Cruising without a passport? Read this first.

vacation luvver

43 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

A sad story - but have they no friend or relative who could use a credit card to buy them tickets home?  I agree - lack of passports is not the main issue here.

It wouldn't matter if they did.  You can't get on an international flight to the U.S. without a passport.

14 hours ago, LHT28 said:

<<< So Johnson was transferred to a hospital in Nassau, Bahamas, where her U.S. Medicare was not accepted and she would be forced to pay out-of-pocket. >>>

What countries accept  US Medicare? 

I suspect  maybe they had basic  Medicare 

As stated before, it is not that they do not accept Medicare, it is that Medicare does not cover you outside the US or territories.

And a number of other health care plans do not provide coverage outside the US.

40 minutes ago, Philob said:

Only with some plans like:

"Emergencies can happen anywhere As a Kaiser Permanente member, you're covered for emergency and urgent care anywhere in the world.

You will have to pay any bills upfront and submit them to Kaiser for "payment" when you get home.

Which still means that you should not travel overseas without sufficient cash and/or available credit to cover such expenses.

As the ever expanding cruise industry attracts more and more budget-minded travelers,  we are likely to see more people who travel on a shoe string - with no reserves or options to cover unanticipated expenses.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Philob said:

Only with some plans like:

"Emergencies can happen anywhere As a Kaiser Permanente member, you're covered for emergency and urgent care anywhere in the world. Whether you're traveling in the United States or a foreign country, this brochure will explain what to do if you need emergency or urgent care during your trip."

Basically you call their Away From Home Travel line asap to let them know.  You will have to pay any bills upfront and submit them to Kaiser for "payment" when you get home.

Huh, I know my plan (with a major health insurer) covers emergency room visits outside of the US.  I didn't know that most did not.   

17 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

"Amen" to not using "script" fonts, particularly for the mobile version displays- pretty much unreadable.

I agree, but for some reason my emails appear in a script font when some folks read them on their phones.  I do not send them that way and cannot figure out how to stop it from happening!

50 minutes ago, SRF said:

As stated before, it is not that they do not accept Medicare, it is that Medicare does not cover you outside the US or territories.

With certain exceptions.  I only know that because I just read my 2019 Medicare & You booklet. 

Actually Medicare does not cover a lot of things inside or outside the US unless you purchase the additional part and/or  gap coverage.  Point being if someone wants coverage internationally, they purchase it just like at home.  

23 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Huh, I know my plan (with a major health insurer) covers emergency room visits outside of the US.  I didn't know that most did not.   

Perhaps you're misunderstanding the issue:

Plenty of US plans cover emergency et al. medical expenses abroad (e.g., Kaiser, state employee plans like PERS Care [CA], etc). However, because the foreign hospital may choose NOT to bill US insurance directly, a common practice is to require payment upfront and then you file a claim once you return home.

And, as aforementioned, Medicare does not provide for international treatment or emergency care (except in certain cases involving appropriate care in hospitals along our borders). But, many Medicare supplements will convert to the company's basic international coverage once you leave the US. Still, you'd probable have to pay the bill upfront. Nonetheless, the key here is to get the right Medicare supplement!!!!

IMO, traveling abroad without a couple of credit cards that each have at least a $25,000 available credit limit is unwise (to say the least).

In addition, it is amazing how many "seasoned" cruisers are clueless about medical insurance issues (e.g., what exacting constitutes med-evac and pre-existing conditions). But, that's a whole other discussion.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Perhaps you're misunderstanding the issue:

Plenty of US plans cover emergency et al. medical expenses abroad (e.g., Kaiser, state employee plans like PERS Care [CA], etc). However, because the foreign hospital may choose NOT to bill US insurance directly, a common practice is to require payment upfront and then you file a claim once you return home.

And, as aforementioned, Medicare does not cover international emergency care (except in certain cases involving appropriate care in hospitals along our borders). But, many Medicare supplements will convert to the company's basic international coverage once you leave the US. Still, you'd probable have to pay the bill upfront. Nonetheless, the key here is to get the right Medicare supplement!!!!

IMO, traveling abroad without a couple of credit cards that each have at least a $25,000 available credit limit is unwise (to say the least).

In addition, it is amazing how many "seasoned" cruisers are clueless about medical insurance issues (e.g., med-evac and pre-existing conditions). But, that's a whole other discussion.

Yes, I am aware of the cash up front issue and Medicare Gap coverage.   My inquiry was in response to the comments that vast majority of US heath coverage provided no coverage.  I thought there was some limited coverage but agree it is certainly not sufficient for anything but a minor medical situation.  

Anyway, a lot of people did not have any health insurance at home, usually because of the cost.  I guess the same applies to folks who travel.  Or, they simply choose to retain the risk.   

My health plan does cover medical expenses worldwide but it requires me to use a preferred/in-network provider. While I primarily get travel insurance to insure against medevac costs it's nice to know that I don't have to hunt for a provider my plan accepts.

5 hours ago, K32682 said:

It wouldn't matter if they did.  You can't get on an international flight to the U.S. without a passport.

Of course they can with a little time and effort. People don’t get stranded for life internationally because they don’t have a passport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Of course they can with a little time and effort. People don’t get stranded for life internationally because they don’t have a passport.

True.  But it's not just a case of "I have to fly without a passport due to medical problem" and getting on the plane.  It's just one more bit of stress during an already trying time.

20 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

How can this article say they don't have any money?  someon is handing them money and wiring money and a go fund me page worth $4k ... how is that being stuck/stranded without money?

For heavens sake.  How callous.   Grinch.  

Edited by Kingofcool1947

23 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

True.  But it's not just a case of "I have to fly without a passport due to medical problem" and getting on the plane.  It's just one more bit of stress during an already trying time.

Yes, but I think most people with limited means who were gifted a 3 day cruise who probably won’t need a passport again would take a gamble and not get one for this trip.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

You can get a temporary passport in a foreign country with a little time and effort too which is what the people in the original story are doing.  Either way it's needless time and effort.  Not having a passport when in a foreign country, even on a closed loop cruise, is moronic and I have little sympathy for the two women.  

Edited by K32682

6 minutes ago, K32682 said:

You can get a temporary passport in a foreign country with a little time and effort too which is what the people in the original story are doing.  Either way it's needless time and effort.  Not having a passport when in a foreign country, even on a closed loop cruise, is moronic and I have little sympathy for the two women.  

For heavens sake.  What a cruel and callous thing to say about the two women. :classic_angry:

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

One might say the same about posts like this.

• Thanks 1

As I said I understand the financial and various reasons why US folk may not have a passport but in all seriousness...the fact that one can leave their country (or country zone group) without a passport appears odd to the rest of the world. 

The US should have the same passport rules for everywhere else...including for cruises. A US passport is a comparable price to the UK and well worth it. Passports make travelling simple and even though I get the geography of US holiday habits you would hope a regular cruiser would invest in one.

Also...

Surely it is possible to buy holiday insurance/holiday medical insurance in the US? My husband has T1 diabetes (although we are young and healthy otherwise)and our insurance for a cruise inc medical came to around Oz/Asian 3 week cruise holiday cost us £70 which is around $95.

26 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

As I said I understand the financial and various reasons why US folk may not have a passport but in all seriousness...the fact that one can leave their country (or country zone group) without a passport appears odd to the rest of the world. 

The US should have the same passport rules for everywhere else...including for cruises. A US passport is a comparable price to the UK and well worth it. Passports make travelling simple and even though I get the geography of US holiday habits you would hope a regular cruiser would invest in one.

Also...

Surely it is possible to buy holiday insurance/holiday medical insurance in the US? My husband has T1 diabetes (although we are young and healthy otherwise)and our insurance for a cruise inc medical came to around Oz/Asian 3 week cruise holiday cost us £70 which is around $95.

Before 9/11 travel within N.Am and most of the Caribbean did not require a passport. So having to travel with a passport actually appears odd to those of us who where were adults in the last century.

It is unrealistic to expect someone to spend almost half again the cruise fare for documentation that is not required. This is especially so in this case.

Edited by broberts
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Before 9/11 travel within N.Am and most of the Caribbean did not require a passport. So having to travel with a passport actually appears odd to those of us who where were adults in the last century.

It is unrealistic to expect someone to spend almost half again the cruise fare for documentation that is not required. This is especially so in this case.

I have had a passport since 1970  

It  is not odd  to me  the only time  we did not use it  was to travel to the USA  up until 9/11

YMMV

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Similar to LHT28, I have also had at least 1 passport since the early 70's. Having used passports for over 45 years, I certainly don't consider it odd, in fact, departing country of residence, it is just automatic to take both passports.

Personally, I consider the passport expenses a cost of travelling the world. I maintain 2 passports and over the 10 years of validity, I generally recoup the cost of both of them, by savings on Visas, by using 1 or the other.

If the passport costs almost 1/2 the cruise fare, it must be a very short cruise.

3 hours ago, broberts said:

What is unrealistic is the attitude of people who will travel on a shoestring- not wanting to pay for passport or medical insurance.  Sure, I am sorry for them - but they would be better off if cruising were not so cheap - and that government regulations were so lax.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

What is unrealistic is the attitude of people who will travel on a shoestring- not wanting to pay for passport or medical insurance.  Sure, I am sorry for them - but they would be better off if cruising were not so cheap - and that government regulations were so lax.   

Are you suggesting that this was the case with these two PAXs?