Oasis cancelled the rest of their cruise: Norovirus

cathi007

7 hours ago, kayjay76 said:

I buy a few things of the Lysol travel spray to go at target. 1st thing I do after putting bag down in room is go thru and spray main surfaces like the remote, door handles, railing on balcony, closet doors, light switches etc. Because the can is so tiny I put it in my clutch and spray where we sit in the buffet. And I try to never use my finger tips to hit the elevator buttons lol. Don't know if it helps but anything to help keep the germies away!

The challenge at the buffet is that, per Lysol's instructions, to disinfect the surface needs to stay wet for 3 min and then allowed to air dry and to kill norovirus the surface must stay wet for 10 minutes and then allowed to air dry.  

11 hours ago, pizzalady1 said:

If the cancer patient has been through chemo his/her immune system is pretty shot. You can contact the Access Department and request a deep cleaning of the rooms, especially the rugs, drapes, shower curtain, etc. 

She had chemo and radiation, but not for a year now. 

7 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Thanks I just purchased 2 and the lysol that kills Noro 🙂

3 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Should this not be moved to the Royal boards?   There are plenty of threads to comment about this over there.  Maybe we can open threads about the Epic bathroom curtain on their boards ?  😉

I put it here, because I am sailing with a cancer patient and just wanted ideas of what precautions to take. I am sure there are threads on the Royal boards too 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cathi007 said:

I put it here, because I am sailing with a cancer patient and just wanted ideas of what precautions to take. I am sure there are threads on the Royal boards too 

For someone with a possibly compromised immune system, do as I've always recommended here:  use whatever makes you feel comfortable, but use it with knowledge.  The knowledge is that very few products are effective against noro, and even those that are, most people do not follow the required "contact time" to kill noro.  Probably the biggest thing I would tell this person, if there is noro on the ship (and I've never had a sailing without at least one case of GI illness), to not eat anything with your hands.  Fries, burgers, pizza, even dinner rolls, either use a napkin or knife and fork.  This is the one major transmission vector that most people forget about, they remember to not touch their face, but they touch their food, which goes right into the gullet.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gershep said:

I read on the Royal board that they were not charging for medical.

18 minutes ago, Gershep said:

I read on the Royal board that they were not charging for medical.

Of course they are not. I have never heard of a ship charging for meds if the sickness is due to noro 

19 hours ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

I am an ER nurse, we use Clorox wipes all the time. Actually, the CDC recommends bleach products (Clorox is bleach) for the Norovirus. I always travel with Clorox wipes, Lysol spray, and plenty of hand sanitizer.

LOL....Clorox wipes has no bleach.

Kinda torn on this one.  Yeah Noro is bad, but a complete refund, probably some credit on a future cruise.

Would insurance pay for this *and* you get the refund? uh, asking for a friend...and trying to find a silver lining on something like this....LOL

Clorox wipes very well may not have any bleach.    But I'd still take them and disinfect every surface in my room daily.   Hand washing with soap and water doesn't do anything to wipe down your door handles?!   

Its the crew that's the issue.    The sick people can get off the ship, they can disinfect the ship all day but when the virus is still going thru the crew, that's the big issue.    The crew are stacking clean plates, they are wrapping silverware, handling cups and drinks.    Its the crew thru the normal course of daily work that is the real worry being sick.

But by all means, I'd be taking clorox wipes and wiping down everything possible.   Hand washing goes only so far......your hands!!   duh.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vyhanek said:

Clorox wipes very well may not have any bleach.    But I'd still take them and disinfect every surface in my room daily.   Hand washing with soap and water doesn't do anything to wipe down your door handles?!   

The point is that regular Clorox wipes do not kill Noro. They do have products that will, but not the regular Clorox wipes.

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

It depends on which Clorox product is used. The ones used by the nurse are probably these...

m007047994_sc7?wid=512&hei=512

...which have Sodium Hypochlorite (.55%) as the active ingredient. 

There are many different types of "Clorox wipes" with different active ingredients. 

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It depends on which Clorox product is used. The ones used by the nurse are probably these...

There are many different types of "Clorox wipes" with different active ingredients. 

Yes, and while this has a much lower concentration of bleach (sodium hypochlorite) than household bleach (6-8%), the concentration in these wipes is 5500ppm, well above the 200ppm that the USPH requires to sanitize food contact surfaces.  Please note that at this concentration, it should not be used on food contact surfaces, as the residual bleach could be harmful.

4 hours ago, Mikiejag said:

Kinda torn on this one.  Yeah Noro is bad, but a complete refund, probably some credit on a future cruise.

Would insurance pay for this *and* you get the refund? uh, asking for a friend...and trying to find a silver lining on something like this....LOL

I'm pretty sure most insurance companies would figure out that you already got a complete refund from the cruise companies, and might go after you for insurance fraud.

We were on the Explorer of the Seas, two or three weeks after the outbreak of Noro, which sent it back to New Jersey early.  They did not have "Washy Washy" people on that ship.  Maybe  Royal should take a tip from NCL and have "Washy Washies" on board.  

NCL cruises don't return early, that we know of, because of Noro.

Noro is not just prevalent on cruise ships.  Kids and teachers catch it in school,  and I came down with it at work where I dealt with the public.  Wherever crowds gather, noro may be there.

On January 11, 2019 at 3:05 PM, ray98 said:

On January 11, 2019 at 4:40 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

Thank you Two Wheels. These are the ones we use at work. But I also buy them to bring on a cruise and at home. Sodium hypochlorite is a liquid bleach.

Edited by Weluv2cruise2gether
  • Like 1

I, too, bought the hydrogen peroxide wipes for our last cruise. I'm so not a germaphobe but wiping down all of the surfaces before we settled in just seemed to be a no-brainer.

As for the Washy-Washy people, I brought my own safe hand sanitizer and we'd spray our hands ourselves instead of them. The main ingredient in most hand sanitizers, triclosan, contributes to antibiotic resistance and the high-alcohol based sanitizers can cause dry, cracked skin, which lowers resistance to bacteria and viruses. 

Additionally, we vigorously wash our hands often (the friction help gets both bacteria and viruses off of your skin), and try to avoid putting our fingers on things. Like, using a knuckle to push an elevator button, put the back of your hand on the stairway banister for support, etc. Finger crossed...

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 7:36 PM, cathi007 said:

I just saw on the news that the Oasis of the Seas (Royal) cancelled the remainder of their cruise out of Port Canaveral. They are offering full refunds for all guests, apparently the Norovirus has struck. I am bringing a container of Clorox wipes on my cruise!!

The key is  to wash your hands as much as possible. Soap and water is enough to keep norovirus at bay, but we all have to do the work. I have witnessed too many times men leaving bathrooms without washing their hands. I wash then when i touch the rails, i wash before eating, i wash when i come back on the ship. I have never been on an NCL cruise with  a norovirus problem. I will say this, NCL was in the habit of the washy washy happy happy however on my last 2 cruises that practice was nowhere to be seen, so wash your hands.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

The key is  to wash your hands as much as possible. Soap and water is enough to keep norovirus at bay, but we all have to do the work. I have witnessed too many times men leaving bathrooms without washing their hands. I wash then when i touch the rails, i wash before eating, i wash when i come back on the ship. I have never been on an NCL cruise with  a norovirus problem. I will say this, NCL was in the habit of the washy washy happy happy however on my last 2 cruises that practice was nowhere to be seen, so wash your hands.

Yeah I can't tell you how many time I witness women coming out of the stall and running out the door without washing their hands, it's disgusting. I have always kept my mouth shut, but man do I want to say something. I am bringing Clorox hand sanitizer that kills noro and Clorox wipes that kill noro, I am a little paranoid because one of the passengers sailing with us has cancer. We are diligent about hand washing though.