Diamond lounge access

Janman

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We did a B2B on the Freedom, 3 March and 10 March 2019. The DL concierge was/is Jandi Kim. The absolute worse. All she did was sit at her desk and stare at her computer monitor. My wife and I weren't the only two that noticed her lack of social skills. 

Better than the DL concierge we had on Freedom on our B2B this past September...she was a card carrying executive member of the fashion police...absolutely her attitude wasn't necessary at all...Who cared if a couple of older gentleman had on nice shorts especially the one with the big cast and crutches....and one lady who had on capri's was told they weren't allowed on formal nights. If anyone got there before her she would go around and ask anyone that didn't have on the appropriate dress for the night to leave. But then allow people to take out armloads (5-6 cans) of canned soda from the cooler's...they would just walk in and take them and walk out. Everyone noticed this particular concierge and her rules..it was a popular topic nightly.

31 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Better than the DL concierge we had on Freedom on our B2B this past September...she was a card carrying executive member of the fashion police...absolutely her attitude wasn't necessary at all...Who cared if a couple of older gentleman had on nice shorts especially the one with the big cast and crutches....and one lady who had on capri's was told they weren't allowed on formal nights. If anyone got there before her she would go around and ask anyone that didn't have on the appropriate dress for the night to leave. But then allow people to take out armloads (5-6 cans) of canned soda from the cooler's...they would just walk in and take them and walk out. Everyone noticed this particular concierge and her rules..it was a popular topic nightly.

Never heard that Capri's were not permitted in any DL/CL/SL on ANY night.  The  only dress code I've  ever  seen was no shorts in the evening and no bathing attire.  Do you recall the name of the concierge.  I'll be  sure  to stay away.  To many other places to enjoy on the ship rather than be harassed because my slacks  come to my ankle, not the top of the shoe.     And, to give someone in a cast a hard time, that is awful.  

M

25 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Never heard that Capri's were not permitted in any DL/CL/SL on ANY night.  The  only dress code I've  ever  seen was no shorts in the evening and no bathing attire.  Do you recall the name of the concierge.  I'll be  sure  to stay away.  To many other places to enjoy on the ship rather than be harassed because my slacks  come to my ankle, not the top of the shoe.     And, to give someone in a cast a hard time, that is awful.  

M

It was Gisleni and we certainly complained about her and heard many other's did as well.

The capri's the lady had on came just below her knee....this was just crazy !!!!

32 minutes ago, Ashland said:

It was Gisleni and we certainly complained about her and heard many other's did as well.

The capri's the lady had on came just below her knee....this was just crazy !!!!

Thanks, I'll  be on the look out to avoid. The last thing I need is scolding and embarrassment  because  my slacks are too short.  We prefer to  use the vouchers anyway , but do  visit  the D/C/S lounge once or twice a week. 

One of my favorite  formal night cruise  outfits is black  ankle pants ( are they capris?)  with a gold  sequined sweater.   I feel good in the outfit ,  think it looks nice and it  photographs well.  I guess the  concierge  would think otherwise.  

M

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Thanks, I'll  be on the look out to avoid. The last thing I need is scolding and embarrassment  because  my slacks are too short.  We prefer to  use the vouchers anyway , but do  visit  the D/C/S lounge once or twice a week. 

One of my favorite  formal night cruise  outfits is black  ankle pants ( are they capris?)  with a gold  sequined sweater.   I feel good in the outfit ,  think it looks nice and it  photographs well.  I guess the  concierge  would think otherwise.  

M

Your outfit sounds great and something I would wear (have worn) also.

Hopefully this particular concierge has lightened up a bit after all the complaints...I would tend to think so.

5 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

M

I don't even think that is actually a published rule.  

5 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I don't even think that is actually a published rule.  

Agree, and why many of us complained...stretching and improvising the policy...not a good move.

I am all for keeping out people who do not belong in the Diamond Lounge a benefit that we worked so hard for. If you want your Daughter to get Diamond quicker then book her in a single cabin or suite for double points. 

I applaud the Concierge for keeping out ineligible passengers. Would you bring your Daughter to a company party that she was not invited to? The. Same for the Diamond Lounge it's a privilege not a right. I'm sure when your Daughter makes Diamond she will not want others to enter who are not eligible. 

I'm very close to Diamond and will be Diamond very soon and loom forward to the three nightly drinks and the lounge 

Edited by travelplus
  • Like 2

One idea is for the Concierge to have a SeaPass scanner. If anyone mooches off the lounge she can charge them for it. Little does the freeloader know he or she will see a charge or two on their SeaPass card. Will they then return the next night? 

22 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

M

To me the dress code has gone down hill especially since they started chic night. Totally agree about the cast thing. That should have been overlooked. I would not have minded to have been in that lounge on formal night. It would have been a nice change to see people dress up a little more on formal night. 

21 hours ago, Ashland said:

Not sure if you're saying it was crazy that they didn't allow her to stay with capris or that it was crazy she wanted to wear them. Good grief, it is formal night so is it really going to kill someone to put on some pants or a dress. 

21 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

M

To me ankle pants are just shorter pants and capris are longer shorts. I'm sure you looked good in the pants and sequined top.

14 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

To me the dress code has gone down hill especially since they started chic night. Totally agree about the cast thing. That should have been overlooked. I would not have minded to have been in that lounge on formal night. It would have been a nice change to see people dress up a little more on formal night. 

Not sure if you're saying it was crazy that they didn't allow her to stay with capris or that it was crazy she wanted to wear them. Good grief, it is formal night so is it really going to kill someone to put on some pants or a dress. 

To me ankle pants are just shorter pants and capris are longer shorts. I'm sure you looked good in the pants and sequined top.

What I'm saying is it was "crazy" that the concierge would say that this wasn't really formal night wear. I love wearing capri's..knee or ankle length that can be dressed up/down and the lady in question looked great...Many of us gave her a look that she certainly didn't need to go change and she didn't....and keep in mind this was a southern caribbean itinerary. The attitude this concierge took with her understanding of the policy and applying it (embarrassing people) was wrong !

I'm going to assume that this concierge ultimately after that cruise realized she was wrong.

We've had some amazing concierge's...some alright and some unforgettable for the wrong reasons.

Edited by Ashland

Regarding dress in the C/D/S lounges, I thought it was no shorts at night. Specialty restaurants  and Coastal Kitchen do not require formal dress on formal night, nor does any dining venue, why should the lounges have stricter  rules.  I wish I had kept the welcome letters that explain the dress code in the lounges.  

We are  old school ( nor maybe just old) and while  we don't do full gown and   tuxedo anymore, we do like to dress nicely.   There are nights I am less  formally dressed  than other nights but still should pass a fashion police concierge. 

Another reason to enjoy the ship venues and stay out of the lounges.  

M

On 2/16/2019 at 9:35 AM, island lady said:

Quite common with group bookings, though don't usually see them take over the VCL.  On Oasis, seems many times some group has taken over Blaze, which normally serves as an overflow for the DL.  No overflow when they do that. They also took over the whole Solarium Cafe for meals...which is usually a favorite for us.  The year before, the same group took over Wipeout Cafe.  

Bummer when the groups keep us from venues we enjoy.  😞 

So do they just fill up the place or they actually say you can't go in?

23 hours ago, Ashland said:

Maybe she is one of the few that actually cares about the rules and is doing her job. Suprised people complained that she was trying to have people dress decent on formal nights. 

20 hours ago, biomedbob said:

As D+ it's fun to go to the lounge sometimes before the freeloader party in my holey tee shirt and tattered shorts.  Great reaction to get me removed.

What does your status have to do with anything? Sounds like you like to try to stir the pot.

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Isn't this actually part of the Concierge's job? 

I would think so otherwise people will come as they please in whatever they want. It's called formal night for a reason. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, travelplus said:

I am all for keeping out people who do not belong in the Diamond Lounge a benefit that we worked so hard for. If you want your Daughter to get Diamond quicker then book her in a single cabin or suite for double points. 

I applaud the Concierge for keeping out ineligible passengers. Would you bring your Daughter to a company party that she was not invited to? The. Same for the Diamond Lounge it's a privilege not a right. I'm sure when your Daughter makes Diamond she will not want others to enter who are not eligible. 

I'm very close to Diamond and will be Diamond very soon and loom forward to the three nightly drinks and the lounge 

Just about every ship I am on, I am greeted  by the concierge.   If I have not previously met them, he/she will ask my name  or ask to see the sea pass card.  I never mind showing them.   I often see the concierge the morning of the second day as we are in for coffee and we will introduce ourselves.  Often there is some staff outside the  door.  If needed, I gladly show the card.

What I do mind is a passenger designated gatekeeper. On a recent cruise we didn't use the lounge in the evening  till maybe the 5th night.  As we entered behind a passenger, the  passenger stopped us and told us it was a private  venue for Diamond members  only ( which is not entirely accurate as we are above diamond and  also have access) and the passenger went on to explain the C&A program  and that I needed  some particular number of points to enter the lounge.    I didn't bother to tell the passenger that  we  turned  Diamond  back in 2005 and were well aware of the various categories.   Why do passengers do this? 

On our last cruise,  the pool deck was fairly crowded.  There was a couple standing near the suite sun deck gate and just followed in behind me.  I said nothing.  Perhaps they were eligible to be there, perhaps not, but that is not my responsibility. 

M

If an overflow area  is used by a specific group, generally RCCL has assigned the group to that space.  One reason others can't use the space that night   is often the group as some sort of cocktail party arrangement and others can't " crash" the venue.

I do recall  once seeing a notation in  a  welcome letter that there would be an overflow at Blaze, except for some specific night.  Honestly I don't recall if there was a different overflow or no overflow that night.

m

16 minutes ago, Ashland said:

What I'm saying is it was "crazy" that the concierge would say that this wasn't really formal night wear. I love wearing capri's..knee or ankle length that can be dressed up/down and the lady in question looked great...Many of us gave her a look that she certainly didn't need to go change and she didn't....and keep in mind this was a southern caribbean itinerary. The attitude this concierge took with her understanding of the policy and applying it (embarrassing people) was wrong !

I'm going to assume that this concierge ultimately after that cruise realized she was wrong.

We've had some amazing concierge's...some alright and some unforgettable for the wrong reasons.

I have never known capris aka long shorts to be formal. That's a new one on me. Why do you think she was wrong, because she was trying to have people dress a little closer to the formal attire? Other concierges have just gotten to be so indifferent to the rules because many passangers have been taking a yard when RC was trying to give them an inch. As for dressing up or down clothing you can also dress up bikini bottoms with a fancy top. Yes it's still a bikini, but so are the long shorts.

What does a southern caribbean itinerary have to do with anything? Most of our cruises have been in the Caribbean and we still dress formal. Find something cooler to wear instead of a sweater. 

14 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

There is interpretation, and there is ignorance draped in confidence.  Sounds like the concierge takes the latter approach. 

And you think she's ignorant why?

9 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Regarding dress in the C/D/S lounges, I thought it was no shorts at night. Specialty restaurants  and Coastal Kitchen do not require formal dress on formal night, nor does any dining venue, why should the lounges have stricter  rules.  I wish I had kept the welcome letters that explain the dress code in the lounges.  

We are  old school ( nor maybe just old) and while  we don't do full gown and   tuxedo anymore, we do like to dress nicely.   There are nights I am less  formally dressed  than other nights but still should pass a fashion police concierge. 

Another reason to enjoy the ship venues and stay out of the lounges.  

M

I thought formal nights also applied to the MDR. They have just gotten so lazy that they let everyone and everything in. Smh

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

If an overflow area  is used by a specific group, generally RCCL has assigned the group to that space.  One reason others can't use the space that night   is often the group as some sort of cocktail party arrangement and others can't " crash" the venue.

I do recall  once seeing a notation in  a  welcome letter that there would be an overflow at Blaze, except for some specific night.  Honestly I don't recall if there was a different overflow or no overflow that night.

m

Oasis in February used Blaze except one night, and they moved it to Jazz. It was noted on the welcome letter