Gas Station Food on Vision of the Seas

Cowbert

My Dad & Brother sailed today from New Orleans on Vision of the Seas. My brother emailed this picture of some pre-packaged sandwiches in the Park Cafe.

He referred to this as "gas station" food.  I wouldn't argue with him.  In 42 cruises, I've never seen a pre-fab sandwich wrapped in plastic. They should just put them in a vending machine and be done with it.  The food & beverage manager has clearly given up. I'd be embarrassed to serve this to paying passengers.

GasStationFood.jpg

• Like 1

In Europe this is literally how all to-go sandwiches are packaged -- from 'gas station' to posh supermarkets. You can get luxury sandwiches like this for about £5 from a number of fancy places. It's hygienic, allows for advanced preparation, allows them to keep/stay fresh for longer, and is a great way for people to get sandwiches for later. If I have the option to grab a sandwich to take on an excursion, this is a fantastic way for me to do that. This looks great to me!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, londongal796 said:

In Europe this is literally how all to-go sandwiches are packaged -- from 'gas station' to posh supermarkets. You can get luxury sandwiches like this for about £5 from a number of fancy places. It's hygienic, allows for advanced preparation, allows them to keep/stay fresh for longer, and is a great way for people to get sandwiches for later. 

Asia too. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cowbert said:

My Dad & Brother sailed today from New Orleans on Vision of the Seas. My brother emailed this picture of some pre-packaged sandwiches in the Park Cafe.

He referred to this as "gas station" food.  I wouldn't argue with him.  In 42 cruises, I've never seen a pre-fab sandwich wrapped in plastic. They should just put them in a vending machine and be done with it.  The food & beverage manager has clearly given up. I'd be embarrassed to serve this to paying passengers.

GasStationFood.jpg

I hope they will get a gas station to top up the rental car too! 👍

Pity they didn’t also post a picture of the made to order salad with dressings, soup, kummelweck sandwich and cakes that would have been right by the pictured chiller cabinet with said sandwiches.   Park cafe is a fantastic alternative to the logjammer when coming back to the ship, grab a quick sandwich with a salad or bowl of soup. Oh, and don’t forget the paninis and quesadillas in the same pictured cabinet. We have sailed Vision many times .

No complaints here.

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Like 13

4 hours ago, Cowbert said:

GasStationFood.jpg

They had pre-packaged sandwiches on Symphony's Central Park Café, but that does not stop Pax from ordering freshly made salads, paninis, famous roast beef sandwiches, etc. 

• Like 3

I actually prefer them being packaged and sealed like this. This is way more hygenic than having them on an open tray and they will be much fresher this way too.I see Nothing anyone would Need to be ashamed About. I actually applaud to them for doing it. 

Now if we are Talking "green" we could discuss About the plastic used, but certainly this is not a discussion About inferior Food Quality.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

The complaint seems to be the packaging rather than the sandwich.  There is plenty of other fine unpackaged food available at the Park Cafe.

Maybe, but the title doesn´t say Gas Station packaging, it say Gas Station Food. 

As I said above the packaging is wisely Chosen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cowbert said:

GasStationFood.jpg

We were on Holland's Koningsdam last fall.  They served packaged sandwiches in the buffet.

5 minutes ago, gerif said:

Can you imagine the lines - particularly for boarding day lunch - if every sandwich had to be custom made?

On Oasis class ships Central park Cafe, if you want a special sandwich or panini in  they will give you a number and delivered to your table when completed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, micmacmissy said:

Sure.  But that doesn't make single use plastics any less of a threat to our environment overall!

So, what you're saying is you never use any plastic of any kind?  Really?   We've had those packaged sandwiches for lunch on Grandeur a couple of times.  The egg salad is good.  The point of this thread is the OP's description of "gas station food", but come on people, the OP wrote that to create drama.  BTW, Park Cafe's have had those sandwiches for as long as I can remember, so the OP's 42 cruises is an interesting statement.   They're on Oasis class as well as Vision class and others.  OP must not have ever looked.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2