How often cruises cancelled

cruisekap

I am just curious if anyone has an idea about how often cruises are cancelled.  I had booked a  Mariner departing Feb 25. (cancelled for charter). I rebooked on a shorter Mariner in Feb and also Navigator.  Navigator has since been cancelled as well.

This is the first time I have experienced a cancelled cruise.  I am going to hold my breath until I get on Mariner....:classic_wacko:

The mid sized ships (Voyager and Freedom class) seem to get chartered maybe once a year - the others a bit less. Cancellations due to dry dock are much rarer, probably even less than weather.

Edited by Biker19

Thanks.  I guess I am lucky.  Charter and dry dock in Feb.  Actually it has worked out well for me but I am flexible.  I really feel badly for others.  I didn't bother cancelling my flight.  Instead I am staying in Fort Lauderdale and renting a car.

41 minutes ago, cruisekap said:

I am just curious if anyone has an idea about how often cruises are cancelled.  I had booked a  Mariner departing Feb 25. (cancelled for charter). I rebooked on a shorter Mariner in Feb and also Navigator.  Navigator has since been cancelled as well.

This is the first time I have experienced a cancelled cruise.  I am going to hold my breath until I get on Mariner....:classic_wacko:

It does not happen very often, only one for us in the last 10 years.

Had one this year and two 2yrs ago(B2B), one for Charter and others Royal re positioned ship. Otherwise none in 30+ yrs though seems be more and longer Charters in resent years. 10-20yrs ago Charters were more of 3-4 niters, now 7 and even 10/11 

• 4 weeks later...

My family’s mariner of the seas sailing for November 4, 2019 has just been canceled due to a charter. Still trying to reach “warehouse store” travel agency to rebook. Keep getting voicemail. I will probably never book with a warehouse store travel agency again. This was my first time using them. 

To add to what others have posted I’ve been traveling on cruises for 15 years and over 25 cruises and this is the first one that was canceled for a charter. From others’ experience it seems like it might be becoming more common recently.

On 2/13/2019 at 4:58 PM, cruisekap said:

Reassuring.  I was just wondering.  I have been on a number of cruises since 2001 and this is a first.  2 cancelled in the same month.  Hopefully that is my quota.

It has happened to us 4 times over the years!  Once, we were booked on the Rhapsody for TWO different Repo Cruises.  The one in March leaving the Caribbean and one in Oct. going back to the Caribbean.  BOTH of those were canceled when they sold the Legend and moved the Rhapsody to the Med to do Legend's cruises.  Why didn't they just cancel the Legend cruises????

9 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I have many in the last 12 months... 😁

Navigator, Allure, Oasis 2x, Explorer... forgot the others...

Wow. In that same time frame I had 2 cancelled.  Mariner (9 months out) and Navigator (12 DAYS before cruising). The first was for a charter and the second poor planning of Navigator dry dock. (my opinion). What were the reasons given for the 5 cruises that were cancelled on you?

27 minutes ago, cruisekap said:

Wow. In that same time frame I had 2 cancelled.  Mariner (9 months out) and Navigator (12 DAYS before cruising). The first was for a charter and the second poor planning of Navigator dry dock. (my opinion). What were the reasons given for the 5 cruises that were cancelled on you?

2 chartered the rest drydock... 🙄