Ideas for Christmas Gift for Crew Members

cruzinfourfun

On 11/29/2018 at 10:22 AM, LD Silver said:

On 11/29/2018 at 6:56 AM, LrgPizza said:

While you might believe your intentions are good, you are actually being very selfish here. You are not thinking about the crew, but rather about yourself, and hoping to make yourself stand out, be remembered, and set yourself apart from other passengers, If your head and heart is in the right place, then you would give cash.  It's not about your need to feel special, but about their needs.

On 11/29/2018 at 10:22 AM, LD Silver said:

Perhaps the most pompous post of the year.

LrgPizza made a great post with honesty and reality.  Cruise guests DO give without thinking or for praise from the cruise staff.  There wasn't anything pompous about it.  People need to pay attention and really think or re-think what they 're doing and why.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

But what if the crew don’t eat dog?😳😱🤓

4 hours ago, mugtech said:

As was noted earlier, many of the crew are from the Philippines, so that is not a problem.

Have you not heard of aso adobo?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mugtech said:

Plenty of Muslims and other non-christians in the Philippines.  Plenty of people who celebrate no holidays or birthdays.

They are 94% Christian, compared to the 70% in the US. So no more happy holidays or happy birthdays so to not risk offending people? Everyone gets that trophy!

As on any of our cruises during all different times of the year, we give our steward an additional cash tip, keep a neat cabin and write a compliment card for their good service.

i think this would be appreciated by stewards and/or other staff members at Christmas or at any other time of year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

They are 94% Christian, compared to the 70% in the US. So no more happy holidays or happy birthdays so to not risk offending people? Everyone gets that trophy!

I do not think this is about offending anyone; I think the point of this thread is what is the most appropriate Christmas gift or even whether you should give a gift at all.  Heck if someone wanted to give me extra money in honor of a holiday I didn't celebrate, I believe I would accept it gratefully and gladly in the spirit of in which it was intended. Food and trinkets not so much.

On 12/1/2018 at 9:13 PM, lisakoivu said:

Stop giving gifts to teachers. We don't all celebrate Christmas either. If we did, there are only so many coffee mugs and dollar store candles we can use. Then they go to the landfill. This destroys the earth and raises global temperatures. Please, please don't force your kid's teacher or the NCL crew to participate in the insanity needless collection of useless "things". Give them money to support their families. Give to the foodbank in the name of teachers, crossing guards and hair stylists. 

The gift from parents I as a teacher appreciate most is when they give us a basket with things to eat ( for example cookies, candies, crackers, exclusive jam etc. ) which all teachers share.

My favorite gift is when the kids pick flowers and give me but I get that when the school year ends in June, never for Christmas!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought of a gift idea but it might work for you.

On a January 2017 voyage on the NCL Breakaway, while talking to my cabin steward I learned that his wife who was also a cabin steward that he had not seen in years would be a future voyage I was taking on the NCL Jade later that year in May-June 2017.

While on the Jade, I found her on that voyage and gave her a picture of her husband and me. We talked for a shot while about her husband and she was very grateful for the photo. I also took a picture of her and me. My plan was to give it to him in January 2018 on the Breakaway but by the time I got back to the breakaway he was no longer there.

I left both photos with my cabin steward as he heard that a married couple that were cabin stewards would soon be joining the ship and it may have been them.

I've given local maple syrup to favorite crew members before. It's a special treat that they can't find on board or in most ports. I wouldn't give maple syrup to everyone, but it is something special from home. Otherwise, cash is king. And that's my go-to.

• 10 months later...
On 12/3/2018 at 10:04 PM, April42749 said:

We did the platinum ship tour on the Escape in October.  Hard to believe....but true.  The guide said that just a few workers had to share.  I didn't see any of these cabins....but they are probably just enough room for the bed and a small dresser.

From NCL webite

• Your crew cabin has 1, 2, 3, or 4 bunk beds, desk and chair, T.V. and telephone. Space is very tight.
  • Crew members share cabins with one, two or three team members, depending on the entitlements.
  • You and your roommates are responsible for keeping your cabin clean and tidy at all times.
  • Towels and linens will be provided once a week.
  • No guest in cabins! Violation will result in termination / dismissal.

I asked my room steward once what kind of small gifts he could use - and he said stuff like toothpaste is very appreciated - it's something where they probably have to spend their hard earned money at inflated prices either on the ship or in port.  Certainly not a glamorous gift but to some it is more valuable than the equivalent in cash.  Candy bars seem to be popular as well - no storage issue and they can use them to barter with their crew mates.

Hero cards are good - and perhaps ask if there is something you can bring back for them - many never get to go into port.

5 minutes ago, gooch47 said:

I personally would feel insulted or at least uneasy if someone gave me toothpaste and a toothbrush.  It might hint that I had bad breath.

I agree - just repeating what I was told and why I suggested asking if there is something they'd like from port.

2 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I agree - just repeating what I was told and why I suggested asking if there is something they'd like from port.

If you just leave your toiletries in the bathroom rather than taking them home they are most welcome.

9 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I would not use someone’s left over toiletries.  That does not sound very hygienic.  

using a half bottle of shampoo is not any different to using that thing that is attached to the wall the last guests used.

My point was really that you don't need to hand things to crew, you can just leave a new toothpaste etc etc on the counter.

Edited by ziggyuk

3 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

using a half bottle of shampoo is not any different to using that thing that is attached to the wall the last guests used.

My point was really that you don't need to hand things to crew, you can just leave a new toothpaste etc etc on the counter.

Ah new toothpaste.  That is what was bothering me.  We are on the same page.

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Still don't understand why there is such an aversion to giving cash as a gift, if you feel so inclined.  It's a universally appreciated gift that no one is ever disappointed with.

Not sure if it is true or not but I've heard that technically the crew is supposed to share all tips. So if true (and the crew member does abide by that),  your steward or bartender won't benefit much from your generosity if you give cash.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Not sure if it is true or not but I've heard that technically the crew is supposed to share all tips. So if true (and the crew member does abide by that),  your steward or bartender won't benefit much from your generosity if you give cash.

They don't share if you leave the DSC in place. Any cash given above the DSC is kept by the person you give it to. 

1 hour ago, Sauer-kraut said:

They don't share if you leave the DSC in place. Any cash given above the DSC is kept by the person you give it to. 

And how on earth would they know if you left it in place.