non-ref booking an FCC when cancelling question

On 12/17/2018 at 2:04 PM, mugtech said:

Must be on a cruise that sails within a year of the day you cancel the previous cruise.

Doesn't have to be used on a cruise that sails within that year - it just has to be applied to a cruise before the actual FCC expires.

• Thanks 1

The way it was explained to me was that I had to use it on a cruise that sails within a year from the day I cancelled.  It did not matter to me, make it a point to cruise at least twice a year.  But It does make more sense to cancel right before final payment is due to give yourself more time to use the FCC.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

So... if I would lose the amount of deposit in any case, it seems like a good idea to pay only the deposit until the actual final payment due date and avoid an FCC totally if I cancel rather than pay in full at that time?

I think that is always a good idea.

1 minute ago, crystalspin said:

So if my deposit was $100 (non-ref) per person per leg of a B2B -- there is no FCC to be had if I cancel no matter when?

Correct  For the short cruises where the deposit is $100 pp that is what you would lose.

4 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

So... if I would lose the amount of deposit in any case, it seems like a good idea to pay only the deposit until the actual final payment due date and avoid an FCC totally if I cancel rather than pay in full at that time?

If your deposit was for a 7 day cruise $250 pp for a total of $500 you would lose $200 if it were 2 people and get a FCC for the $300.  If you had paid in full you would get a credit for the rest of it

If you have paid the deposit in full before  final payment and cancel, you are getting an FCC for the amount of deposit that was not withheld, but you would receive an actual refund for the balance you paid on top of the deposit. 

And yes, Crytalspin - if your deposit is only $100, you just lose your deposit. 

5 minutes ago, molly361 said:

If your deposit was for a 7 day cruise $250 pp for a total of $500 you would lose $200 if it were 2 people and get a FCC for the $300.  If you had paid in full you would get a credit for the rest of it

Now I understand, thank you.  I didn’t realize the FCCs were for the difference between $100 and the actual amount of the deposit, I thought they were for the total that had been paid up until the time of the cancellation minus the $100 pp forfeited.  For my 4-night $100 pp deposit cruise, I can cancel and walk away from the $100 pp or I can pay the balance and cruise (my preference).  

4 minutes ago, springaussie said:

If someone got ill and could not cruise again and had 10 cruises deposits booked in advance, am I right in saying they have lost the whole 10 deposits?

Yes, assuming they had no travel insurance and booked all non-refundable deposits.

Very informative thread. Thanks for posting. We have a cruise booked for late June out of Civitavechia and I am thinking about cancelling because airfare to Rome is sky high at over $2k per person - cancellation is more palatable since we can apply the FCC to an existing reservation. 

• 4 weeks later...

How is the FCC sent?  Postal service.... email.... some other way?  I had to cancel a cruise a couple of weeks ago, and am curious as to what I should be expecting.  We made a $500 deposit, so expect that we should be getting a $300 FCC, right?  Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Sea Dayze said:

We made a $500 deposit, so expect that we should be getting a $300 FCC, right?  

Yes, but it should be $150 for each person in the cabin - not all $300 to you. You should call - the FCC should be available by now to use on another booking.

21 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, but it should be $150 for each person in the cabin - not all $300 to you. You should call - the FCC should be available by now to use on another booking.

Thanks for the response!  I'll give them a call today.........

• 2 months later...