Seapass card on Door knob - security issue?

billsr

14 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Not sure I understand this part.:classic_huh:

If you don't have your cabin key you can't try to go to your cabin early, thereby getting in the crew's way (that may not be a problem on Royal but it was on Carnival).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I think they were assuming the cards don’t get put outside the doors until just before 1:00

Maybe Royal does it differently but that is the way Carnival does it, the keys aren't put out until the cabins are actually made available to the passengers.

Edited by sparks1093

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

If you don't have your cabin key you can't try to go to your cabin early, thereby getting in the crew's way (that may not be a problem on Royal but it was on Carnival).

Oh, I see.  I don't think that was much of a problem on Royal.  The fire doors to the passenger corridors are normally closed and they station crewmembers in those areas until the staterooms are ready.

11 hours ago, billsr said:

I was reading something that mentioned that RCCL no longer issues you a seapass card at check-in counter.   They supposedly now hang your seapass cards on the cabin doors.    You retrieve your seapass card when the cabin area is opened at 1pm.   My concern is how are they protecting my seapass card from being stolen and used to make purchases before I have had a chance to retrieve it.  This seems like a major security lapse - it'd be like a credit card company hanging my replacement credit card my house door until I get back from work.   I am hoping there is some kind of security control or activation step that ensures the card can only be used/activated by the intended person.

Bill

Credit card companies send the cards through the mail so basically they are leaving it at your door. 

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Oh, I see.  I don't think that was much of a problem on Royal.  The fire doors to the passenger corridors are normally closed and they station crewmembers in those areas until the staterooms are ready.

They do close the fire doors on Carnival but they don't station crew members there so people can (and do) just barge through.

Edited by sparks1093

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

No the fire doors are never locked. Some of us that do B2B cruises have access to our staterooms at any time. 

Agree, I've never seen the fire doors locked.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

On Royal they are not only closed, but locked 

I don't think you will ever see a FIRE door locked. If you do...i would say there are bigger problems that can happen other than going to a room early or using someones Seapass Card that is left outside the door.

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Maybe Royal does it differently but that is the way Carnival does it, the keys aren't put out until the cabins are actually made available to the passengers.

The keys are out earlier than 1pm. I´ve seen this when on B2B Cruises.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paulxyz2004 said:

I never had to call to activate a credit Card. I get it mailed and it´s Ready to use.

Really?  Every credit card I've received in the mail in the last 5 years (probably more) has had to be activated by either phone or web site.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

As many said on here, it´s a non-issue.

But my Evil side can´t help to Point this out to all the paranoid Folks.:classic_tongue:

With the RFID Cards left outside your cabin, someone could read the information from your Card without tempering the envelop. Then an RFID chip could be coded with your information and open your door.:classic_tongue:

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Really?  Every credit card I've received in the mail in the last 5 years (probably more) has had to be activated by either phone or web site.

Yes, I have never had to do this and I´ve had Cards through various Banks and credit Card companies. The pin for the Card is Always sent in a speperate Mailing a couple days apart though.

I´m not from the US / Canada, so that might be the difference here. The activating sounds like a good idea, but as I said I never had to do it.

2 minutes ago, Paulxyz2004 said:

Yes, I have never had to do this and I´ve had Cards through various Banks and credit Card companies. The pin for the Card is Always sent in a speperate Mailing a couple days apart though.

I´m not from the US / Canada, so that might be the difference here. The activating sounds like a good idea, but as I said I never had to do it.

OK, the pin might be the difference.  Pins for  credit cards are not common in the US.  Debit cards here have pins, but generally not credit cards.

5 minutes ago, Paulxyz2004 said:

So that makes more sense.

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

OK, the pin might be the difference.  Pins for  credit cards are not common in the US.  Debit cards here have pins, but generally not credit cards.

We have them for debit Cards and credit Cards, even though I can use any credit Card without the pin as well by signing. The ost Cards now have RFID Chips as well enabling them for contactless payment.

Just out of curiousity and not wanting to take this too far OT, without Pins, how do you get cash from ATM´s?

5 minutes ago, Paulxyz2004 said:

We have them for debit Cards and credit Cards, even though I can use any credit Card without the pin as well by signing. The ost Cards now have RFID Chips as well enabling them for contactless payment.

Just out of curiousity and not wanting to take this too far OT, without Pins, how do you get cash from ATM´s?

I use a debit card at the ATM, which has a PIN.

I'm not sure if I could use any of my credit cards at an ATM as none have PINs.  I've never tried because getting cash using the credit card would incur a cash advance fee and immediate interest.