Magic Carpet dining stopped

Mynki

I've just read on a Celebrity related Facebook group that X has suspended dining on the Magic Carpet due to problems with the wind. A video taken by a passenger onboard a t the time shows cushions been blown of sofas. As a result it appears to have been scrapped. 

Can anyone on board confirm? 

The dinner and brunch are a once a cruise event, weather permitting.  When we asked we about brunch were told that they didn’t take reservations  but would announce the day (weather permitting) and it was first come first served.

We were at sea yesterday and the Magic Carpet was on  Deck14 &   was open serving drinks, at least in the afternoon.  I didn’t go up there in the evening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

They do not use it if it is too windy and never intended to use it if too windy.  It is in operation on calm days.  Let's not blow this out of proportion

That was my understanding too. They have to plan around the weather (don't schedule for each cruise until close to the date so they have an idea of the weather and then cancel, if needed). They said Apex will be better designed so that it will supposedly not be as much of an issue.

If they had listened to people on the Edge Forum a year ago, they would have done it correctly on the Edge! 😉

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

They do not use it if it is too windy and never intended to use it if too windy.  It is in operation on calm days.  Let's not blow this out of proportion

Not working out for them is it?  there have been reports of cutlery, napkins and now cushions going overboard since she launched.  

29 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

They said Apex will be better designed so that it will supposedly not be as much of an issue.

The way it’s going, I see Apex to be a completely different beast. Now if they could only change the IV’s to traditional balconies, then more of us may want to try it (for the right price of course 😉).

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

blowing things out of proportion is often the main purpose of cruise critic.  Especially when discussing the Edge.  :classic_sleep:

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, villauk said:

The way it’s going, I see Apex to be a completely different beast. Now if they could only change the IV’s to traditional balconies, then more of us may want to try it (for the right price of course 😉).

Maybe for the Beyond they will have more traditional balconies and not 69% IVs.

2 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Maybe for the Beyond they will have more traditional balconies and not 69% IVs.

I've been hoping for this. Unfortunately too late for Apex but many people really just like a real balcony. IV might have been innovative, it doesn't mean it would be a successful concept.

Edited by CruisingTheWaves
  • Like 1

I'll be surprised if that monstrosity isn't removed during the first major refurb.  They must know that keeping that thing operating properly long term will be a nightmare. The concept of a nice large deck for tendering is great but the other uses and just silly gimmicks.  They would have been much better putting a large outdoor boardwalk in for dining like many of the new ships have. Those large boardwalks are great for dining, drinking or just lounging.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

I think we already did 😉

13 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

We just got off Sunday and went to the Dinner on the Magic Carpet the 6th night. It was a terrible mess. It was so windy that people were leaving before finishing. Women's hair completely messed, scarves and napkins flying away. I even saw crab shells flying off plates. It was a calm day leading up to the event, too.

Not worth it.

Also, they stopped using the Magic Carpet for tendering in Grand Cayman about one hour in, and started using the forward door. They mostly didn't use their own tenders, but rather large obnoxiously uncomfortable "barges" owned by the island.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, villauk said:

A bit late...it is being built as we speak... or type

36 minutes ago, Cloudybay said:

We just got off Sunday and went to the Dinner on the Magic Carpet the 6th night. It was a terrible mess. It was so windy that people were leaving before finishing. Women's hair completely messed, scarves and napkins flying away. I even saw crab shells flying off plates. It was a calm day leading up to the event, too.

Not worth it.

Also, they stopped using the Magic Carpet for tendering in Grand Cayman about one hour in, and started using the forward door. They mostly didn't use their own tenders, but rather large obnoxiously uncomfortable "barges" owned by the island.

Oh, dear. Seems as if many their "innovations" are proving impractical for cruise ships. Sorry, but given that they sail their ships EVERY DAY, I don't know how they could overlook weather and sea conditions for these designs and ideas for said designs. It just absolutely baffles my mind. MC had to be engineered, weather HAD to be a factor at some point. HOW did someone along the way not say, "THIS WON'T WORK". Executives too gung-ho about "new ideas" that they just didn't listen to the ones that understood the lack of practicality and usefulness in each phase of production?

Really, just amazing. As soon as I saw pictures of the MC, my first thought was, "Oh hell that would be windy. Really?"

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cloudybay said:

Not worth it.

Omg, it’s horribly inappropriate but I laughed out loud at crab shells flying off plates. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

Oh, dear. Seems as if many their "innovations" are proving impractical for cruise ships. Sorry, but given that they sail their ships EVERY DAY, I don't know how they could overlook weather and sea conditions for these designs and ideas for said designs. It just absolutely baffles my mind. MC had to be engineered, weather HAD to be a factor at some point. HOW did someone along the way not say, "THIS WON'T WORK". Executives too gung-ho about "new ideas" that they just didn't listen to the ones that understood the lack of practicality and usefulness in each phase of production?

Really, just amazing. As soon as I saw pictures of the MC, my first thought was, "Oh hell that would be windy. Really?"

Kind of embarrassing to explain from other ships, when someone asked what that platform is for.  "Oh that's Celebrity's iconic Magic Carpet.  After a few initial sailings, it's out of order most of the time.  They forgot to consider how it would do under sea conditions."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cloudybay said:

Not worth it.

We've always found the "large barges" are much more efficient at moving people to and from the ship than the tenders.