card in her name only and was asked for ID to establish her name and address. She used her DL and it was accepted by the bank employee who did note it was expired and advise her of that. It turned out DW had renewed her DL three months prior and had never received her new DL.

We also have a friend, who went to cross into New York state from Ontario a couple of years ago with her expired by two months Cdn passport. It was accepted by the US border agent to establish she was a Cdn citizen and was allowed to cross into the USA. He also advised her she should renew her passport. Maybe the regulation are different where you live but I doubt it as show above that my friend's expired passport was accepted as ID by a US government agent.

The government issued photo ID is used when going into the pier area to establish you are the person the ship's card was issued to. In our 58 cruises I've never had the expiry date checked on our government IDs when entering the pier area on a port stop. Port security just verifies the photo is of you and the name matches the one on the ship's card.

To actually get on the ship one only needs the ship's card as they have access to your photo. I've never had to show other ID then.

Edited by robtulipe

12 hours ago, robtulipe said:

I also could do the same with my Ontario Health card as port security only check that the photo and name on the ID card matches the name on your ship's card and it's a government issued ID.

You gotta love that Health card we all have up here in the great white north!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

We were at Nassau with 3 other ships...the port was quite crowded.

There was no requirement to show a photo ID to leave the gated port area.

There was no requirement for a photo ID to re-enter the gated port area...just your Seapass card.

A photo ID and your Seapass card were required at the second gate leading back to the ships.

Perhaps the improperly used word in the title "DETAINED", may have caused the confusion. No one was being detained at the port. We saw numerous passengers being instructed to go to the "military" booth so that security can confirm who you are using a ship's manifest.

I know...I was one of those who did not have the common sense to bring a photo ID...instead I chose to bring an "electronic" photo of my passport that was not accepted...my wife sarcastically said "I told you so!". (She brought her phto ID)

At the military booth, the Nassau security personnel asked to see our Seapass cards. Then asked my me "Is this your wife. do you have the same last name?" I said "Thi is my beautiful wife"...he let us through the gate.

(For the OP...welcome to Cruise Critic...We just checked the compass and there's no nention of bringing a photo ID.) I was stupid for thinking an "e" photo wiuld be accepted... again, No one was being detained. Happy sailing.

Well thank you for clearing that up and thank you for informing us the fact that a photo copy or electronic photo of a passport or other ID aren't accepted. Every time I read about people leaving the authentic ID in the safe and carrying around a counterfeit copy of ID I think to myself ,some day their luck is going to run out. I carry my drivers license with me every day at home as I am sure everyone else does. I have never lost my license or was it ever stolen in 40years of having it. The odds are greater of losing it at home than they are on a 7 day cruise. I am much more alert to my surroundings in a foreign place than I am at home and I'm sure most people are the same way. Honestly it's not that big of a deal to replace a passport or drivers license. Inconvenient yes. Difficult no. Passport and Driver license are of no use to anyone especially now with having to obtain a real ID drivers license. It's the credit cards, cash and what ever is in the Diamonds International shopping bag  that they want.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

No one was detained.

I don't buy it.

15 hours ago, steveru621 said:

You must have found the needle in the haystack.  After 29 cruises I have never, ever, not seen a reminder in the cruise compass to take a photo ID off the ship in port.

I just looked at my compass from the Mariner in August, there is a reminder to take you ID with you in it.

11 hours ago, GarlicBread said:

It is true that it’s NOT on every compass.

Here’s a recent enchantment compass for Nassau and it doesn’t say anything. 

Sure I've only screen capped the first page by you can easily look at the conpasses for the whole of that cruise online and not see it mentioned  

E88A18AB-D7A9-4159-9CE5-03BDDB484D2B.thumb.jpeg.d68b67b713ec9556cd395be55defa1e2.jpeg

7 hours ago, steveru621 said:

I don't buy it.

You should.  The above is a recent compass from Enchantment and there is no mention of it there so it’s entirely possible other ships are no longer posting it in the compass.  I was shocked to see this as I had always remembered it being there but it’s not.

• Like 2

I agree it's best to take photo ID, but in around 13-14 ports I've visited, only St. Thomas asked for ID when getting off (caught many out) and on the ship, and Puerto Rico oddly only checked it when we were getting back on (my partner was let through without it).

And for the person suggesting the CD tells you on his TV channel - ours was soooo boring on our cruise just gone that we never watched it after day two. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing

13 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

what about the inserts with all the port information?   is it there?   I have only been to Nassau once( on NAV no less) but it was Christmas Day  so it was a big disappointment as nothing was open and the streets were blocked off for the parade.  we are military where you are require to have your ID with  you at all times so it never even occurred to us to NOT bring   a picture ID off the ship with us.  

I always have my DL with me since many stores require it if you use a credit card to make a purchase (and, after all the cruises, I know they do check - well, at least I have been checked at the ports).  This past cruise I had my DL and my Passport Card with me.  Turned out lucky for me at Costa Maya since, with a Passport/Passport Card, there was some sort of tax incentive thing.  I purchased at a store and they brought me with my ID to the teeny tiny governmental office that's in the shopping center.  Within a few minutes, I was on my way and 2 days later, a credit appeared on my credit card.  Everyone I knew laughed that I got the Passport Card (for "wasting my money) - but some are getting it now for the "just in case" situation.  And, yes, it can be used as ID to return to the ship as well.  Just FYI to all.

On 11/19/2018 at 3:21 PM, lbsaady said:

It is not on the Cruise compass 

We are on this cruise. It is NOT on the compass, I am looking at Day 2 compass right now. If I knew how to post a picture I would, but that will have to wait until we get home. My husband stayed on the ship that day and as I was leaving said to me “you just need your seapass card”. I then checked the compass and that’s all it said, seapass card. I brought my drive license just in case, and was so glad I did. REPEAT: does not say photo ID on compass!

Edited by YlangYlangF9PB3E
Spelled license wrong

14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I've gone back and forth on the whole "take the passport or leave it on the ship" debate. Finally decided to leave it on the ship is best while taking the drivers license with us. Basically because it is easier to replace a stolen credit card or drivers licenses than it is a passport.

It's also easier to have your identification stolen using a driver's license than a passport.

For what it's worth, bringing a photocopy of your passport is utterly useless. If you choose to leave it on the ship for some stupid reason, so be it. But don't lie to yourself and think that photocopy is worth anything. You would still need the actual passport to travel, and that information would be retrieved electronically whether or not you're holding a piece of paper.

49 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

For what it's worth, bringing a photocopy of your passport is utterly useless. If you choose to leave it on the ship for some stupid reason, so be it. But don't lie to yourself and think that photocopy is worth anything. You would still need the actual passport to travel, and that information would be retrieved electronically whether or not you're holding a piece of paper.

I don't appreciate this comment.  I am far from stupid.  I'm not comfortable taking my passport off the ship unless it's a requirement, and as I stated in an earlier post that has only happened twice in over 40 cruises on 5 continents.  You are comfortable taking yours and that's fine.  Let's leave it at that.