Disappointed with our first Celebrity Cruise within first 24 hrs

mdpa

3 hours ago, mdpa said:

I would like to emphasize that I am not unrealistic with my expectations. I am an experienced business traveler and have had the highest status with Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, and even Holiday Inn. I normally stay at mid range properties for general business (Hampton Inn or similar) and also understand what should be provided in higher level properties. I am however a relative cruiser newbie and making some judgements on value against all inclusive resorts versus similar cruises. 

Next year I’ll be taking my parents on a trip with limited mobility and comparing Celebrity, Oceania, Fairmont all inclusive or Grand Velas. I was initially leaning towards Celebrity but somewhat disappointed with the initial experience. I am hoping day 3 will change my perspective. 

I hope your cruise improves. One thing to consider on Celebrity is to try a sky suite. We love the suite perks and would be fun to get you and your parents a sky suite. Luminae is fabulous. 

When I traveled with my mom who had mobility issues (used walker, cane and scooter- oh and was on oxygen) we always booked a sky suite, at a minimum. Plenty of room and with the use of the butler for a warm breakfast, we could leisurely get ready in the morning and have a wonderful breakfast. If mom was tired, we would order dinner in the room off the regular menus. She loved tea in michaels club and all the special perks.  I cannot say enouogh about the suite class perks. Check  out luminae, suite perks etc while you are on board so you can decide about your trip with your parents.

Wishing you an wonderful cruise.

Amy

• Like 1

I do hope you go back through your paperwork and see exactly what you booked.  If you did this through a TA, then send them an email and ask them to forward a copy of your final booking confirmation/invoice or look for that document in your email.  If you booked directly with Celebrity, they usually (always?) send it automatically, so you should have it in your email already.  That will spell out what you're entitled to receive.  Even if you didn't book what you thought, it's a good thing to really review so you know for future reference and perhaps have someone on the ship explain anything you don't understand.  Booking all-inclusive cruises and resorts takes that need away (typically in exchange for higher pricing).  If you're moving into the world of a la carte, you have to learn how to read the paperwork or risk these types of surprises.  

I don't think it's reasonable for you to expect them to "make it right" if you were just confused.  People plead ignorance to them constantly about any- and everything.  They're empowered to give you trinkets but not to fundamentally alter the terms of your booking.

6 hours ago, mdpa said:

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. Most don’t seem to be sympathetic.

A few points. I always do my research. I knew the standard champagne for concierge wouldn’t be delivered without request. In fact, our room steward did offer to bring; no complaints there. However, our AMEX benefit was not provided. I did need to get that fixed. 

To some extent my post errored in brevity since I don’t have the internet package and using spotty phone coverage to post. 

Yes, if I was offered a full refund I would be tempted to fly home after the first day. Of coarse, I already know that is not an option so enough with the fanboy comments. I also don’t tend to complain too much and I think my overall post history should reflect that perspective. 

Handing the card for everything is not Celebrity’s fault just an experience difference that isn’t fully understood until experienced and is simply shared so others can be warned. 

The sewage odor remains into our second day and I am on the Summit. No complaints about the ship except for different venues not being fully available. No lunch readily available at 11:30. Buffet opens at 12 and main dining only open in the evening. Many sections seem randomly closed   A little hard to get a beer without a line and drink menu options pretty limited on our classic plan. 

Let it me emphasize my main frustrations. No one seems empowered to solve any issue. They all call headquarters. Some people are fantastic and others have been mediocre. I will ultimately enjoy my vacation but it won’t be because Celebrity’s management addressed my concern. Poor service on the first day. I’ll update if things substantially improve. 

Here are some positives. My room attendant (Tim) seems decent and the room is good with a nice balcony. I appreciate the back half of the buffet and enjoy Cafe al Bacio. 

So, you did know that you were on an M class ship that is much older than S class, and not yet updated.  I thought that might have been an issue for you, as it was for me.  Okay, I was wrong and you knew about this beforehand.  Your issues are more with services.  A friend of mine always does Silversea, and she thoroughly enjoyed Reflection, but she was in Blu.  Sorry that I jumped on your words and I still hope that your issues can be fixed quickly!  I need to try Silversea in the future, as I have heard wonderful things about it.  You may want to try a suite next time; you have a butler and a number to call him...just a thought!

Suzy

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zoedokey said:

Ok, I am a little confused that people are saying if you booked a beverage package but are under 21 you can’t use it.  My 20 year old daughter and I are booked in one cabin, my 18 year old son booked with my husband in a connecting cabin.  We got classic packages for all as a perk.  Are you saying my adult kids won’t be able to use the packages for soda, bottled water or cafe al bacio?  

If it was a PERK as part of your booking, both in the cabin will receive the package. Those under 21 will have the non-alcoholic pkg.

It's when you BUY a drink package that it only applies to the person purchasing it. 

You are good to go!

We sailed with some Crystal regulars once, and while we enjoyed most of our conversations, it really got tiresome how they kept berating Celebrity and telling us the differences.  Great.  I don't want to/can't afford to sail on Crystal (or Silversea).  But I'm curious - can I assume that since Silversea is all-inclusive they just bring anyone anything they ever want with no regard to who you are/cabin you're in?  I guess that would make sense.  But surely you see that not everyone on Celebrity has a beverage package (we never do), so they aren't just going to bring us unlimited drinks, they take our seapass card and charge us accordingly (works for us since we don't need to buy drinks very often).  

I just hope that, since it's a special trip for your family, that you don't rant on about the shortcomings you see, since they might all be having a great time and what a downer that would be to tell them that they aren't really having a great time after all. :) 

And next time stick to what you know and like (which we do...Celebrity).

6 hours ago, mdpa said:

That being said, we will enjoy our trip and finally figuring out what drinks I can get made with our package 

If you like espresso, and you like gelato, try an Affogato from Al Bacio - sure to put a smile on your face and was included in the classic beverage package last time I tried. 

9 hours ago, Zoedokey said:

Ok, I am a little confused that people are saying if you booked a beverage package but are under 21 you can’t use it.  My 20 year old daughter and I are booked in one cabin, my 18 year old son booked with my husband in a connecting cabin.  We got classic packages for all as a perk.  Are you saying my adult kids won’t be able to use the packages for soda, bottled water or cafe al bacio?  

See answer in post #54.

Originally the OP stated that he had booked the Classic package for his 14 year old, which was what I was alluding to. Obviously there are different drinking laws in different countries ( You don’t state which country you are a resident of.) so see post #47 for variations in laws, which leads to confusion when sailing with a US company.

Edited by upwarduk

11 hours ago, mdpa said:

HaHa already had a few Mojito’s and have move on to Old Fashions. Hanging out on the balcony while leaving St.  Croix. 

40AF71B7-DA7F-4237-87AD-66352A9B5BB0.jpeg

My favorite cruise drinks!  I am sorry you had such a bad first day on your cruise.  Just to chime in on the "packages," my family just returned from a cruise on the Infinity.  We booked a promotion with a well-used TA (CxxCxx) and received Classic drink package for first two passengers in the cabin -- Classic Alcoholic for over 21s, and Classic Non-alcoholic for under 21s.  This is the first time I had ever seen this promotion so perhaps this is what you booked under, BUT it was only for the first 2 passengers.  I did wind up "upgrading" the Classic nonalcoholic packages for the under 21s to Premium Nonalcoholic because it did not include virgin/non-alcoholic drinks like Pina coladas, smoothies, etc.

Also want to comment that while well-maintained, the Summit is an older ship (actually, might be THE oldest).  You might want to take a look at the new Edge, or the Reflection.

Hope things have settled out and that you are enjoying your cruise. 

• Like 1

No real issues with the ship other than the odor in the bathroom. I booked the Summit partially due to what seemed like better pricing associated with riding a soon to be refurbished vessel. I did the same thing with Silversea. 

And yes, Silversea doesn’t ask for your card, which really does improve the experience. Everyone gets a butler, etc., no extra charges for port taxes, transfers to town, airfare, so I do think it may be a better value than a suite. They even offer to carry plates from the buffet and have a very upscale afternoon tea that would be appreciated by people who are less mobile. 

Again, my main gripe had to do with poor basic service. The kind I would expect in a standard hotel. Heck, I don’t normally even uses the concierge in fancier hotels. I just expected more from customer service, the concierge, the travel consultant, and the manager who told me she didn’t have any authority and no one else did either. 🙄

- long line for customer service. She calls headquarters and is told no. Tells me no

- go to concierge. Supposed to be onsite 5-7. Still not there at 5:45. A line of people. I use the phone on his desk to ask for him. Shows up 10 minutes later, no comment or apology. I ask him about my concern. He reads the note and says no. I go back down to customer service and ask for a manager. Almost don’t get one. Wait at least 10 minutes. I go back to her office and am told she has no authority. Offers me a few sodas (I don’t want sodas, we don’t drink soda). Later that night I have the legal/disclaimer portion of my contract in an envelope highlighting how they are supposedly right (no other note). 

Before I tried to escalate the issue I stopped by the travel consultant to inquire about the onboard booking special. Two people working and no customers. No one acknowledged our presence and no one seemed that willing to help. Before I go into too many details he goes into a spiel that he can’t just guess at what cruise would be good. My parameters must have been too loose for him. 

May- August 2019, probably Alaska or Bermuda, ocean view preferred but would choose best value. For some reason I was expecting help a guidance. Instead the second thing he told me was they had no authority to offer the Black Friday special (that was still in effect). 

Is everyone one starting to get the picture?

• Like 1

So even though the first day was disappointing we are certainly having some fun. 

- Really enjoyed Tucson Grill the first night and the service was fantastic

- last night had a nice evening in the main dining room. Everyone enjoyed their food and we had a nice table for 5 reserved for 6:15. I did see some advantages to having the concierge level that allowed us to use the shorter line since it seemed pretty busy. 

I’m enjoying the breakfast buffet, especially after I realized we simply walk up stairs from our room (9160) and we are at the least crowded part of the buffet. I really like the egg Benedict station and the small waffles. After breakfast we head down to the coffee bar and get a 3-shot Americano .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdpa said:

No real issues with the ship other than the odor in the bathroom. I booked the Summit partially due to what seemed like better pricing associated with riding a soon to be refurbished vessel. I did the same thing with Silversea. 

And yes, Silversea doesn’t ask for your card, which really does improve the experience. Everyone gets a butler, etc., no extra charges for port taxes, transfers to town, airfare, so I do think it may be a better value than a suite. They even offer to carry plates from the buffet and have a very upscale afternoon tea that would be appreciated by people who are less mobile. 

Again, my main gripe had to do with poor basic service. The kind I would expect in a standard hotel. Heck, I don’t normally even uses the concierge in fancier hotels. I just expected more from customer service, the concierge, the travel consultant, and the manager who told me she didn’t have any authority and no one else did either. 🙄

- long line for customer service. She calls headquarters and is told no. Tells me no

- go to concierge. Supposed to be onsite 5-7. Still not there at 5:45. A line of people. I use the phone on his desk to ask for him. Shows up 10 minutes later, no comment or apology. I ask him about my concern. He reads the note and says no. I go back down to customer service and ask for a manager. Almost don’t get one. Wait at least 10 minutes. I go back to her office and am told she has no authority. Offers me a few sodas (I don’t want sodas, we don’t drink soda). Later that night I have the legal/disclaimer portion of my contract in an envelope highlighting how they are supposedly right (no other note). 

Before I tried to escalate the issue I stopped by the travel consultant to inquire about the onboard booking special. Two people working and no customers. No one acknowledged our presence and no one seemed that willing to help. Before I go into too many details he goes into a spiel that he can’t just guess at what cruise would be good. My parameters must have been too loose for him. 

May- August 2019, probably Alaska or Bermuda, ocean view preferred but would choose best value. For some reason I was expecting help a guidance. Instead the second thing he told me was they had no authority to offer the Black Friday special (that was still in effect). 

Is everyone one starting to get the picture?

Your 100% correct.  Maybe it's time to leave the ship.

As for Black Friday offers, surely it’s typical of most such deals in that they can’t be combined with other offers, such as those for booking on board. You choose one or the other.

As for the rest, you had an idea that you’d been promised something somewhere, but didn’t get it, and just escalated your complaint when you didn’t get the right answer for you. Little wonder they had to highlight the T&Cs for you. My sympathies are with the ship’s staff.

Wiltonian,

You are selectively reading my statements and taking them out of context. The travel consultant said he could not provide the Black Friday offer...not that I could choose either offer but that they could not be combined. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, warmwinds said:

We sailed with some Crystal regulars once, and while we enjoyed most of our conversations, it really got tiresome how they kept berating Celebrity and telling us the differences.  Great.  I don't want to/can't afford to sail on Crystal (or Silversea).  But I'm curious - can I assume that since Silversea is all-inclusive they just bring anyone anything they ever want with no regard to who you are/cabin you're in?  I guess that would make sense.  But surely you see that not everyone on Celebrity has a beverage package (we never do), so they aren't just going to bring us unlimited drinks, they take our seapass card and charge us accordingly (works for us since we don't need to buy drinks very often).  

I just hope that, since it's a special trip for your family, that you don't rant on about the shortcomings you see, since they might all be having a great time and what a downer that would be to tell them that they aren't really having a great time after all. 🙂 

And next time stick to what you know and like (which we do...Celebrity).

My brother and his wife booked Silversea Silver Muse last year.  It was a new ship and understand some of the problems they had initially have been addressed.  But his takeway was that it was not worth the 2-3 times what they paid for Celebrity and X did many things better.  But expectations vary.

Many have mentioned the Champagne benefit.  Just to be clear, it is not Champagne; rather, it is sparkling wine.  Sometimes, not always, one can request that it be replaced with a bottle of wine.  I cannot speak to the AMEX benefit having never heard of it previously.

1 hour ago, mdpa said:

Wiltonian,

You are selectively reading my statements and taking them out of context. The travel consultant said he could not provide the Black Friday offer...not that I could choose either offer but that they could not be combined. 

No, I’m not. Sales desks on ships don’t normally have shore-side offers. You can get shore-side offers through TAs or direct from Celebrity, OR ship-based offers when on board.

Edited by Wiltonian

4 minutes ago, Wiltonian said:

No, I’m not. Sales desks on ships don’t normally have shore-side offers. You can get shore-side offers through TAs or direct from Celebrity, OR ship-based offers when on board.

I see that I am not dealing with a clear headed person. If they are Celebrity employees they should be able to book any offer the company provides directly. In fact, I’ve read they can also provide Azamara promotions. Soon that may expand to Silversea. 

Have never found on board reps very knowledgeable.  Whenever we're thinking of booking on board we first do our research online in either our cabin or the internet cafe.  X's web site is available for free.  Once we narrow down sailings,  cabin type (or better yet, specific cabin #) and available promos we print out the details and visit a rep.  Usually works very well.  After returning home we turn booking over to our ta for additional percs. 

45 minutes ago, mdpa said:

I see that I am not dealing with a clear headed person. If they are Celebrity employees they should be able to book any offer the company provides directly. In fact, I’ve read they can also provide Azamara promotions. Soon that may expand to Silversea. 

Offers change daily on those ships.  The people on the ships often don't know what the land based corporate offers are, they change so ofen.  You are expecting ships to operate like land based hotels.  They don't work that way.  The ships even are different ship to ship.  Prices are different, offers are different, policies change depending on the ship, the intinerary the rules of the ports they are sailing from and the crew.  

1 hour ago, mdpa said:

You realize Azamara and Celebrity are owned by RCL and you can book Azamara onboard Celebrity and visa versa. RCL decided to do this maybe because of the closer connection of the cruising experience of these two Lines RCL owns. But Silversea has no connections with RCL, Celebrity or Azamara and therefore unless RCL buys Silversea, that will not occur.

I usually don’t spend time worrying about how some company runs it’s business while actually crusing - I focus on enjoying the cruise and vacation.  Hope you can enjoy the actual expereince onboard. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

20 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

You realize Azamara and Celebrity are owned by RCL and you can book Azamara onboard Celebrity and visa versa. RCL decided to do this maybe because of the closer connection of the cruising experience of these two Lines RCL owns. But Silversea has no connections with RCL, Celebrity or Azamara and therefore unless RCL buys Silversea, that will not occur.

I usually don’t spend time worrying about how some company runs it’s business while actually crusing - I focus on enjoying the cruise and vacation.  Hope you can enjoy the actual expereince onboard. 

Den

Maybe people are not doing their research but this is why my comments comparing Silversea are so relevant. RCL now owns Silversea. 

https://www.silversea.com/other-resources/press-releases/2018/july-/royal-caribbean-completes-acquisition-of-silversea-cruises-share.html

On 11/25/2018 at 2:01 PM, mdpa said:

I

The sewage odor remains into our second day and I am on the Summit. No complaints about the ship except for different venues not being fully available. No lunch readily available at 11:30. Buffet opens at 12 and main dining only open in the evening. Many sections seem randomly closed   A little hard to get a beer without a line and drink menu options pretty limited on our classic plan. 

I don't believe nobody picked up on this but on ALL Celebrity ships the Main Dining Room is open for all meals except for lunch on embarkation day and port days.  Open for breakfast all days and lunch on sea  days.  

Also, since you are in Concierge, I guess your TA did not tell you that Concierge gets a special lunch in the MDR on Embarkation day..

Edited by dkjretired