Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

13 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Trouble is, Dave, by what means? I can't see commercial airlines welcoming a covid positive passenger on board and the government isn't likely to be prepared to fly pax home from cruises again. Quarantine them on board until the ship returns to the UK?

The new EU document deals with that, and the ship must have appropriate Covid medical facilities, fully trained crew to deal with everything Covid related, sufficient Covid quarantine quarters, and a repatriation plan specifically for Covid infected personnel.

Also there must be a Covid reporting system in place in agreement with the planned ports of call, which in the above case would be Southampton, and probably involve Southampton General Hospital.

• Like 1

Just now, jake 26 said:

The new EU document deals with that, and the ship must have appropriate Covid medical facilities, fully trained crew to deal with everything Covid related, sufficient Covid quarantine quarters, and a repatriation plan specifically for Covid infected personnel.

Also there must be a Covid reporting system in place in agreement with the planned ports of call, which in the above case would be Southampton, and probably involve Southampton General Hospital.

Thanks, Jake. Apologies - didn't get to the end of the EU document...

Just now, wowzz said:

And what do you do with all the other passengers and crew that they were in contact with?

How would you even know which passengers they were?  Think of how many people you chat with while cruising, sometimes just fleeting moments.

10 minutes ago, Addict said:

How would you even know which passengers they were?  Think of how many people you chat with while cruising, sometimes just fleeting moments.

Exactly - you would have to quarantine the entire ship until everyone had been tested.

11 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

A world beating track and trace system?🤣

An efficient track and trace system is only ever going to be as good as the people you are trying to obtain info from, or their contacts.  It seems to me that it's certain members of society who either have no wish to be responsible and provide a list of possible contacts, or a contact who has no intention of self isolating so refuses to respond to phone calls or text messages.  Probably the same people currently creating mayhem in Devon and Cornwall and those irresponsible oafs who leave their litter behind them. 

Germany's efficient T&T system is because most of their population are responsible and law abiding.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

And what do you do with all the other passengers and crew that they were in contact with?

27 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The procedure is covered in the new document Part 1 section 5 - Response to a Covid19 outbreak.

43 minutes ago, Addict said:

Not to mention the asymptomatic passengers.

Avril 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jake 26 said:

The procedure is covered in the new document Part 1 section 5 - Response to a Covid19 outbreak.

Thanks   - I read the relevant section. If I read it correctly, if a case of CV19 is discovered,  the ship has to head to the nearest port, for testing to be carried out. No guidance, as far as I can see,  as to what to do with all other pax and staff, apart from the possibility of placing the entire ship in quarantine. 

If I have missed the required actions, I apologise.

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thanks   - I read the relevant section. If I read it correctly, if a case of CV19 is discovered,  the ship has to head to the nearest port, for testing to be carried out. No guidance, as far as I can see,  as to what to do with all other pax and staff, apart from the possibility of placing the entire ship in quarantine. 

If I have missed the required actions, I apologise.

The way I read it para 5.2 deals with all the procedures the ship operator should have in place to manage the outbreak, from testing on board, isolation, notification etc etc to disembarkation. Obviously the onus is on the cruise line to ensure all those things are in place and personnel fully trained and practised.

In my view its a very comprehensive document but it means a massive commitment on behalf of the cruise lines, and is it achievable given that the number of passengers will have to be significantly lower than normal?

Even then if the outbreak is severe the final act, as you say, is to cancel the voyage and quarantine the ship, which is where the next part of the document comes into play with the port authority.

No matter what they plan they can only mitigate against what can happen with this virus.

We will stay well clear until it's over, if ever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Maybe we need a sweepstake. 

I'll have 1st September, mainly because it's a Tuesday, and we know that announcements are made on Tuesdays! 

I'll go for Tuesday 8th September at 10am....🤣

I'll go for a Tweet, Facebook news, and yes, a video from him.

About 2000 people will have complained about delayed refunds and the "monster ship" by the end of the day.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

I'll go for Tuesday 8th September at 10am....🤣

I'll go for a Tweet, Facebook news, and yes, a video from him.

About 2000 people will have complained about delayed refunds and the "monster ship" by the end of the day.

I think it may be earlier. The CLIA has announced a further pause until Nov 1.

P&O follow the CLIA, but it may just apply to the US.

5 hours ago, jake 26 said:

The way I read it para 5.2 deals with all the procedures the ship operator should have in place to manage the outbreak, from testing on board, isolation, notification etc etc to disembarkation. Obviously the onus is on the cruise line to ensure all those things are in place and personnel fully trained and practised.

In my view its a very comprehensive document but it means a massive commitment on behalf of the cruise lines, and is it achievable given that the number of passengers will have to be significantly lower than normal?

Even then if the outbreak is severe the final act, as you say, is to cancel the voyage and quarantine the ship, which is where the next part of the document comes into play with the port authority.

No matter what they plan they can only mitigate against what can happen with this virus.

We will stay well clear until it's over, if ever.

That's my reading of the document as well.

I am a little unclear as to the testing regime. If a case of CV19 is detected,  does that mean that everyone on the ship has to be tested? That could easily mean testing 3000+ people. That will  not be easy to do, and unless the new rapid result tests are available,  could mean a delay of 2 or 3 days before the ship can leave.

I still cannot see how cruising can re-start in the current situation,  and I also cannot imagine why anyone would want to set foot on a ship, knowing that the cruise schedule could change at any minute, and also that you could also be quarantined in your cabin for14 days, because of one single CV19 case. 

• Like 2

Southampton VTS is now showing the earliest date for Iona as 10 October.  I appreciate that the accuracy of the cruise ship schedule has been subject to a lot of dynamism over recent months, but until last week it was still showing Iona's September calls, so there has been some sort of update.

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

That's my reading of the document as well.

I am a little unclear as to the testing regime. If a case of CV19 is detected,  does that mean that everyone on the ship has to be tested? That could easily mean testing 3000+ people. That will  not be easy to do, and unless the new rapid result tests are available,  could mean a delay of 2 or 3 days before the ship can leave.

I still cannot see how cruising can re-start in the current situation,  and I also cannot imagine why anyone would want to set foot on a ship, knowing that the cruise schedule could change at any minute, and also that you could also be quarantined in your cabin for14 days, because of one single CV19 case. 

I was talking to a friend yesterday and that is the reason why they won't be cruising anytime soon, if ever.

19 hours ago, jake 26 said:

I think it may be earlier. The CLIA has announced a further pause until Nov 1.

P&O follow the CLIA, but it may just apply to the US.

The CLIA ruling applies to ocean cruises from US ports. P&O are not directly affected as they do not sail from the USA. But as a US owned company they may feel morally obliged to fall in line in respect of cruises from other ports. Watch this space!

24 minutes ago, Denarius said:

The CLIA ruling applies to ocean cruises from US ports. P&O are not directly affected as they do not sail from the USA. But as a US owned company they may feel morally obliged to fall in line in respect of cruises from other ports. Watch this space!

AIDA & Costa clearly don't feel any moral obligation to fall in line with their US owners.