Sleeping arrangement Dilemma

laginog

I’m hoping someone can help with this.  We are booked in an accessible balcony stateroom (3D)  on the Ovation to Alaska in July.  Originally, it was just myself, my husband, & our niece (age 18).   Our nephew (also 18), COUSIN to our niece, is graduating from the Marine Corps Reserves.   He wants to go also.  So, I added him to our booking.  Here comes the “stupid” on my part.  When we have had 4 people, we have always had Pullman beds.  Not even thinking to check when I booked....this cabin has a sofa sleeper.   My hubby and I are both disabled so neither of us can sleep on the sofa.  Of course, these 2 opposite sex cousins can’t sleep together.  TA says no rollaways allowed in this cabin.   No other cabins are available.  Any ideas from anybody?   I thought maybe if we had a balcony lounge chair, we could bring that in & our Marine could sleep on that?   The floor???   Obviously he’s slept in much more difficult places. I’m stressing big time over this.....and I feel stupid after all the cruises I’ve been on & I make this foolish mistake.   Thanks for any suggestions. 

11 minutes ago, laginog said:

I’m hoping someone can help with this.  We are booked in an accessible balcony stateroom (3D)  on the Ovation to Alaska in July.  Originally, it was just myself, my husband, & our niece (age 18).   Our nephew (also 18), COUSIN to our niece, is graduating from the Marine Corps Reserves.   He wants to go also.  So, I added him to our booking.  Here comes the “stupid” on my part.  When we have had 4 people, we have always had Pullman beds.  Not even thinking to check when I booked....this cabin has a sofa sleeper.   My hubby and I are both disabled so neither of us can sleep on the sofa.  Of course, these 2 opposite sex cousins can’t sleep together.  TA says no rollaways allowed in this cabin.   No other cabins are available.  Any ideas from anybody?   I thought maybe if we had a balcony lounge chair, we could bring that in & our Marine could sleep on that?   The floor???   Obviously he’s slept in much more difficult places. I’m stressing big time over this.....and I feel stupid after all the cruises I’ve been on & I make this foolish mistake.   Thanks for any suggestions. 

I’m not sure if this is still an option but once many years ago on a cruise we had our 3 small children. 2 boys and the youngest our daughter. Boys were in overhead bunks. We in the bed. Our daughter in this pull out slat like pallet thing. It slid under bed after use in morning. 

Same thing at Disney world. Family of 5 with kids seemed to have this option.

This was 30 years ago so I’m not sure it’s still a thing.

A handicapped room for you might help as more space for moving around.

Marines know how to adapt.

I think the sofa is extremely small for two young adults regardless to sleep on but if they have to they can always have their own bedding and wrap themselves ( like sleeping bags) they will give you more sheets if you ask, it will I’m afraid be a squeeze though , 4 adults, one bathroom, but I’m sure you will manage 🤗

Bring an inflatable single {single thickness) mattress for the floor.

Ask the Steward for extra bedding.

store under the bed during the day.

Get the marine to inflate it. It might be necessary to not unfold the sofa bed, so your niece (if she will fit) will sleep on the sofa.

I am afraid this is the only solution I could think of.

I will say when I was a young woman and was travelling cheap I shared many a bed with male friends or cousins. If the sofa bed is big enough, either sleep head to feet or use the over/under cover method. I naver had any problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laginog said:

Our nephew (also 18), COUSIN to our niece, is graduating from the Marine Corps Reserves.   I thought maybe if we had a balcony lounge chair, we could bring that in & our Marine could sleep on that?   The floor???   Obviously he’s slept in much more difficult places.

I realize Marines are used to hardship, but am I the only one who finds it a little patronizing to assume that because he's a marine he'll be happy to sleep on a lounge chair or the floor??    (Besides which, if he's just now graduating from reserve training, I'm not sure how much hardship duty he's actually pulled yet but that's not the main point)

You said there were no other cabins available, but it's not clear if you mean there are no cabins with Pullman beds for 4 people available, or if there are no other cabins available period.   If it's the former, would you consider just booking a 2nd standard occupancy cabin for the niece and nephew?  Obviously this would be more expensive but you've kind of gotten yourself into a pickle.  

If booking a 2nd cabin is not an option, keep checking in case a 4 person cabin with Pullman beds opens up (someone could cancel their cruise) but otherwise, purchase a good quality, self-inflating blow up mattress and ask the steward for additional bed linens.   You might also have to ask the steward to remove extraneous furniture in the room so it will fit in the existing floor space (coffee table and whatnot)   This would be a better option than asking the poor guy to sleep on the floor or in a lounge chair.

• Like 3

For crying out loud, they're not going to be boinking each other in the room with you!!!!  The size of the double sofabed might be an issue, but the fact that they are non-partnered male-and-female is not some sort of sin.  They're going to be SLEEPING, not diddling with each other.  Sheesh!  (Seriously, I'm going to be sharing a cabin with a friend-of-a-friend I've never met before, and I'm not even giving it another thought.)

Fortunately, you are in an accessible room, so you'll have extra floor space.  Get a twin-sized air mattress with a pump (battery or plug-in) and ask the steward to put linens on it.  If you need a bit more floor space during the daytime, the inflated mattress can be leaned up vertically against the wall, and the steward can put it back down when he does the evening room service.

Plenty of very affordable options....  click here for Walmart and click here for Target, for some ideas. 

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

No cabins on Ovation have Pullman beds so you don’t need to waste any time looking to see if one becomes available.

Personally I would book your niece and nephew the cheapest inside cabin.  It could be anywhere on the ship as they are both over 18 and your nephew is military. (This gets around the 21 and over to book and be close to the adults cabin)

If thats not not an option then others have made good suggestions with the air mattress.

They aren't going to allow you to book 4 in the cabin anyway are they? only 3 life vests available.

What ship and what sailing and what cabin on you in? You might have other options.

Edited by Jimbo

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

They aren't going to allow you to book 4 in the cabin anyway are they? only 3 life vests available.

What ship and what sailing and what cabin on you in? You might have other options.

The OP said "So, I added him to our booking".  Sounds like they did allow her to book him into the cabin

18 minutes ago, gatour said:

The OP said "So, I added him to our booking".  Sounds like they did allow her to book him into the cabin

Just thought by adding 2 more people in a handicap cabin defeats the purpose of having more room in the cabin to get around and would be more unsafe with 4 passengers in one of those cabins.

We also booked one on Radiance one time when someone canceled just before the sailing and was the same category we booked so we were able to book it, they only allowed 2 passengers in cabin #7110 on that ship.

Don't know why any other handicap cabin on any other ship would be different set of rules.

Edited by Jimbo

18 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Just thought by adding 2 more people in a handicap cabin defeats the purpose of having more room in the cabin to get around and would be more unsafe with 4 passengers in one of those cabins.

We also booked one on Radiance one time when someone canceled just before the sailing and was the same category we booked so we were able to book it, they only allowed 2 passengers in cabin #7110 on that ship.

Don't know why any other handicap cabin on any other ship would be different set of rules.

Some rooms allow two people, some allow three, and some allow four. (And some allow even more!)

Some rooms are accessible and some are not. 

Being accessible isn't what determines number of people per room -- the category and room configuration is the deciding factor.  The balcony rooms that hold four people are the same size as the balcony rooms that hold two people.

Accessible rooms aren't about floor space -- they are about accessibility.  Roll-in showers.  Shower chairs. Handrails. Wide enough doorways for a wheelchair.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

It depends on the disability and the mobility devices needed. The cabin is already approved for four people. Accessible cabins have significantly more space, so it is possible an inflatable mattress could be put somewhere that does not inhibit the disabled person's ability to get around.

I agree with the posters that suggested bringing an inflatable air bed. Get the kind that has an electric pump built in. As long as you find a place where it is comfortable and does not inhibit the other occupants, use it.

9 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Some rooms allow two people, some allow three, and some allow four. (And some allow even more!)

Some rooms are accessible and some are not. 

Being accessible isn't what determines number of people per room -- the category and room configuration is the deciding factor.  The balcony rooms that hold four people are the same size as the balcony rooms that hold two people.

Accessible rooms aren't about floor space -- they are about accessibility.  Roll-in showers.  Shower chairs. Handrails. Wide enough doorways for a wheelchair.  

Wonder square footage wise which cabin is larger, Radiance's cabin #7710 which only holds 2 persons or Ovation's Category 3D Handicap cabin  #9664 which hold 4 persons

Edited by Jimbo

I'd look for an interior to book them in.

Or being that you should have extra floor space because of it being an accessible cabin, I'd suggest the air mattress. 

Not speaking to the size of Ovation's sofa beds as I have no experience in that regard, but I don't really think it's the end of the world if they had to sleep on the same sofa bed... I don't know, I guess I don't see it as that big of a deal. Ask for extra bedding, so they can be somewhat separate. 

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

32 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Just checked the website.  There is a link for accessable cabins.  It list by cabin number the maximinum occupancy for a particular accessable cabin.  Some are two others are four.

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Wonder square footage wise which cabin is larger, Radiance #7710 which only holds 2 persons or Ovation's Category 3D Handicap cabin  #9664 which hold 4 persons

It's not about the square footage. It's about the configuration of the cabin, and the lifeboat capacity. Royal Caribbean decides which cabins are double, triple, and quad occupancy. So, to answer your question; Radiance 7710 is 90 square feet larger, and that is completely irrelevant.

27 minutes ago, payitforward said:

It's not about the square footage. It's about the configuration of the cabin, and the lifeboat capacity. Royal Caribbean decides which cabins are double, triple, and quad occupancy. So, to answer your question; Radiance 7710 is 90 square feet larger, and that is completely irrelevant.

Wow that much smaller, then with a couple of wheel chairs moving around in the cabin it could get tight. I would suggest the OP look for an inside cabin nearby for the other 2 persons.

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Wow that much smaller, then with a couple of wheel chairs moving around in the cabin it could get tight. I would suggest the OP look for an inside cabin nearby for the other 2 persons.

Although the OP said she and her husband are both disabled, that does not always mean they are both in wheelchairs.  Since she clearly indicated they have cruised before, I believe she is capable of deciding whether or not they can make it work.

• Like 2

My goodness laginog, this is what I find on-line about your room!?!  (Ovation, 3D wheelchair accessible?) It’s HUGE lol!  If so there is zero problem here.  Every one who has commented on the air bed would be your best choice ~ and there would be plenty of room.   We have Aerobeds that are almost as comfy as regular mattresses.  They have an internal inflator that inflates and deflates in under a minute and can be carrried on.

If not, and you can afford it, the option of an additional interior room (if it comes available)  is an option.  Because your nephew is only 18, he is not “allowed” to be on his own ~ you will have to find a room that is either in very close proximity or “say” (reconfigure your booking showing...) that you or your husband is rooming with him.

https://havewheelchairwilltravel.net/royal-caribbean-ovation-seas-wheelchair-accessible-cruising/

E5B6B9E7-0BC2-4F79-A296-952D2CFCF89D.jpeg

Edited by LovetheTXsun

34 minutes ago, LovetheTXsun said:

My goodness laginog, this is what I find on-line about your room!?!  (Ovation, 3D wheelchair accessible?) It’s HUGE lol!  If so there is zero problem here.  Every one who has commented on the air bed would be your best choice ~ and there would be plenty of room.   We have Aerobeds that are almost as comfy as regular mattresses.  They have an internal inflator that inflates and deflates in under a minute and can be carrried on.

If not, and you can afford it, the option of an additional interior room (if it comes available)  is an option.  Because your nephew is only 18, he is not “allowed” to be on his own ~ you will have to find a room that is either in very close proximity or “say” (reconfigure your booking showing...) that you or your husband is rooming with him.

https://havewheelchairwilltravel.net/royal-caribbean-ovation-seas-wheelchair-accessible-cruising/

E5B6B9E7-0BC2-4F79-A296-952D2CFCF89D.jpeg

I slept on an Aerobed self-inflatable mattress many times visiting my sister, and it was a VERY comfy mattress.  I'd get a full size that is 54" wide.  The twin is a little narrow for a full-size adult because of the edging.  Worst case scenario you will have to deflate it and fold it over to put under the bed, but maybe not considering how large the cabin is.

https://amazon.com/Intex-Comfort-Dura-Beam-Airbed-Electric/dp/B00GII9ZG8/ref=sr_1_6?crid=RZ5ETQFDOF9A&keywords=aerobed+full+size+with+built+in+pump&qid=1548002143&sprefix=aerobed+full+with+built+in+pump%2Caps%2C241&sr=8-6

Also, in addition to extra bedding in general, ask for two extra comforters:  they make a great mattress pad folded lengthwise.  RCCL is reluctant to supply extra foam mattress pads due to "health" reasons.  So, I've used the comforters as I find them to hot to sleep under, anyway.

Edited by pcur

See if you can bring an inflatable air mattress for one of them to sleep on they're pretty comfortable and can be stored away for extra room in the cabin during the daytime. They're relatively comfortable as well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, laginog said:

The air mattress is a good idea. 

If the Ovation is like her sisters, the sofa bed for two is more separate than on the older ships in the fleet. 

The bottom pulls out and up like a trundle and the pieces remain separate although adjacent. 

Hope this helps.