Luminae Wishes....

chemmo

I'd really like to understand the thinking of not giving someone who is spending $10,000 a week or more the simple salad/shrimp cocktail or steak/fish/chicken and baked potato that they ask for.  Unless this is resolved by April this will be my mission on board. 

Yes, we also feel that Luminae was an epic fail on Edge especially with the suite prices being charged. You shouldn’t have to provide requests 24 hours in advance especially for those items available on an everyday menu in all other dining rooms. We know food is subjective, but we didn’t find anything that special that we ate there and thought the specialities we far superior.

10 hours ago, chemmo said:

We are amongst those who found Luminae right from the start a bit of a disappointment in terms of choices. If a menu needs ‘supplementing’ by offering the MDR menu as well there must be an issue somewhere. 

We have always enjoyed the service levels in Luminae, no issues there. They have always tried their hardest to accommodate us but now that on the new ships the MDR menu is not available isn’t it time for a review?

My first wish would be later breakfast times on sea days. 

My second would be ‘specials’ offered a couple of times a cruise...On Eclipse last year they did bring on a few fresh items from a couple of ports of call which were available in the buffet. With itineraries known well in front it would be so nice to enjoy something special just once or twice per cruise...

My third wish would simply be to offer just one or two extra entree’s...

I know many of you love the Luminae menu and experience, I am not criticising the experience or the quality of food presently on offer I am just saying that I think it could be improved....

Chemmo, you have made some good suggestions.

From what I have read about the MDRs in the Edge, I would think more suite guests will want to dine there occasionally.  It would be nice to have slots reserved for Suite guests reservations each night.

Celebrity should refresh the Luminae menus every couple of years.  They are basically the same menus as when the concept was first introduced.  

It does not not seem right to me that the Luminae menu should be more limited than a specialty restaurant menu.  Celebrity deals with a more expansive menu in those locations, so why not the Luminae?

Celebrity’s trail run of a brunch instead of breakfast and lunch was not successful.  Two hours for lunch seems about right, but how about 3 hours for breakfast instead of 2 hours? This would give Celebrity an opportunity to adjust the breakfast hours.  Also if the MDR and Luminae kitchen are totally separate on the Edge, perhaps stagger  the hours to give people more options.  Although we like to have breakfast outside in the Oceanview, so it is not a major issue for us.

The  bottom line is that the Edge Luminae modification might be a great opportunity for improvement.

Edited by jagoffee

3 hours ago, JFontaine said:

I'd really like to understand the thinking of not giving someone who is spending $10,000 a week or more the simple salad/shrimp cocktail or steak/fish/chicken and baked potato that they ask for.  Unless this is resolved by April this will be my mission on board. 

Doesn’t seem a lot to ask for....

In addition they should by now be able to analyse ‘popular’ menu items and those rarely ordered. If they were to replace ‘rarely ordered’ items with some new items and then add another entree or two then there would be less guests needing to resort to the MDR everyday items. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Doesn’t seem a lot to ask for....

In addition they should by now be able to analyse ‘popular’ menu items and those rarely ordered. If they were to replace ‘rarely ordered’ items with some new items and then add another entree or two then there would be less guests needing to resort to the MDR everyday items. 

Very true.  From my experience the server know which entrees to avoid and they warn you in a polite way.

8 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Chemmo, you have made some good suggestions.

From what I have read about the MDRs in the Edge, I would think more suite guests will want to dine there occasionally.  It would be nice to have slots reserved for Suite guests reservations each night.

Celebrity should refresh the Luminae menus every couple of years.  They are basically the same menus as when the concept was first introduced.  

It does not not seem right to me that the Luminae menu should be more limited than a specialty restaurant menu.  Celebrity deals with a more expansive menu in those locations, so why not the Luminae?

Celebrity’s trail run of a brunch instead of breakfast and lunch was not successful.  Two hours for lunch seems about right, but how about 3 hours for breakfast instead of 2 hours? This would give Celebrity an opportunity to adjust the breakfast hours.  Also if the MDR and Luminae kitchen are totally separate on the Edge, perhaps stagger  the hours to give people more options.  Although we like to have breakfast outside in the Oceanview, so it is not a major issue for us.

The  bottom line is that the Edge Luminae modification might be a great opportunity for improvement.

Agree with your comments! Especially the final one that Edge Luminae modification might be a great opportunity for improvement not just on Edge class ships but fleet wide.

• Thanks 1

I'm guessing that at some point this will be changed.  If we remember that on the S class ships in the beginning if you asked for MDR items from Blu, they would not comply because the kitchen for Blu was a distance from the MDR.  This was changed ship by ship slowly over the years.   

4 hours ago, jagoffee said:

We really enjoyed brunch at Luminae when it was 1st introduced.  Breakfast is just too early for us, though I love the menu, and not hungry early in the morning. Usually have a light meal in our suite and last cruise had pastries from Luminae which made up for the lack of a full breakfast.

11 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

When I'm sailing in a suite, I'd say my ordering in Luminae is 50% from the Luminae menu and 50% from the MDR menu.  So, yet another reason not to sail on the Edge.

Totally agree!  My DH is a big fan of Luminae, but I am not as adventurous with food so I love that I can mix and match items from the MDR menu and know that I can always find something I’ll be happy with for dinner. 

With the Edge class ships not being able to offer this to diners in Luminae, we will in all probability never sail aboard one of the newer ships.  Between this and what I’ve read about the shrinking suite balconies, plus the ridiculous prices Celebrity is commanding on suites fleetwide now after the “revolutions” I think this suite sailor may venture out and try other lines. 

i don’t think I’ll be missing too much by not sailing the new E-class.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JFontaine said:

I think that this is all down to people not wanting to ask rather than the staff not being willing to provide. On almost every occasion, when my wife orders anything from the Luminae menu, she asks for changed to the dish either different vegetables or potatoes, no sauce or sauce on the side etc and they are always willing to do this. She has even asked for a simple cheese sandwich at lunchtime - sometimes the can't resist making it as a toastie - but she likes that as well. If you do not ask you will not be accommodated. They have come up with a fillet mignon for a friend of ours when it was on neither menu (that was the waiter's suggestion in that instance).

3 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

I think that this is all down to people not wanting to ask rather than the staff not being willing to provide. On almost every occasion, when my wife orders anything from the Luminae menu, she asks for changed to the dish either different vegetables or potatoes, no sauce or sauce on the side etc and they are always willing to do this. She has even asked for a simple cheese sandwich at lunchtime - sometimes the can't resist making it as a toastie - but she likes that as well. If you do not ask you will not be accommodated. They have come up with a fillet mignon for a friend of ours when it was on neither menu (that was the waiter's suggestion in that instance).

On S and M class hopefully this will continue to be the case but not so on Edge.

I still find it hard to understand why, when so many guests are requesting different sides or full dinner requests from the MDR menu, Celebrity are not realising that something must be lacking on the Luminae menu....

It continues to be the only restaurant I know on land or sea that needs a ‘back up menu’, the MDR, because they cannot guarantee that their guests can find something to suit on the Luminae menu.

Edited by chemmo

2 minutes ago, chemmo said:

On S and M class hopefully this will continue to be the case but not so on Edge.

I still find it hard to understand why, when so many guests are requesting different sides or full dinner requests from the MDR menu, Celebrity are not realising that something must be lacking on the Luminae menu....

It continues to be the only restaurant I know on land or sea that needs a ‘back up menu’, the MDR, because they cannot guarantee that their guests can find something to suit on the Luminae menu.

I don't think that adding a couple of dishes to the menu will solve the problem totally and I also don't think that the MDR menu is necessarily the answer. What needs to be more known is that they will cook the protein as you would like it with what accompaniments and sauces you like. When they can do that they solve these issues.

The always available in Blu and the Mdr would at least give most people a bail out and they should have those at hand to prepare from scratch.

I have never had an issue with the Luminae menus but my wife does. I always get something I like from them even if I try something that I have not tried before. If I don't like it they will change it for something else but I do not think that has happened to date.

OK here is a solution.  What if I asked my butler to deliver a caesar salad or escargot to me in Luminae?  Or to my suite prior to Luminae and then I would take it with me?  In a way I'm joking but I think it might cause some embarrassment to the Luminae maitre 'd  or at least get discussed with the food and beverage manager if guests started doing this.  Maybe they would find a solution.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

OK here is a solution.  What if I asked my butler to deliver a caesar salad or escargot to me in Luminae?  Or to my suite prior to Luminae and then I would take it with me?  In a way I'm joking but I think it might cause some embarrassment to the Luminae maitre 'd  or at least get discussed with the food and beverage manager if guests started doing this.  Maybe they would find a solution.

LOL!! We are going to cause trouble on that cruise! Did you hear how my DH and I are going to get better balcony furniture? We decided that we will just spend all our time at the Retreat drinking the top shelf stuff, ordering food several times a day, following the concierges around asking questions and doing belly flops in the pool all day. We figured we would have nice furniture by the second day just to get rid of us. 😉

Should be be a great cruise!!

On 1/3/2019 at 10:07 AM, chemmo said:

We are amongst those who found Luminae right from the start a bit of a disappointment in terms of choices. If a menu needs ‘supplementing’ by offering the MDR menu as well there must be an issue somewhere. 

We have always enjoyed the service levels in Luminae, no issues there. They have always tried their hardest to accommodate us but now that on the new ships the MDR menu is not available isn’t it time for a review?

My first wish would be later breakfast times on sea days. 

My second would be ‘specials’ offered a couple of times a cruise...On Eclipse last year they did bring on a few fresh items from a couple of ports of call which were available in the buffet. With itineraries known well in front it would be so nice to enjoy something special just once or twice per cruise...

My third wish would simply be to offer just one or two extra entree’s...

I know many of you love the Luminae menu and experience, I am not criticising the experience or the quality of food presently on offer I am just saying that I think it could be improved....

I clearly remember the announcement when Luminae was created stating that it would feature locally sourced fare and include lunch daily. But we all know how that went. :)

Now the head chef follows a strict menu set by Miami, the only exceptions being some buffet items and some menu choices for the crew.

I like Luminae but agree wholeheartedly that more choices are needed. I think many people will find it lacking after only two or three cruises when it starts to become repetitive. That said, I find Blu to be the same. 

It's a shame that Celebrity didn't take the opportunity to completely overhaul the Luminae menu with the launch of Edge and extend menu choices fleet wide. 

If people are growing tired of limited menus then perhaps it's time to start ordering more off menu choices, I have no doubt that if this became more popular then X would address the issue very quickly. 

• Like 2

Parent cruise line Royal Caribbean has this issue on many, if not all, of their larger ships.  Their suite restaurant, Coastal Kitchen, is on 16 or so, and the Main Dining Room is on the 3rd floor (although unlike here, both are aft).  They too have small menus, but if I recall correctly they also have everyday favorites, and you can basically order what you want, and if they don't have it they have a runner that they send to the MDR kitchen to get it.  When I could not stand their everyday steak one more night I mentioned it to them, and the next night and thereafter I had a huge filet mignon from who knows where.  Salads, sides, standards - never a problem.  Celebrity needs to figure this out.

Curious about whether this has cut down the number of people eating in Luminae (and maybe being "forced" to pay for specialty restaurants if not included?).  Any recent reports? 

On 1/3/2019 at 11:00 AM, Lastdance said:

I would also like to see some every day items for my DH, as he enjoys just simple foods like chicken, potatoes and a vegetable.  However, with the price of suites being so high on Edge, Luminae may not even work for us after our April TA...lots of unknowns, but I will definitely speak with the chef. I have known about this for some time, and hope things improve...

Agree on the having some simple items in Luminae. 

My DH would choose chicken, potatoes and vegetable for every meal. 

20 hours ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

You do have the option of using the MDR and not Luminae.

20 hours ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

In my experience the staff in Luminae will do try their best to accommodate their guests' requests (within reason). All you need to do is speak to the Maitre D' and let them know your preferences. They may ask the Chef to come out and speak to you directly. If you want to eat chicken and potatoes every night, let them know, I'm sure they would be happy to make you happy.

I prefer to eat fish every night. If for some reason fish is not offered on the menu, all I have to do is ask. 😊

Edited by C-Dragons

14 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

In my experience the staff in Luminae will do try their best to accommodate their guests' requests (within reason).

This, this and this again. People need to remember it's your cruise and the staff are there to ensure you have a good time. Use the Maitre D' (Butler and MC staff too) to full effect (within reason). It's partly why you've paid a premium cruise fare after all. 

Edited by Mynki

40 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Does anyone have some sample menus?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Here's a link to the 14 days of menus - they may have been tweaked a bit since then, but will give you an idea.

• Like 2

I would love to see them update (replace) most of the Amuse-bouches.    I can only think of only 1 or two that are actually interesting and tasty.   Some have really been major disasters.   One that comes to mind is a hard whole radish covered in butter.  99% of guests sent it back and it was recently pulled from the menu. 

4 hours ago, Mynki said:

This, this and this again. People need to remember it's your cruise and the staff are there to ensure you have a good time. Use the Maitre D' (Butler and MC staff too) to full effect (within reason). It's partly why you've paid a premium cruise fare after all. 

Threads should be about spreading ideas...I totally agree with what you say but I do feel if Celebrity were listening to feedback there would be less guests that needed to ask for changes to menu, off menu items, items off MDR menu.....