Magic Carpet dining stopped

Mynki

43 minutes ago, bigbeergut said:

Has anyone seen pictures of the Apex?  I wonder if it's too late to eliminate the magic carpet.

It is too late. If the Magic Carpet is missing the stability of the ship changes and therefore a much bigger technical re-design would be required. Same applies if they change the balconies. This would require a lot of structural changes to the ship design, maybe close to designing a new ship.  

• Like 1

Could they  possibly get rid of  it...and make a better boarding  area for the tenders/ launches ? As mentioned...might be technically not doable,  Did not see why such an elaborate hunk of junk was needed for that purpose...So far at least 2 misses for EDGE..MC and IV cabins....Hope they gave refunds and  OBC for those who booked MC and had a mess!

Maybe they can move EDGE around to various  big ports and rent it out as a Convention hotel!

Our first tender experience on EDGE is not til Nov 2019 at GC..hope all  is resolved by then.  I heard that excursion guests which will be us, leave by the local tenders. Hope  at least we might get one of the nicer EDGE ones heading back to the ship,

Edited by hcat
  • Haha 1

I remember when we first saw the “dining on the edge “announced people brought up the fact that the magic carpet has no kitchen. To access the dining on the edge you have to walk across an open deck. And there are no restrooms nearby. What were they thinking? All of this was discussed as long ago as two years, but all of those threads are now hard To find since Cruise Critic moved them.

53 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I remember when we first saw the “dining on the edge “announced people brought up the fact that the magic carpet has no kitchen. To access the dining on the edge you have to walk across an open deck. And there are no restrooms nearby. What were they thinking? All of this was discussed as long ago as two years, but all of those threads are now hard To find since Cruise Critic moved them.

I do wonder about the range of other people whose views were sought on those initial design meetings other than style gurus...A few regular cruisers, a chef, a couple of waiters and a Captain who understood weather conditions seem to have been lacking.

I do love trying new innovations but they do have to be practical....It isn’t even as if they have no experience of on deck dining. On Reflection in the Lawn Grill they know, even in the Caribbean or Mediterranean in Summer it can be blowy and chilly and that has a roof and sides...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

I do wonder about the range of other people whose views were sought on those initial design meetings other than style gurus...A few regular cruisers, a chef, a couple of waiters and a Captain who understood weather conditions seem to have been lacking.

This is what happens when you get rid of all of the old guys with experience and let the kids design the ship.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

It is too late. If the Magic Carpet is missing the stability of the ship changes and therefore a much bigger technical re-design would be required. Same applies if they change the balconies. This would require a lot of structural changes to the ship design, maybe close to designing a new ship.  

It doesn't look like the MC is tied into the main structure, rather the whole assembly, except for the bottom section of the rail is simply attached to the side of ship.  I would bet that they factored in the chance of having to remove that thing.  I'm a mechanical engineer working in a naval field and I would bet they have a way to remove that mess without upsetting the stability of the ship. They may have a ballast tank tied to it because the CG will shift as that thing moves up and down. The engineers are not stupid but we sometimes asked to design stupid stuff like the MC.  But knowing the potential issues of that thing I'm sure the ship is designed so it can be removed.  If not then those engineers were 100% stupid.

• Like 3

On 1/15/2019 at 2:47 PM, villauk said:

The way it’s going, I see Apex to be a completely different beast. Now if they could only change the IV’s to traditional balconies, then more of us may want to try it (for the right price of course 😉).

Celebrity have just released the latest pictures of the final design for Apex

image.png.d37fa8a904d04666e40e279a603aa54b.png

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TFLG said:

It doesn't look like the MC is tied into the main structure, rather the whole assembly, except for the bottom section of the rail is simply attached to the side of ship.  I would bet that they factored in the chance of having to remove that thing.  I'm a mechanical engineer working in a naval field and I would bet they have a way to remove that mess without upsetting the stability of the ship. They may have a ballast tank tied to it because the CG will shift as that thing moves up and down. The engineers are not stupid but we sometimes asked to design stupid stuff like the MC.  But knowing the potential issues of that thing I'm sure the ship is designed so it can be removed.  If not then those engineers were 100% stupid.

Just disconnect the utilities and let the damn thing drop down into Davy Jones Locker.

As a grey beard, I called it last year with the wind.  The MC roof acts like an airfoil and turbulent air currents are developing inside the structure.   Basic airfoil dynamics.  

Celebrity has in the past repurposed an area that was not being use much.  MC was clearly a gimmick.  Hope they can resolve issues with wind and dining.  If not, MC will have less value to Celebrity as a new standard of Modern Luxury.  Not sure how often the tendering function is used either.

1 minute ago, shipshape sam said:

Celebrity has in the past repurposed an area that was not being use much.  MC was clearly a gimmick.  Hope they can resolve issues with wind and dining.  If not, MC will have less value to Celebrity as a new standard of Modern Luxury.  Not sure how often the tendering function is used either.

Yes, it’s going to be a right balancing act 🤣!

You have to feel sorry for the staff, imagine trying to pacify pax every time they have a crab’s leg or cushion flying into them! That’s without all the abuse and refunds they likely have sort, and I imagine the tips wouldn’t be flowing in either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TFLG said:

As engineering gray beard that spent a career dealing with many stupid requests, I'll suggest that it's probably pretty easy to remove the magic carpet.  I'll bet the ship was originally designed without the MC and they needed to add things to balance the effect.  I'll bet that if the eliminate the MC they would also delete some other features and save a lot of money.

12 hours ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

Oh, dear. Seems as if many their "innovations" are proving impractical for cruise ships. Sorry, but given that they sail their ships EVERY DAY, I don't know how they could overlook weather and sea conditions for these designs and ideas for said designs. It just absolutely baffles my mind. MC had to be engineered, weather HAD to be a factor at some point. HOW did someone along the way not say, "THIS WON'T WORK". Executives too gung-ho about "new ideas" that they just didn't listen to the ones that understood the lack of practicality and usefulness in each phase of production?

Really, just amazing. As soon as I saw pictures of the MC, my first thought was, "Oh hell that would be windy. Really?"

Why did someone not speak up about the MC innovation ?

Remember the story of The Emperor’s New Clothes where all the king’ s men did not say a word even though the Emperor was being duped by unscrupulous tailors ?  They claimed they were making a new wardrobe for the Emperor while they were making imaginary clothes,but had the Emperor convinced of his magnificent outfit all the while he was walking about in his underclothes.

Seems to me that there had to be someone involved in the design process that saw the failings of the MC design, but might have been hesitant to voice concerns because others were so hung-ho about the design.

If someone did voice such an opinion, that person deserves a promotion.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Why did someone not speak up about the MC innovation ?

Remember the story of The Emperor’s New Clothes where all the king’ s men did not say a word even though the Emperor was being duped by unscrupulous tailors ?  They claimed they were making a new wardrobe for the Emperor while they were making imaginary clothes,but had the Emperor convinced of his magnificent outfit all the while he was walking about in his underclothes.

Seems to me that there had to be someone involved in the design process that saw the failings of the MC design, but might have been hesitant to voice concerns because others were so hung-ho about the design.

If someone did voice such an opinion, that person deserves a promotion.

Do you know, I can’t believe you posted this analogy as it’s what I’ve been thinking about all along with Edge. Don’t know where you are from in the world, but we are obviously on the same wavelength 😉.

• Like 2