Disappointed with our first Celebrity Cruise within first 24 hrs

mdpa

Hi Everyone,

I’m hoping my experience will improve but a few items have been aggravating. 

- No Champagne in room per our Amex benefit 

- Bathroom has a sewer odor (room 9140)

- handing card over for everything seems like a hassle 

- concierge was not onsite first day and when I finally got him to show up he was not helpful (useless actually)

- tried to book another cruise to take advantage of Black Friday promo. Travel consultant said he couldn’t do that program and was also not helpful

And here’s the biggest issue from my perspective. I carefully read everything and chose the Classic Beverage package as an option. I know somewhere it indicated our 14 year old daughter would be included. Evidently some legalize fine print somewhere said she wasn’t included. I don’t believe them. I tried to escalate the concern first to customer service, then to the useless concierge (Mike Cas), then to a manager at customer service. Any goodwill gesture would have made me happy enough. The manager said she didn’t have the authority to correct in any way. 

To to add insult to injury, the next morning I get a highlighted terms and conditions note sent to my room with no note or apology for any confusion. Just a card from the front desk manager, Sylwia Dadek proving they covered their butt. 

I previously stayed on 2 Silversea cruises and admittedly got spoiled and expected a lower level of service for the price. However, I spent my hard earned money on (2) Concierge level rooms to take my wife’s parents on their first cruise. I fully planned to book the same thing for my parents next year to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. 

As we boarded the upselling pressure for pictures, dining, spa services, etc did not make the first few hours enjoyable. 

I’m trying to keep an open mind because I really want to enjoy this trip. The Tuscan Grill was great and the service from “Oki” was over the top. 

Signed, disappointed so far,

Doug Yates 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mdpa said:

Hi Everyone,

I’m hoping my experience will improve but a few items have been aggravating. 

- No Champagne in room per our Amex benefit 

- Bathroom has a sewer odor (room 9140)

- concierge was not onsite first day and when I finally got him to show up he was not helpful (useless actually)

- tried to book another cruise to take advantage of Black Friday promo. Travel consultant said he couldn’t do that program and was also not helpful

And here’s the biggest issue from my perspective. I carefully read everything and chose the Classic Beverage package as an option. I know somewhere it indicated our 14 year old daughter would be included. Evidently some legalize fine print somewhere said she wasn’t included. I don’t believe them. I tried to escalate the concern first to customer service, then to the useless concierge (Mike Cas), then to a manager at customer service. Any goodwill gesture would have made me happy enough. The manager said she didn’t have the authority to correct in any way. 

To to add insult to injury, the next morning I get a highlighted terms and conditions note sent to my room with no note or apology for any confusion. Just a card from the front desk manager, Sylwia Dadek proving they covered their butt. 

I previously stayed on 2 Silversea cruises and admittedly got spoiled and expected a lower level of service for the price. However, I spent my hard earned money on (2) Concierge level rooms to take my wife’s parents on their first cruise. I fully planned to book the same thing for my parents next year to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. 

As we boarded the upselling pressure for pictures, dining, spa services, etc did not make the first few hours enjoyable. 

I’m trying to keep an open mind because I really want to enjoy this trip. The Tuscan Grill was great and the service from “Oki” was over the top. 

Signed, disappointed so far,

Doug Yates 

I don't think you will enjoy the cruise.  Perhaps you should just leave the ship at the first port and fly home.  At least you won't be in misery for a week (assuming a 7 day cruise).

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

The first day usually entails have lunch, get your luggage, unpack, go to the lifeboat drill, enjoy dinner and possibly a show and explore the ship. Many of the things you are complaining about don't happen until the next day. Give them a chance.

Classic packages don't ever include 14 year olds.

• Like 5

1. Perhaps the fault lies with Amex, not Celebrity?

2.pour a glass of water down the drain in the bathroom floor....the water in its trap has evaporated

3. Choose an all-inclusive line next time

4. “Knowing it read somewhere”really isn’t good enough.  You need to be able to show them where you read this, knowing that this is not the way that thebeverage packages normally work and this would be quite an exception

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ma Bell said:

The first day usually entails have lunch, get your luggage, unpack, go to the lifeboat drill, enjoy dinner and possibly a show and explore the ship. Many of the things you are complaining about don't happen until the next day. Give them a chance.

Correct and are only for one person, if you had it for yourself, it does not cover anyone but you.  

• Like 1

Several years ago X stopped putting the bottle of bubbly in the room on embarkation day supposedly because many folks didn't want to use it then. We've always been informed by our cabin stewards to advise them of when we wanted it and they'd bring it. Just ask and it will be delivered chilled on the day you specify. You mentioned being in Concierge Class, but also mentioned the bubbly as a benefit of AMEX, I'm confused. Concierge Class and above receive the bottle regardless of AMEX. Did you ask your steward? Is what you're mentioning something separate?

The Classic beverage package is only for the first two adults in a room when received as a perk. If purchased, it only includes the person who purchased it.  Since it includes alcohol it would not be available for use by a 14 year old even if they weren't ordering alcoholic beverages. Were you expecting a non-alcoholic package for your daughter? You should have received confirmation of that with your booking confirmation. If you have a copy of that perhaps you'd have some backup in escalating your concerns. Did you book your cruise directly with X or did you use a TA? If you booked with a TA, perhaps they can provide some clarification of whether there is an error on the part of the TA, X or on a misunderstanding by you. Good luck. If all else fails, try to make lemonade from lemons. You're on a beautiful cruise ship with your family. Enjoy them and try to feel fortunate rather than disappointed.

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have also noted a foul smell on the first day.  It should go away.  If not, speak to your stateroom attendant.

As for the beverage package, please read your final settlement.  Packages for cruisers should be listed.  

There have been some booking promotions which included an alcohol package for the first two occupants of a room and a non-alcohol package for the third and fourth occupants.  Perhaps you booked under one of these promotions.  Or thought that you did.  (There have also been some promotions where the first two occupants get unlimited internet and the third gets a limited amount of minutes. ) I think it is possible that you saw such a promotion and assumed all bookings would be that way, which they are not.  Your booking confirmation form should have spelled out exactly which promotions you get.

Did you book through a travel agent?  They should have a copy of your booking confirmation which they can provide to the ship to back up your claim, if it is a valid one.

59 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

2.pour a glass of water down the drain in the bathroom floor....the water in its trap has evaporated

Re:bathroom smell - I've never personally experienced this issue, but thank you WestLakeGirl for the info - I would never have thought of this, so now I know if I ever do - thank you! 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ma Bell said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but US law states that the legal drinking age is 21. 

Problems can happen when the ship sails in Europe, as the legal drinking age is 18, so parents have to sign to say that they take responsibility for the 18 year adult.

Never, ever have I heard of 14 being a legal drinking age.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdpa said:

How else could X handle the magnitude of transactuons/passengers without requesting key cards?  A benefit of the classic package that you have, at least, is you have no papers to sign - hand the card in, they enter the order, you get it back (in my experience, always with a smile from the crew member). 

To the OP - I'll echo some other responses - try to do your best to let the lemons go and enjoy the cruise - while these seem like inconveniences, they shouldn't detract from a wonderful cruise. 

Also, talk to your room steward - I have found them so amazing in helping to solve problems, offer assistance, or guidance with where to go. 

I hope that you are able to let the frustrations go, and enjoy the cruise.

• Like 1

Just curious what ship you are on, Doug.

Also, if you were still in port when you smelled the odor it may not have been from the bathroom, unless you were getting 'dry line' odor as someone else suggested. We have experienced sewer odor a number of times on various ships while in port as the 'stuff' was being piped out of the ship to a hard sewer line on shore. The 'fragrance' can sometimes be rude.

Someone else suggested talking to your steward, which is great. If you have a butler, that's even better. (S)he should do everything to correct annoyances. If the butler doesn't help simply contact the butler manager.

Happy sailing! It's always good to not wake up dead, ya know?

Stop trying to compare to Silversea.   I hear people from time to time comparing with another line “ Princess doesn’t do this”, Oceania doesn’t do this”, Royal doesn’t do that”  they complain from the get go then everything starts to be disappointing to them.  

Just stop comparing and enjoy your cruise 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I don't think you will enjoy the cruise.  Perhaps you should just leave the ship at the first port and fly home.  At least you won't be in misery for a week (assuming a 7 day cruise).

Pee is correct.  Get off the ship ASAP and stop this nightmare.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I must have missed the name of the ship or you did not mention it.  Choose the glass half full and not half empty.  Some of your disappointment could possibly be due to comparing to other cruise lines, along with not completely doing your homework for this first Celebrity cruise.  It also could be due to allowing yourself to make more of it than it is. If the smell does not go away, get it fixed and be proactive on issues.  I am glad that you enjoyed your food in Tuscan and your waiter!

Come back and let us know...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

If you are comparing to Silversea, unfortunately you are going to be disappointed. The first day is always a hard sell for spa, specialties, beverage packages, etc. Pretty much the same on all of the mainstream cruise lines. And since the cruise is not all inclusive, yes, you will need to hand your card over for everything. Even for beverages included, they still need to run it through the POS. 

In terms of the drink package, if you received it as a perk, it's only for the first two people in the room, I would assume you and your partner. Your daughter would not be included.  Plus, since she is only 14, she would not be allowed that package anyways.

With that said, please enjoy the remainder of your cruise.

I feel like you have extremely high expectations. Silversea is an upscale, all inclusive, luxury line. Celebrity is a slightly upscale, mass market line. Two entirely different products. 

If you want your 14 year old daughter to have a beverage package, you would have needed to purchase one of the soda packages for her. She is too young to drink alcohol, and the soda packages are far less expensive than the Classic beverage package. 

I've never stayed in a concierge room, so I have no idea what kind of extras you get, but Celebrity does give sparkling wine, mimosas, or orange juice upon boarding, something I find to be a really nice touch and a great way to start your vacation. If you didn't receive your expected bottle of champagne, let your room steward know. 

I didn't realize some cruise lines didn't require showing your cruise card for beverage and other purchases. It's not that big a deal. Order a beverage, show your sea pass. 

The sewer smell could be an issue, so talk to your room steward, and be nice to them. We always want extra pillows. We never, ever have an issue getting them, and request them upon boarding. 

I'm not sure why the cruise consultant couldn't book the $25 per person deposit. Perhaps you needed to speak to someone else, or get internet minutes and book on your own. 

I hope you find the rest of your cruise enjoyable. If you don't, stick to Silversea. My husband and I love Celebrity (and Princess) and feel fortunate to be able to cruise at all. 

Depending on when you booked you may have had old terms and conditions regarding the drink package. 

We have been on tge Summit 3 times.  The first 2 we had the go best option which bumped up the 2 beverage packages to premium and added the classic non-alcohol package for our minor son.

When we booked the 3rd, the terms and conditions for the  go best plan showed they were the same.  We were hove told that since we got the 1/2 off for our son he did not get the best upgrades.  There was no exclusion in the terms and conditions at the time.  They have since updated the printed policies to reflect it.  

My TA confirmed the change despite the printed terms.  I did try when we boarded to show them the printed terms from when we booked and they would not honor. This did not effect our trip we had a great trip. We love the Summit and will be on her again in August after the redo.  The T&C's are now corrected to match.

The sewer smell we have also experienced but as others have said it goes away quickly after departing.

Your posting reflects the exact opposite of an "open mind" IMHO.  Let's see - you booked a middle of the road (i.e.,. not luxury) cruise line, albeit probably the most upscale one,  and expected the same service and processes as a luxury all-inclusive line that costs about twice as much.  Next, you expect the staff to use some kind of ESP to know who you are and what your perks are, rather than having to go through the tremendous hassle of producing your boarding pass.  On top of that, you incorrectly read/understood the perks you were getting, and then expected Celebrity to give them to you anyway just because...……...well, I guess I don't understand why.  Then to add misery on top of misery, your expected champagne was going to be delivered later in the cruise and was not there to greet you.  Your only valid complaint (IMHO) was the sewer smell (which is not uncommon on ANY older ship based on my personal experience).  And these boards gave you some solutions for that. 

• Like 3

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. Most don’t seem to be sympathetic.

A few points. I always do my research. I knew the standard champagne for concierge wouldn’t be delivered without request. In fact, our room steward did offer to bring; no complaints there. However, our AMEX benefit was not provided. I did need to get that fixed. 

To some extent my post errored in brevity since I don’t have the internet package and using spotty phone coverage to post. 

Yes, if I was offered a full refund I would be tempted to fly home after the first day. Of coarse, I already know that is not an option so enough with the fanboy comments. I also don’t tend to complain too much and I think my overall post history should reflect that perspective. 

Handing the card for everything is not Celebrity’s fault just an experience difference that isn’t fully understood until experienced and is simply shared so others can be warned. 

The sewage odor remains into our second day and I am on the Summit. No complaints about the ship except for different venues not being fully available. No lunch readily available at 11:30. Buffet opens at 12 and main dining only open in the evening. Many sections seem randomly closed   A little hard to get a beer without a line and drink menu options pretty limited on our classic plan. 

Let it me emphasize my main frustrations. No one seems empowered to solve any issue. They all call headquarters. Some people are fantastic and others have been mediocre. I will ultimately enjoy my vacation but it won’t be because Celebrity’s management addressed my concern. Poor service on the first day. I’ll update if things substantially improve. 

Here are some positives. My room attendant (Tim) seems decent and the room is good with a nice balcony. I appreciate the back half of the buffet and enjoy Cafe al Bacio. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

There have been some booking promotions which included an alcohol package for the first two occupants of a room and a non-alcohol package for the third and fourth occupants.  Perhaps you booked under one of these promotions.  Or thought that you did.  (There have also been some promotions where the first two occupants get unlimited internet and the third gets a limited amount of minutes. ) I think it is possible that you saw such a promotion and assumed all bookings would be that way, which they are not.  Your booking confirmation form should have spelled out exactly which promotions you get.

Did you book through a travel agent?  They should have a copy of your booking confirmation which they can provide to the ship to back up your claim, if it is a valid one.

I've seen this too and assume it is what the OP is referring to.  If he booked under such a promotion and didn't receive the non-alcohol package for his daughter I can completely understand his disappointment.  I don't understand why so many people immediately jump to the defense of the cruise line and assume the poster is wrong/mistaken.  It is entirely possible that Celebrity screwed up.

As for the bottle of champagne.....  yes Celebrity seems to have switched to providing it upon request rather than having it waiting in the room upon boarding.  Wouldn't it make sense then that Celebrity leave a card in the room explaining that their champagne is awaiting them upon request?  I know I was disappointed when I arrived in my cabin expecting to be greeted with a bottle of bubbly and seeing none.  Yes my steward later explained that he would bring it upon request, but the initial disappointment was   still there.  Is a card too much to ask for?

As for the OP's other complaints,  they are not new or uncommon,  and they do detract from the cruise experience - even for those not accustomed to luxury lines like Silversea. How about a little understanding for a first time Celebrity cruiser reporting his initial disappointment?  He expresses hope that things will improve - and I expect they will.  In the end, I hope that the OP comes away with an appreciation of Celebrity's value proposition.  It's not Silversea.  It's a different experience, but for the price paid it's a very satisfying one for many people.

• Like 2

One other point. My young teenage daughter enjoys feeling like a grown up. She like virgin drinks and the occasional cappuccino. No interest in sodas or alcohol...not sure where people got that idea. I guess I should have said, Classic, non-alcoholic package. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I've seen this too and assume it is what the OP is referring to.  If he booked under such a promotion and didn't receive the non-alcohol package for his daughter I can completely understand his disappointment.  I don't understand why so many people immediately jump to the defense of the cruise line and assume the poster is wrong/mistaken.  It is entirely possible that Celebrity screwed up.

As for the bottle of champagne.....  yes Celebrity seems to have switched to providing it upon request rather than having it waiting in the room upon boarding.  Wouldn't it make sense then that Celebrity leave a card in the room explaining that their champagne is awaiting them upon request?  I know I was disappointed when I arrived in my cabin expecting to be greeted with a bottle of bubbly and seeing none.  Yes my steward later explained that he would bring it upon request, but the initial disappointment was   still there.  Is a card too much to ask for?

As for the OP's other complaints,  they are not new or uncommon,  and they do detract from the cruise experience - even for those not accustomed to luxury lines like Silversea. How about a little understanding for a first time Celebrity cruiser reporting his initial disappointment?  He expresses hope that things will improve - and I expect they will.  In the end, I hope that the OP comes away with an appreciation of Celebrity's value proposition.  It's not Silversea.  It's a different experience, but for the price paid it's a very satisfying one for many people.

Thanks, I am 99% sure this is what happened with the drink package. I know that I at least read this fact somewhere on Celebrity’s site. I am not saying that I didn’t get confused. I am just saying that I was frustrated over any sympathy or partial accommodation for this issue. 

• Like 1