Facial Recognition Technology at Miami Port--Wow

nelblu

Off Symphony today and Customs used face recognition technology (no passports or any other identification used) to clear Pax thru Customs.  Very impressed as it took only seconds to recognize and clear.  An I-Pad size screen is used for Pax to face and be recognized.  Our bag porter told us that it's being used on a random basis--some days you go by face recognition and other days the old fashioned ways. 

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, birdylady said:

So, how would this impact or be impacted by Global Entry? Would the face recognition make Global Entry obsolete?

Erika

It seems as such.  Also, heard an ad on radio and seen It being hawked by the TSA line at Newark Airport and the product is called "Clear".  The technology is either facial recognition or Iris scan and .  It is being used at some 2 dozens airports.  Don't know what the annual cost is. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 216Cruiser said:

I wasn't aware of them using it disembarking the Allure last Sunday but I was amazed at how fast the entire process was. We didn't even have to fill out the old "what did you buy" paperwork or anything.  Basically walked off the ship. Nice.

The Custom Form has been discontinued for at least 2-3 years on both cruises and Transatlantic flights into the US (Philadelphia).

On 2/21/2019 at 10:33 AM, 216Cruiser said:

I wasn't aware of them using it disembarking the Allure last Sunday but I was amazed at how fast the entire process was. We didn't even have to fill out the old "what did you buy" paperwork or anything.  Basically walked off the ship. Nice.

They weren't using it when we got off Allure this Sunday.  I asked about it and they said they don't use it on Sundays.  Disembarking was super simple without it but it would have been fun to try!

We used this in Miami at Terminal A coming off Mariner in December. It was great and super quick. They didn't have it at Terminal G when I got off Mariner there on Sunday, but CBP was also super quick just checking passports matched faces and sending us through without any questions about what we purchased or anything.

LOL, the funny thing was my first encounter with facial recognition software was at the Universal theme parks with their express pass lines of all places. It seemed spotty there at best, rejction rate was high. But I'm sure they were using a much lower spec camera. 

On 2/21/2019 at 11:38 AM, nelblu said:

It seems as such.  Also, heard an ad on radio and seen It being hawked by the TSA line at Newark Airport and the product is called "Clear".  The technology is either facial recognition or Iris scan and .  It is being used at some 2 dozens airports.  Don't know what the annual cost is. 

I think its 10 a month. We bought it a few months ago and its amazing. They scan you and take you right up to the passport/ boarding pass checker guy and you walk past everyone. Its awesome. It is not in very many airports though. But stellar for Orlando which is always zoo bc of all the families.

5 hours ago, jean-lynd said:

They weren't using it when we got off Allure this Sunday.  I asked about it and they said they don't use it on Sundays.  

Some kind of religious prohibition?  Was the background some Greek music?

On 2/21/2019 at 12:48 PM, Jasonmom said:

Don't mean to sound crazy or stupid ........ but ....... will this work on kids?  He does have a passport.

It does and it’s crazy how well it works.  Airlines are using it for boarding now too.

we were on a flight from Atlanta to Charle de Gaulle, and Delta was using it.  We checked in at Charleston WV, and no Pics were EVER taken.  Our daughters passport pic is from when she was 5 months old. And her head was slightly to the side even.   

In ATL they have you walk in front of a machine and look at it.  It then beeps and gives a green light and spits out a small slip of paper with your name and seat assignment.  It is crazy fast.  Faster than scanning a barcode for sure.   

My daughter was 3.5 so three years older than when the passport photo was taken, which is the only pic they have access too.  It worked flawlessly, spit out her name and sent her through.  I was impressed.

16 minutes ago, rimmit said:

It does and it’s crazy how well it works.  Airlines are using it for boarding now too.

we were on a flight from Atlanta to Charle de Gaulle, and Delta was using it.  We checked in at Charleston WV, and no Pics were EVER taken.  Our daughters passport pic is from when she was 5 months old. And her head was slightly to the side even.   

In ATL they have you walk in front of a machine and look at it.  It then beeps and gives a green light and spits out a small slip of paper with your name and seat assignment.  It is crazy fast.  Faster than scanning a barcode for sure.   

My daughter was 3.5 so three years older than when the passport photo was taken, which is the only pic they have access too.  It worked flawlessly, spit out her name and sent her through.  I was impressed.

OK so it uses your passport photo? 🤔

Not the one RCI takes for the seapass? 🤔🧐

3 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

OK so it uses your passport photo? 🤔

Not the one RCI takes for the seapass? 🤔🧐

The ones in ATL did.   There is obviously no “sea pass” at the airport and no other pics were taken unless they were secret pictures.  It was almost magic, honestly.

not sure what RCI does or what software they use for their facial recognition algorithm,  but I would imagine if it’s border entry it would be similar to the airlines.

• Thanks 1