Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

28 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

P&O now have a team on Iona checking it is up to scratch. If it’s not then im sure handover will be delayed but all good for current date as things stand. At the moment, I can’t share that date - it’s more than even my neck is worth!

Thank you for all that you are able to share. By and large it is immaterial when the handover date is. The resumption of sailing date is going to be far more important for those pax booked on her.

One thing I am curious about is why they have not shared any designs for most of the interiors. All previous ships had tons of publicity on what it was going to look like, with design boards, renderings of a number of public rooms and photos of material swatches etc shared well in advance of launch. To date, they have only shared renderings of the atrium, the skydome and some cabins. That is so different from how they have handled things in the past. Is it such a departure from previous ships that they are scared it will shock or frighten people 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

My only comment is that there should be an apostrophe between the 't' and the 's' in twits.🤣🤣

Yep, I noticed that when it was too late to edit. My English teacher would have been mortified 😫😂

Avril  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Britboys said:

One thing I am curious about is why they have not shared any designs for most of the interiors. All previous ships had tons of publicity on what it was going to look like, with design boards, renderings of a number of public rooms and photos of material swatches etc shared well in advance of launch. To date, they have only shared renderings of the atrium, the skydome and some cabins. That is so different from how they have handled things in the past. Is it such a departure from previous ships that they are scared it will shock or frighten people 😀

That's a very good point. We've not had much even in the build up.

Unless it was all planned to start trickling out leading up to May. Even so, you'd think some of it may have been released by now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Yep, I noticed that when it was too late to edit. My English teacher would have been mortified 😫😂

Avril  

I thought that, like me, you couldn't find the wretched thing on your 'phone.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

is the start of 'autumn' actually flexible?

Astronomically Autumn is September 22nd this year. It changes by one day every 4? years I think. Someone will put me right.

Meteorlogically it's September 1st every year.

Avril 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Astronomically Autumn is September 22nd this year. It changes by one day every 4? years I think. Someone will put me right.

Meteorlogically it's September 1st every year.

Avril 

The autumn equinox is not one specific day but it is the time when the sun is directly over the equator. This year it is at 1430hrs on 22nd September. It moves forward by approx 6hrs each year but then is corrected by 24hrs on a leap year. Thus it can be either 22nd or 23rd.

See this

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/seasons.html
Brian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BrianI said:

The autumn equinox is not one specific day but it is the time when the sun is directly over the equator. This year it is at 1430hrs on 22nd September. It moves forward by approx 6hrs each year but then is corrected by 24hrs on a leap year. Thus it can be either 22nd or 23rd.

See this

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/seasons.html
Brian

It is every 4 years then? I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for clarifying 😊

Sis

ATM, Iona cruises don't start until  24th October. Perhaps that is the first day of Autumn this year?

If Iona arrives earlier, perhaps there will be a maiden prior to 24th October? 

it's all academic until the FCO change their advice about cruising which I can't see will be any time soon. 

Cathy

9 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Sorry, not been around for last hour. The subtle takeaway is that the new book ain’t coming out til Spring 2021.

Gala 2 was due May 2022 but now December 2022. Iona delivery “before Autumn” ie this month.

Do you mean, no new brochure until Spring 2021?

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

ATM, Iona cruises don't start until  24th October. Perhaps that is the first day of Autumn this year?

it's all academic until the FCO change their advice about cruising which I can't see will be any time soon. 

Cathy

I somehow don't  think that the seasons can be regulated by P&O's cruise calendar, no matter how much they'd like them to be 😆

Avril 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy v said:

Do you mean, no new brochure until Spring 2021?

I assumed that since Iona2's launch will be for winter 2022/3 season then it's perfectly sensible for the brochure to be launched in Spring 2021, which was always the normal timing. So it's quite possible that summer 2022 cruise brochure could be in Autumn 2020.

36 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I assumed that since Iona2's launch will be for winter 2022/3 season then it's perfectly sensible for the brochure to be launched in Spring 2021, which was always the normal timing. So it's quite possible that summer 2022 cruise brochure could be in Autumn 2020.

Yes, agreed. Sorry if not clear in original message.

3 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Cathy

Don’t count on it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Thanks, I just read that wrong.

4 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Cathy

Absolutely no way that Iona will sail in October,  and realistically any time this year. Our resident mole has been dropping hints right,  left and centre. 

Regardless of any inside information,  how can anyone imagine a ship of Iona's size, even at 50%  capacity,  being allowed to set sail any time soon?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Absolutely no way that Iona will sail in October,  and realistically any time this year. Our resident mole has been dropping hints right,  left and centre. 

Regardless of any inside information,  how can anyone imagine a ship of Iona's size, even at 50%  capacity,  being allowed to set sail any time soon?

I’m going with what Chris Whitty said, that we have reached the limits of opening up society. As cases are starting to rise anyway, I can’t see the government suddenly pushing the limits even further and advising us that it’s ok to travel on cruise ships.

P&O may desperately want to get Iona sailing this year, but it would be very risky. Even if the government gave the go ahead, can you imagine the headlines if there was a COVID19 outbreak on the maiden voyage. The words ‘plague ship’ come to mind.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m going with what Chris Whitty said, that we have reached the limits of opening up society. As cases are starting to rise anyway, I can’t see the government suddenly pushing the limits even further and advising us that it’s ok to travel on cruise ships.

P&O may desperately want to get Iona sailing this year, but it would be very risky. Even if the government gave the go ahead, can you imagine the headlines if there was a COVID19 outbreak on the maiden voyage. The words ‘plague ship’ come to mind.

On the other hand, the number of people dying each day in England from CV19 is less than10, and that figure is distorted by PHE insisting that if a person tested positive even 4 months ago for CV19,   and subsequently died for any reason, such as cancer or heart failure, then the death will be recorded as due to CV19. 

Over the last few months the Daily Fail, and other papers have kept going on about crowds on beaches, on BLM marches,  on street parties etc. Has there been an enormous spike?  No. Is there a second wave -No?

Yes, there is a ripple from the opening up of lockdown,  but nothing pernicious.

Having said that, congregating in the open air,   marching in the streets etc is one thing - going on a cruise ship is  something different!

So, no cruising  this year!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes it would be a PR disaster if trying to restart cruising too soon ended in outbreaks onboard.

Until the powers that be can take the fight too the Virus instead of whats happening now where we are just running away from it, i cannot see how cruising is possible.

So much uncertainty ahead for everyone and at times i struggle to see how things will ever get back to normal, even though they must.

Edited by Chrisdriving
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrisdriving said:

Yes it would be a PR disaster if trying to restart cruising too soon ended in outbreaks onboard.

Until the powers that be can take the fight too the Virus instead of whats happening now where we are just running away from it, i cannot see how cruising is possible.

So much uncertainty ahead for everyone and at times i struggle to see how things will ever get back to normal, even though they must.

As long as the present situation lasts there will be outbreaks on cruise ships. The problem is the enormous disruption to peoples lives if they happen to be in the 'fall out zone', as a friend said to me on Monday, ' no way are we cruising if we might have to quarantine for 14 days'. Treatment of COVID is getting better but the only way of not catching it at the moment is to obey strict social distancing, that is for EVERYONE. Meanwhile we await an effective vaccine and the cruise company gets not a penny more from me. The companies will cheat as well, if their track record has anything to do with it.

Things will never get back to normal, if normal is what you mean by December 2019.

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Things will never get back to normal, if normal is what you mean by December 2019.

I agree with that.

Back in March, I thought that COVID19 will be a history defining event. One day we will talk about before COVID19 and after COVID19, like we do with WW1 and WW2.

The pandemic will end one day, like the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic eventually ended.

But everything will be different by then, including cruising.

December 2019 is gone, and won’t be coming back. Which makes me sad, because I was very happy with my life, and had lots of plans for 2020.

But, I’m doing my best to adapt to this new world, although it is difficult to cope with the fact that life is restricted now. 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I agree with that.

Back in March, I thought that COVID19 will be a history defining event. One day we will talk about before COVID19 and after COVID19, like we do with WW1 and WW2.

The pandemic will end one day, like the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic eventually ended.

But everything will be different by then, including cruising.

December 2019 is gone, and won’t be coming back. Which makes me sad, because I was very happy with my life, and had lots of plans for 2020.

But, I’m doing my best to adapt to this new world, although it is difficult to cope with the fact that life is restricted now. 

Very well said. I, and many many more on here will identify with your thoughts I'm sure.

Avril 

• Like 1

All very philosophical on a thread entitled Iona Construction.  I wonder if Jaydee still looks in?  He’ll be tearing his hair!  Sorry Jaydee.  Strange times

It’s early for all this but, for what it’s worth, I don’t think I will live long enough to see ‘things’ return to 2019.  We’ve lost a lot - some much more than others.  We’ve found a bit too, like pleasure in small things, and the enjoyment of quiet time.

I think my underlying “miss” is spontaneity.  Retirement gave us so much freedom to  do things as we wished, without planning or much forethought.  Now it feels like each day is a bit of a challenge, needing military-grade preparation!  However, especially compared with many others, it’s ok

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I think my underlying “miss” is spontaneity.  Retirement gave us so much freedom to  do things as we wished, without planning or much forethought.  Now it feels like each day is a bit of a challenge, needing military-grade preparation!  However, especially compared with many others, it’s ok

We are both in our seventies and your comment above is exactly how we feel. Nothing is much different for us but we miss doing what we want to when the fancy takes us. We have missed out on one cruise and two short breaks at home but to us it’s a small price for staying safe.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

I don't believe that cruise lines need anyone to "allow" them to sail, just as long as they meet all current maritime legislation, and I am hoping that the CLIA is in regular contact with the correct govt depts, in order to develop safe protocols that will enable the FCO to lift its blanket ban on cruising.