RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

I know many people have had "pending" on their "Royal Up" bids and got the upgrade shortly after.

Here is one person who did not--when I got no email I knew it would not happen.  We got email tonight  (cruise is tomorrow) saying sorry.

Just for everyone's information--pending does not always have a positive outcome!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brandy3415 said:

I know many people have had "pending" on their "Royal Up" bids and got the upgrade shortly after.

Pending is that default/standard status after you placed a bid - some people had "expired" or some other status which may have eventually turned into an upgrade.

Interesting.  Just checked mine.  Last week I still had a chance to up my bid for a balcony, now there is no option to change the bid and it just says "offer received".  Sailing next Sunday, and from the looks of it, cruise is sold out.

24 minutes ago, kpark895 said:

Interesting.  Just checked mine.  Last week I still had a chance to up my bid for a balcony, now there is no option to change the bid and it just says "offer received".  Sailing next Sunday, and from the looks of it, cruise is sold out.

Interesting!  Keep us updated!

We weren’t happy with our OV room and when I got the RoyalUp email back in August for both balcony and superior balcony, I put in bids.

They both changed status a few times from offer received, to pending, to upgrade unavailable, to expired.

Yesterday the balcony room said pending and today I got the email that we’re upgraded!

We sail in 14 days on the Jewel to Greece! We got a great room!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, redwell said:

We sail tomorrow still haven't heard anything so we assume we haven't got upgrade contacted royal caribean who said they don't upgrade after 5 days before sail I thought we would have least got a email

Interesting that they said they don't upgrade after 5 days before. What happens if there is a really last minute cancellation, I wonder?

12 minutes ago, Hammergirl said:

Interesting that they said they don't upgrade after 5 days before. What happens if there is a really last minute cancellation, I wonder?

I think that was another case of misinformation given out by a rep

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Has anyone reported day of sailing rejection e-mail? I though everyone is reporting 6-7PM day before sailing.

I don't remember the actual time for the email but did not see it till the morning of the cruise when I checked. It might have come the late evening before 

Received notice that my RoyalUp bid was accepted on Vision for the Panama Canal cruise leaving Oct.30.

Had an oceanview cabin and bid on a balcony. Min bid was $80 p/p and max $300 p/p. I did bid max and

satisfied with this price.

• Thanks 1

Just thought I'd add in my story quick to this string. We are sailing on the Mariner on Friday out of Port Canaveral. I booked through a TA buddy of mine when he had a great group discount. We were booked in a standard inside, not sure of the exact category, but we were on deck 8 aft. Yesterday morning (5 days prior to sailing), I received an email from RC with an offer to bid on 3 different categories, Ocean View, Promenade View and Standard Balcony. I put in a $50 pp bid on OV and PV and $130 pp bid on balcony. As of this morning, the statuses said PV and Balc were "pending" and OV was "not available".  Then this evening, the "not available" OV became my upgrade!  They accepted $50 pp and we ended up with a great upgrade on deck 12 with extra sq footage and a floor to ceiling window. We're happy with that for sure!  Anyway, thought it was interesting that the 1 category that said unavailable was the one we got upgraded to.  So who knows what goes on with all that. It's all luck based on this experience. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lilystar said:

Just thought I'd add in my story quick to this string. We are sailing on the Mariner on Friday out of Port Canaveral. I booked through a TA buddy of mine when he had a great group discount. We were booked in a standard inside, not sure of the exact category, but we were on deck 8 aft. Yesterday morning (5 days prior to sailing), I received an email from RC with an offer to bid on 3 different categories, Ocean View, Promenade View and Standard Balcony. I put in a $50 pp bid on OV and PV and $130 pp bid on balcony. As of this morning, the statuses said PV and Balc were "pending" and OV was "not available".  Then this evening, the "not available" OV became my upgrade!  They accepted $50 pp and we ended up with a great upgrade on deck 12 with extra sq footage and a floor to ceiling window. We're happy with that for sure!  Anyway, thought it was interesting that the 1 category that said unavailable was the one we got upgraded to.  So who knows what goes on with all that. It's all luck based on this experience. 

that’s what happened to us. The Balcony upgrade that we just received had  said Upgrade unavailable for awhile now, while the superior balcony had said pending. It seems there’s no pattern.  We’re just happy we got a great room!

• Like 1

With Royals Newish Upgrade system

When you book your cruise in the first place look at the prices for rooms which you could possibly be upgraded to

WHY I HEAR YOU SHOUT

I have done this on the last 3 cruises and the original price has always been cheaper than the MIN Figure in the upgrade offer and you get the benefits if you book it in the first place i.e. Double points in suites

Don't get lulled into it must be a bargain!!!

I'm not saying it won't some times be a baragin but have the figures to compare 

• Like 1

I think this might be true going from inside and outsides up but not with going from a balcony to the suite category.   

I look at it as a cost per day.  How much more per day am I willing to spend on an upgrade.  I bid based on that and won’t feel sad if I don’t get it as that’s my comfort price. I book what I’m happy with in the first place as I’m sure most do.

Where are you looking to see the status of your bids?  Back to the original email?  I thought you just waited to see the accept/reject email close to sailing. Inform me please.

1 hour ago, sxphil said:

With Royals Newish Upgrade system

When you book your cruise in the first place look at the prices for rooms which you could possibly be upgraded to

WHY I HEAR YOU SHOUT

I have done this on the last 3 cruises and the original price has always been cheaper than the MIN Figure in the upgrade offer and you get the benefits if you book it in the first place i.e. Double points in suites

Don't get lulled into it must be a bargain!!!

I'm not saying it won't some times be a baragin but have the figures to compare 

You also can not compare the booking price of a year ok with current booking price. Yes you should always book the cabin you want in the first place but there are deals to be had. Before bidding, always check to see what your upgrade cost would be. Sometimes due to price drops , its cheaper to pay for upgrade.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Back to the original email?  I thought you just waited to see the accept/reject email close to sailing. Inform me please.

Yes. Some have reported a change in the status that may indicate an upgrade may be coming, like if it says expired.

I just submitted a bid for a balcony from an interior room.  The reason I didn't go with balcony originally is that it was $1,000 more than the interior and we decided to save the money for excursions and such.  The price has basically been $1,000 more since booking a year ago.  The royal bid for the balcony I made a $400 bid. That to me was acceptable and feel like I am getting a deal. If I win. lol. So now just waiting to see what I hear in the next 60 days before my cruise. lol 

• Like 1

We just scored a Junior Balcony Suite for only $480 CAD more than we originally paid for our Ocean View Balcony!!  We were going to put in a bid to upgrade through RoyalUP but decided to check the pricing online first.  Good thing we did!  There was a Junior Balcony Suite guarantee available for a shockingly low price.  We called our TA right away and we were able to upgrade for the lower price.  We ended up paying much less to upgrade than we would have had to bid through RoyalUP.  Our room has already been assigned so no waiting to see if our bid was accepted and where our room might be.  So excited!

On 10/3/2019 at 11:32 AM, booplesnoople said:

Never seen something I agree with more. I'm a control freak and I won't rest until I know everything is booked exactly how and where I want it.

On-topic: I guess I'm one of the unlucky shmucks who didn't use a TA but still can't bid on an upgrade. 25 days out, no email, and trying to check it on the website it kicks me back every time with the "make sure your sailing is in the next 30 days/make sure all the information you entered is correct" popup. Guess I'll keep my OVB and like it, darn it. 😂 

Okay, y'all wanna hear something whackadoodle?

Background: We sail in 18 days on Mariner. As I said above, no email, and putting in my confirmation number and last name on the website kept kicking me out.

Well, there's two last names in that room. Mine and my husband's, and my younger brother's (my maiden name.) The cruise is booked in my married name. I decided to try my brother's last name and our confirmation. 

And you know what? Even though I'm the primary on the res and everything (like...everything) is in my name, the RoyalUP offer went to my brother. I'm cackling while deciding whether or not to bid. 🤣