Seapass card on Door knob - security issue?

billsr

8 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I use a debit card at the ATM, which has a PIN.

I'm not sure if I could use any of my credit cards at an ATM as none have PINs.  I've never tried because getting cash using the credit card would incur a cash advance fee and immediate interest.

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Same here. Credit cards have way too much interest on a cash advance to use them at an ATM.

Thanks.

Probably another difference. I have a Visa and a Mastercard that don´t charge any fees for using ATM´s worldwide and no interest if the Card is Paid off in the next billing cycle. No foreign exchange fees either and the official Exchange rate is used.

3 minutes ago, Paulxyz2004 said:

Thanks.

Probably another difference. I have a Visa and a Mastercard that don´t charge any fees for using ATM´s worldwide and no interest if the Card is Paid off in the next billing cycle. No foreign exchange fees either and the official Exchange rate is used.

Yes, I don't know of a credit card that has no cash advance fees.

34 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

OK, the pin might be the difference.  Pins for  credit cards are not common in the US.  Debit cards here have pins, but generally not credit cards.

Well not quite true....many of my cards when I call to activate, It gives me an option of inputting a pin code of my choosing to use it to withdraw cash. I always opt for this but have never had the need to withdraw cash but it's nice to know that option is there in an emergency.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Well not quite true....many of my cards when I call to activate, It gives me an option of inputting a pin code of my choosing to use it to withdraw cash. I always opt for this but have never had the need to withdraw cash but it's nice to know that option is there in an emergency.

I didn't say that there were no PINs for credit cards, just that it has not been common to have PINs on credit cards.  This could be changing as I've heard that some automated payment places in Europe (like metro stations) now require chip and PIN cards.

4 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

But no one can use that card until you call to have it activated.

Hmm, and the call is to an automated system that asks for your card number and possibly zip code (which is on the envelope). 😄

But your credit card does not show your picture when it is scanned.  Your Sea Pass card does.

Just now, SRF said:

Hmm, and the call is to an automated system that asks for your card number and possibly zip code (which is on the envelope). 😄

My card activations ask a lot more if I'm not calling from the phone number that they have on record.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I didn't say that there were no PINs for credit cards, just that it has not been common to have PINs on credit cards.  This could be changing as I've heard that some automated payment places in Europe (like metro stations) now require chip and PIN cards.

I have a couple of cards with a PIN, and many more without.

The one place I have run into not being able to use a non-PIN card is public transport in Netherlands.  Even in the ticket office, a train ticket could only be purchased with  PIN card or cash.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

But your credit card does not show your picture when it is scanned.  Your Sea Pass card does.

You seem to be going out of your way to make a point that credit cards in the mail have as little, or less, security as the seapasses by the cabin door when it is simply not the case. So since you obviously have never had to go through activating an American credit card why don't you just let it go?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I guess I never watched it very closely.  If that's on Oasis, it's been a while.

Wow, it is based on an Oasis ship, but I've seen it played on all classes.  

Over and over and over..........

Kind of like wash your hands, but with out the great singing.

Been around for years, you should pay attention

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Wow, it is based on an Oasis ship, but I've seen it played on all classes.  

Kind of like wash your hands, but with out the great singing.

Been around for years, you should pay attention

I turn that channel off as soon as I walk in the room.

41 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

…...and over and over and over and over and over...…………………..  (on the Grandeur.  21 nights.  over and over and over and over.  Literally the ONLY channel that plays just one thing over and over and over and over and over...…………….)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I guess I'm one of the ones that doesn't pay attention to that channel. I must skip right over it. I don't think I have ever seen the video. Maybe bits and pieces as I was channel surfing but certainly never the whole video.

Every cruise I've been on in last several years is playing that when we get to our cabin.

They used to play it during muster on Oasis class ships.  Along with Wash Your Hands. It was not played on the Oasis Noro cruise. 🤮🤢 

It will be interesting to see if it's back on Oasis Feb 17

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Every cruise I've been on in last several years is playing that when we get to our cabin.

They used to play it during muster on Oasis class ships.  Along with Wash Your Hands. It was not played on the Oasis Noro cruise. 🤮🤢 

It will be interesting to see if it's back on Oasis Feb 17

We'll be on Adventure in March. MAYBE I'll look for it. I probably won't watch it in it's entirety, but I might look for it.

8 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I guess I'm one of the ones that doesn't pay attention to that channel. I must skip right over it. I don't think I have ever seen the video. Maybe bits and pieces as I was channel surfing but certainly never the whole video.

TV what TV. :classic_wink: 

• Like 1