Ideas for Christmas Gift for Crew Members

cruzinfourfun

9 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Still don't understand why there is such an aversion to giving cash as a gift, if you feel so inclined.  It's a universally appreciated gift that no one is ever disappointed with.

It's because people who give little trinkets and tchotchkes are just doing so to make themselves feel special, not the crew. It's a disgusting act of narcissism. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

It's because people who give little trinkets and tchotchkes are just doing so to make themselves feel special, not the crew. It's a disgusting act of narcissism. 

Ok Negative Nellie. That is your opinion.

21 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

I agree..just give them CASH..it’s just as good as money.

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

Couldn't agree more.  They think the crew members are some sub-species nipping at their heels for precious relics.

• Like 2

I think the Christmas gift thing is because it’s “expected”.  I would think that the expected tipping would happen no matter what.  

Personally, I’m of mixed mind about a Christmas “gift” (aka extra tip because that’s the right thing for gift givers).  It’s customary in the US (at least in my area) to give extra money at holiday season to everyone and their brother who you do regular business with during the year:  trash guys, newspaper carrier, hairdresser, manicure person, doorman, concierge (if you have, I have neither), dogwalker, etc, etc.  Federal workers can’t accept $$ so a small gift card is customary...

but note the “with whom you’ve done business all year”.  Crew are total strangers before you board, you have no personal ongoing relationship.  Absolutely, 100% DSC and any other tips you would ordinarily give.  beyond that my opinion is if you are in the holiday spirit and want to tip more generously than usual go for it, and it will be appreciated, of course!  Entirely optional; the DSC and auto-tips have covered all expectations, other than the non-DSC staff like butler, concierge, childcare

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, julig22 said:

Not sure if it is true or not but I've heard that technically the crew is supposed to share all tips. So if true (and the crew member does abide by that),  your steward or bartender won't benefit much from your generosity if you give cash.

That is not true.

Now, I have seen a group of bartenders split and share cash tips at the end of their shift.  That’s an agreement between themselves.  But, they are not required to do so.

Edited by graphicguy

As I mentioned in an earlier post, cash is very much appreciated by the crew. Consumables like

candy, etc. is taking a chance. Would you eat food given to you by a stranger? I woudn't.( I am making an

exception for the types of things swapped at meet and greets like jarred BBQ sauce, etc.)

As for trinkets I have seen crew like baseball caps from different countries but as for tee shirts

sizing would be an issue. Magnets, postcards not so much.

6 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, cash is very much appreciated by the crew. Consumables like

candy, etc. is taking a chance. Would you eat food given to you by a stranger? I woudn't.( I am making an

exception for the types of things swapped at meet and greets like jarred BBQ sauce, etc.)

As for trinkets I have seen crew like baseball caps from different countries but as for tee shirts

sizing would be an issue. Magnets, postcards not so much.

Um yes, considering Halloween is right around the corner, yes, I will eat candy from strangers, happily. Now if only I can get my 16 year olds out there in costume, the hottest street in town is 3 houses away, and back in the day when I had 5 of them TOTing I was flush with strangers’ candy!

• Like 1

It is amazing that this thread has gone on since 2018.

By now, the OP likely ended their cruise and does not need anymore advice😂

IMHO, cash for those who are planning a cruise would be the best bet. 

When does a thread like this end? 🙄

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

When people look at the first posting date and sit on their hands instead of rushing to answer.  

And maybe if they made the dates stand out, rather than in a light grey it might change things.

I agree with the cash option as the best bet... however, as a secondary option, you could pack some small stuffed animals (like something that symbolizes where you're from) and some postcards.  Ask the cabin steward if they have kids and you can personalize the gift by writing them notes.  It obviously means more to the cabin steward to include their family and would also mean more to the children.  Just a thought... we've done this on vacations before and it goes well.