Disappointed with our first Celebrity Cruise within first 24 hrs

mdpa

8 minutes ago, mdpa said:

Thanks, I am 99% sure this is what happened with the drink package. I know that I at least read this fact somewhere on Celebrity’s site. I am not saying that I didn’t get confused. I am just saying that I was frustrated over any sympathy or partial accommodation for this issue. 

Understood.  The important thing here is to try to put it aside and not let it ruin your whole vacation.  Celebrity may have screwed up - they certainly failed to empathize with your situation.  Minus one for Celebrity......  now move on and enjoy what Celebrity does right (and they do do a lot of things right).  Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise😊

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mdpa said:

One other point. My young teenage daughter enjoys feeling like a grown up. She like virgin drinks and the occasional cappuccino. No interest in sodas or alcohol...not sure where people got that idea. I guess I should have said, Classic, non-alcoholic package. 

I think the confusion over this came from your initial post that didn't mention the Classic non alcohol package. There was a promotion a while back that offered the non alcoholic package for children in the same cabin after 2 adults received the Classic package.  Did you book under that? If so, do you have any documentation that verifies that?

• Like 1

Our first Celebrity cruise was 4 years ago and was concierge.  I have to admit it was a really nice  to see the bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us....and made a great first impression.  I was so excited I actually knocked the bottle over, and had broken glass and champagne everywhere lol!  Our room steward was very understanding thankfully.

We have done a half dozen Celebrity cruises since then, but only our most recent one in Sept was Concierge.  I wasn't aware the policy had changed and was a little disappointed not to have the champagne waiting.  DH joked my reputation for knocking it over must have been the reason.  I did ask our steward and he brought it the next day.  I agree it would be a nice touch to have a card on the bed mentioning that you just need to ask for the Champagne.  It is a little thing, but its these little things that can add up to creating a positive first impression.

1 minute ago, Luvcrusn said:

I think the confusion over this came from your initial post that didn't mention the Classic non alcohol package. There was a promotion a while back that offered the non alcoholic package for children in the same cabin after 2 adults received the Classic package.  Did you book under that? If so, do you have any documentation that verifies that?

Luvcrusn,

That is certainly what I thought I booked. As you know, when you login under different scenarios the terms can change and being a first time Celebrity cruiser I didn’t think to document or confirm the booking (or even how to confirm). Evidently Celebrity is saying I didn’t book that version and acted like it should be obvious to me. I assume they are right. However, I am confident that when I made the decision to add the classic package it was based on others in the same cabin inheriting the classic, non alcoholic benefit. 

Certainly made sense to me...since when I bid on the suite “move up” program (that I didn’t win) it emphasized the fact that other people beyond first and 2nd people would receive the upgrade for free. 

Again, my frustration is according to the three people on the ship I escalated the issue to told me that no one on the ship was authorized to make an exception. Seems far fetched to me. 

5 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Re:bathroom smell - I've never personally experienced this issue, but thank you WestLakeGirl for the info - I would never have thought of this, so now I know if I ever do - thank you! 🙂

Works at home too – for instance if you come home from a trip and find a smell in the shower.  Traps dry out when not used regularly.  [Happens more often on ships because of the vacuum system that sucks the water out.]

• Like 1

5 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but US law states that the legal drinking age is 21. 

Problems can happen when the ship sails in Europe, as the legal drinking age is 18, so parents have to sign to say that they take responsibility for the 18 year adult.

Never, ever have I heard of 14 being a legal drinking age.

Not really relevant to this thread but legal minimum ages for drinking vary from 10 to 30 although 19 countries apparently have no minimum legal drinking age! 

https://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=004294

9 minutes ago, mdpa said:

Luvcrusn,

That is certainly what I thought I booked. As you know, when you login under different scenarios the terms can change and being a first time Celebrity cruiser I didn’t think to document or confirm the booking (or even how to confirm). Evidently Celebrity is saying I didn’t book that version and acted like it should be obvious to me. I assume they are right. However, I am confident that when I made the decision to add the classic package it was based on others in the same cabin inheriting the classic, non alcoholic benefit. 

Certainly made sense to me...since when I bid on the suite “move up” program (that I didn’t win) it emphasized the fact that other people beyond first and 2nd people would receive the upgrade for free. 

Again, my frustration is according to the three people on the ship I escalated the issue to told me that no one on the ship was authorized to make an exception. Seems far fetched to me. 

The only other thing I could suggest would be to talk (calmly and pleasantly) with the hotel and or food and beverage managers aboard, however since this seems to stem from a misunderstanding on your part, I wouldn't expect a change to be made. Since there's no documentation that shows you booked under that promotion you don't really have a basis for your claim. For future reference, when making any travel arrangements it's a good idea to document each detail before traveling.  That avoids most unexpected problems and gives you documentation for proof should problems occur. Try to have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the good fortune of being with your family, enjoying good health and the luxury of travel.

Understood. Of course I’ve spoken calmly just disappointed that customer service is not up to par. 

I was hoping Celebrity would provide the best value proposition and was going to try and leverage captain’s club points to gain some sort of status. Unfortunately the booking I am paying for the parents does not count toward the status. After my interaction with the onboard travel consultant I am leaning towards giving Oceania a try. We loved Silversea but are not in an income bracket that can justify their use for most vacations. 

I would like to emphasize that I am not unrealistic with my expectations. I am an experienced business traveler and have had the highest status with Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, and even Holiday Inn. I normally stay at mid range properties for general business (Hampton Inn or similar) and also understand what should be provided in higher level properties. I am however a relative cruiser newbie and making some judgements on value against all inclusive resorts versus similar cruises. 

Next year I’ll be taking my parents on a trip with limited mobility and comparing Celebrity, Oceania, Fairmont all inclusive or Grand Velas. I was initially leaning towards Celebrity but somewhat disappointed with the initial experience. I am hoping day 3 will change my perspective. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mdpa said:

Understood. Of course I’ve spoken calmly just disappointed that customer service is not up to par. 

I was hoping Celebrity would provide the best value proposition and was going to try and leverage captain’s club points to gain some sort of status. Unfortunately the booking I am paying for the parents does not count toward the status. After my interaction with the onboard travel consultant I am leaning towards giving Oceania a try. We loved Silversea but are not in an income bracket that can justify their use for most vacations. 

You may well be happier on Oceania, but now that you understand how Celebrity works you could also make a future Celebrity cruise much more to your liking without breaking the bank.  Instead of paying for a Concierge cabin, take a regular Veranda and add the GO BEST package to get Premium Beverage*, Internet, Gratuities, plus some OBC to cover other things you expected to be included.  You will still have to show your card, but shouldn't end up paying for anything.  [*still only passengers 1 and 2, that's Celebrity's normal offer]

• Like 3

I'm sorry you're disappointed but  do try to have a blast. We would gladly trade with you because you're not looking out the window at a leafy, snowy property! We upgraded to Celebrity from Royal and couldn't be happier. It's a 3,000 px floating hotel and mistakes are bound to be made. As a seasoned traveler you know you'll have plenty of time to follow up when you're back on land. Celebrity does a wonderful job. Aren't you lucky to be out of the cold weather, headed towards the tropics, and enjoying the ocean breeze with your family! Trust me, the food on Celebrity is way better than Royal - it's too bad you didn't arrive at Celebrity the way we did, as an upgrade vs a downgrade.

We are happy with a regular verandah cabin, not cooking or doing chores or work for an entire week, and being waited on within reason, considering the other 2998 passengers onboard! Celebrity really is a big step up from some other lines (not so big from Royal but enough to be noticeable for us). And with the money we save instead of using ultra-luxury lines or upgrading cabins, we can take other vacations throughout the year.

You'll find many wonderful experiences to enjoy aboard. Worry about these few misunderstandings when you're back in the real world. Bon voyage!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sakigemcam said:

I'm sorry you're disappointed but  do try to have a blast. We would gladly trade with you because you're not looking out the window at a leafy, snowy property! We upgraded to Celebrity from Royal and couldn't be happier. It's a 3,000 px floating hotel and mistakes are bound to be made. As a seasoned traveler you know you'll have plenty of time to follow up when you're back on land. Celebrity does a wonderful job. Aren't you lucky to be out of the cold weather, headed towards the tropics, and enjoying the ocean breeze with your family! Trust me, the food on Celebrity is way better than Royal - it's too bad you didn't arrive at Celebrity the way we did, as an upgrade vs a downgrade.

We are happy with a regular verandah cabin, not cooking or doing chores or work for an entire week, and being waited on within reason, considering the other 2998 passengers onboard! Celebrity really is a big step up from some other lines (not so big from Royal but enough to be noticeable for us). And with the money we save instead of using ultra-luxury lines or upgrading cabins, we can take other vacations throughout the year.

You'll find many wonderful experiences to enjoy aboard. Worry about these few misunderstandings when you're back in the real world. Bon voyage!

Great points and a reminder to always be grateful. I grew up poor so no silver spoon for us. Maybe that is why I spend some effort on comparing value. That being said, we will enjoy our trip and finally figuring out what drinks I can get made with our package 😏

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mdpa said:

Great points and a reminder to always be grateful. I grew up poor so no silver spoon for us. Maybe that is why I spend some effort on comparing value. That being said, we will enjoy our trip and finally figuring out what drinks I can get made with our package 😏

YES! That's the spirit! Have a mojito for me!! 🌴

24 minutes ago, sakigemcam said:

YES! That's the spirit! Have a mojito for me!! 🌴

HaHa already had a few Mojito’s and have move on to Old Fashions. Hanging out on the balcony while leaving St.  Croix. 

40AF71B7-DA7F-4237-87AD-66352A9B5BB0.jpeg

• Like 4

I think OP would have benefitted from a good TA fully familiar with Celeb pricing, promotions and programs.  Example.....erroneous expectation that OP could apply Cap Club credits for parents room to his Cap Club acct. Also expecting more from Summit..an aging ship due for renovation,,.

Hope cruise improves!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mdpa said:

HaHa already had a few Mojito’s and have move on to Old Fashions. Hanging out on the balcony while leaving St.  Croix. 

40AF71B7-DA7F-4237-87AD-66352A9B5BB0.jpeg

Aaaccccckkkk! Torture! I'd post a photo of outside my window but don't want to make you jealous! LOL!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, hcat said:

I think OP would have benefitted from a good TA fully familiar with Celeb pricing, promotions and programs.  Example.....erroneous expectation that OP could apply Cap Club credits for parents room to his Cap Club acct. Also expecting more from Summit..an aging ship due for renovation,,.

Hope cruise improves!

I had called what I thought was an experienced TA in order to compare prices.  She was not aware of many of the Celebrity basics.   So I went back to my Celebrity Planner in Miami.

As for customer service, I cannot believe how some people try to get extras for free.  For instance, this cruiser was irate that her inside cabin did not have a balcony on the Silhouette.  And it goes on and on....

3 hours ago, mdpa said:

A little hard to get a beer without a line and drink menu options pretty limited on our classic plan. 

Just a tip since you're a X newbie. Don't worry about the drink menu. Order what you want and hand over your card which has you package info on it. If your desired drink is above your package allowance they will either make the drink to comply with your package limits or else charge you for the difference above your package allowance + 18%. 

I was also going to suggest to OP than even though they are obviously experienced travelers, there is a definite benefit to NOT booking with X directly, but in using one of the large, high volume, online TAs that often offer additional perks and benefits that can be gotten when booking direct. I know it's counter-intuitive, but it's true.

Edited by Luvcrusn
addition

Sorry, OP that you were/are initially disappointed with Celebrity.  I hope it all improves for you.  As well as all the tips that have been shared, I would suggest you try an S class ship next time (Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse, Silhouette or Reflection).  These are newer ships and they are lovely.  Also, Edge will be sailing soon, if not already.

Book with X on board to get the perks they offer for that and then transfer to a big on-line TA to get what they offer also.  This works very well for us.

Edited by TeaBag

8 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Never, ever have I heard of 14 being a legal drinking age.

In fact in Germany the legal drinking ages are....Age 14 for beer and wine (in the presence of your legal guardian); age 16 for beer and wine; age 18 for spirits.... 🍺🍷😎

Edited by groryjm
  • Like 1

Ok, I am a little confused that people are saying if you booked a beverage package but are under 21 you can’t use it.  My 20 year old daughter and I are booked in one cabin, my 18 year old son booked with my husband in a connecting cabin.  We got classic packages for all as a perk.  Are you saying my adult kids won’t be able to use the packages for soda, bottled water or cafe al bacio?  

As you are relatively  new to cruising, I wish to offer you some advice.  First, never judge a cruise by your experiences  on the first day.  Change over days are hectic and demanding for the crew.  A bottle of champagne not arriving as expected is a minor inconvience in the great scheme of things. Give the staff an

Opportunity to correct any errors that you feel might have been made.

You may believe you did your research, but obviously from your confusion about what was included in terms of drink packages and who would receive them, your research was inadequate.  To achieve the best cruise experience you need to be fully informed and knowledgeable about what you are purchasing.  You were critical of guest relations because they did not offer to accommodate your request for your 14 year old daughter to be given some type of drinks package.

They were probably not at fault here and your dissatisfaction was a direct result of your failure to understand what you had purchased, and your disappointment at not getting them to agree to your request.  You should learn from this experience and always have a copy of your invoice with you, whether you have booked directly with the cruise line or a travel agent.

Cruising is a learned skill set. The more cruise experiences  you have with a particular  cruise line the more you will be better able to arrive at that good value for the dollar determination that you claim to be seeking.  Celebrity is a good premium mass market cruise experience. 

Please do not receive these comments as criticism, as they are well intentioned and hope to enhance the enjoyment of this and future cruises.

2 hours ago, mdpa said:

It used to be that if you had the Classic package you were stuck with the brands on offer, but recently they changed it so that if you want a call brand you only pay the difference.  This is especially useful for wine by the glass, as it opens up a much larger menu.