Gas Station Food on Vision of the Seas

Cowbert

21 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

So I usually avoid threads like this ---- with wild tangents --- people with different political (in this case environmental) beliefs etc.

But I'm going to weigh in on this one.

That case of food looks bad.  It's messy, cheap looking, and invokes the spirit of a convenience store.  Many people like convenience stores and the grab and go mentality.  That's fine.   But I have never seen anything of the sort on a Royal Caribbean ship and I've been sailing with them since I was a kid.

Grab and Go food?  nope  never seen it like this.

Park Cafe is an Oasis class thing --- it's awesome.  You come in and you order a freshly made sandwich and it's given to you.

Cafe Promenade is on the Voyager, Freedom, Oasis, & Quantum class    You walk up and  there's a case with a million little mini sandwiches,  You pick one and a server puts a few on your plate and you go.

That's the way it always has been for me.   Those of you who say this is nothing new --- I don't know where you've seen this.

Maybe it's a Vision-Class thing?   I've never sailed a vision class ship.

However, I sailed Serenade, a Radiance Class which had one of these little mini versions of a Park Cafe.   It was basically one dude at a tiny counter handing out random pre-made food.

I thought it was a bad idea.  It was no Park Cafe, nothing like it.

It served it's purpose some random place, open off-hours for a quite bite.  I went there a lot because I get hungry late night --- and we had early seating.   But even there, I never saw this plastic wrapped sealed grab and go type thing.

They guy still handed you what you want on a plate.

I get everyone has their own opinion --- but I have to agree with the spirit of the original poster, it LOOKS LIKE food you'd find on a shelf at a 7-11.  

It doesn't look like anything I would expect to see on a RCI ship.   It's certainly nothing I've ever seen on an RCI ship.

As someone booked on Vision and Enchantment right now, I'm really disappointed to see this.  It's just not the RCI I know.

If RCI said --- this helps keep norovirus down and that the only  reason we did it, I'd probably swallow it more easily.

But it's not what I expect from them.  Not what I'm used to, and while I agree with many of you, grabbing something to eat quickly is nice.   I've never had to wait long at all for a sandwich in Cafe Promenade, and it's a much nicer experience.

It just looks blah.   

Took me 1 minute to find a video... approximately 53 seconds in.

15 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Those refrigerators are often not very strong. Be careful what you pick up and how long you store it.   

Good luck!

m

I know and why I referred to them as "cooler's" also.....I would only grab them in the early evening....and by the way it helps to put a baggie of ice in the cooler's, they stay much cooler using this trick we've learned over the years. Yes...I bring baggies for different uses.

On 2/24/2019 at 8:04 AM, blueridgemama said:

how would you wrap a sandwich at home to go in a kids lunchbox or a bagged lunch for work?

most kids lunches are packed in reusable containers.

On 2/24/2019 at 12:22 PM, nhraformula00 said:

Is there any other way to keep them FRESH????????????????????????????

Well , yes ... make them to order.:classic_cool:

On 2/24/2019 at 2:50 PM, Iamcruzin said:

I bet that they rethink this packaging once everyone catches on that this is a convenient to go lunch in port. I bet people will be lining up and hoarding them in their refrigerator. This is especially good for all of those who take along a collapsible nylon cooler. Yep those room stewards are going to see a lot more request for ice as well. 

So heres the real question? so are those considered commercially produced bc they are sealed? I bring granola bars from here for excursions, to snack on in afternoon, Id love a sandwich. But I am not one of those people who bring gallon bags and fill with bootleg food. I have grabbed a box of fruit loops on Carnival that has ( or had) the boxes. Its been a few years and I can remember that being an issue. People would take take 10 for their kids.:classic_biggrin:

Oh and I am just shocked and dismayed by the display case , the poor presentation, the plastic....🙄 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Same here.  Will be on Symphony in 10 days and I bet it will have it too. I might eat one tuna sandwich the entire week but one can only eat so many roast beef on a bun. 

I am not sure why some are offended. It’s really no different than grab and go food at Sorrento's, the Dog House, and El Fresh Loco,  only it is packaged like “gas station food”.  Wait a second... sandwiches, hot dogs and burritos are all served at some gas stations.

The Horror.  The Horror. 😉

We were on Symphony a few weeks ago.  I picked up a pre-made salad with boiled shrimp and it was saran wrapped neatly.   It was fine and then added a fresh cut roast beef sandwich.  All was good.  It did not seem to me to be problematic, just sensibly wrapped for keeping in the case.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

most kids lunches are packed in reusable containers.

Well , yes ... make them to order.:classic_cool:

So heres the real question? so are those considered commercially produced bc they are sealed? I bring granola bars from here for excursions, to snack on in afternoon, Id love a sandwich. But I am not one of those people who bring gallon bags and fill with bootleg food. I have grabbed a box of fruit loops on Carnival that has ( or had) the boxes. Its been a few years and I can remember that being an issue. People would take take 10 for their kids.:classic_biggrin:

Oh and I am just shocked and dismayed by the display case , the poor presentation, the plastic....🙄 

they do make sandwiches to order but not everyone wants to wait so they prefer a premade sandwich -no biggie IMO. And what do you think your granola bar is wrapped in?

Edited by blueridgemama
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 7:00 AM, cruisegirl1 said:

Those refrigerators are often not very strong. Be careful what you pick up and how long you store it.   

If you can, prop the door to the cubby open.

A refrigeration unit can only maintain a certain temperature difference to the surrounding environment.  In the cubby, with the door closed, the air in the cubby gets hot, so the fridge will be warmer.  Open the door a bit, and the air in the cubby will be cooler, and the fridge will get colder.

Simple thermodynamics. 😄

• Like 1

Personally speaking, I think this is a great option if you want to grab something and eat by the pool or something of the sort.  Have no problems at all with this.  I've also had some very good "gas station" sandwiches.  Wawa has some and they're very good.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

they do make sandwiches to order but not everyone wants to wait so they prefer a premade sandwich -no biggie IMO. And what do you think your granola bar is wrapped in?

I never said I had an issue with premade sandwiches.  Someone asked how people pack a lunch for kids/ As a former teacher I simply answered.

You might work on understanding sarcasm. Or actually answer my question as to whether the sandwiches are allowed off the ships.

8 hours ago, SRF said:

If you can, prop the door to the cubby open.

A refrigeration unit can only maintain a certain temperature difference to the surrounding environment.  In the cubby, with the door closed, the air in the cubby gets hot, so the fridge will be warmer.  Open the door a bit, and the air in the cubby will be cooler, and the fridge will get colder.

Simple thermodynamics. 😄

Yes, always do this. Drops Temp's 5 degress inside. But to OP these are not Refrigerators, only designed as a cooler and when originally put on Royal ships held Candy, chips and water to purchase

6 hours ago, Lupush said:

Personally speaking, I think this is a great option if you want to grab something and eat by the pool or something of the sort.  Have no problems at all with this.  I've also had some very good "gas station" sandwiches.  Wawa has some and they're very good.

👍 I was just about to post that anyone disparaging gas station food has never had a sub from Wawa.

We also had a taco stand open in a section of a Shell Gas station by us in Maryland at the intersection of Rte 175 and Rte 1. Word quickly spread about the "gas station" tacos and when the taco stand owner expanded and open a restaurant nearby to replace the gas station stand, he named it "Gas Station Tacos" so that all the fans would know it was the same food. 

As an aside, while browsing the emojis, I noticed the following one and wonder if its inclusion was an oversight: 🖕

All this speculation is relative.  If you prefer freshly made food, move on to all the zillion other venues that offer that.  Some folks don't prefer that, they prefer pre-wrapped food, as some here have already related.  I don't understand how it affects people who are going to eat elsewhere.  I was on Vision last January 2018 and will be again in 1 month.  I do not eat sandwiches.  I like to experience the bigger venues and the food in them.  We plan on Chops and Giovanni's on our 5 day cruise in April and the main dining room the other 2 nights and for lunch and breakfast.  It's all good!

57 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

👍 I was just about to post that anyone disparaging gas station food has never had a sub from Wawa.

7 hours ago, Lupush said:

Wawa has some and they're very good.

Wawa isn't your average gas station food stop. It's more like a deli that sells gas. Here in NY we have quickie marts and 7 eleven. I wouldn't feed a dog what they are trying to pass off as people food. We finally got a Quick Check here which is on par with Wawa. I have purchased sandwiches in both establishments out of state and they were delicious. I'm not sure how Quick Check will do here. I haven't been to it yet. You have to realize that NY is the capital of deli food and bagels and there are several of each within a small radius of each other.

21 hours ago, Ashland said:

I know and why I referred to them as "cooler's" also.....I would only grab them in the early evening....and by the way it helps to put a baggie of ice in the cooler's, they stay much cooler using this trick we've learned over the years. Yes...I bring baggies for different uses.

The Plastic Police will be after you 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Homosassa said:

We also had a taco stand open in a section of a Shell Gas station by us in Maryland at the intersection of Rte 175 and Rte 1. Word quickly spread about the "gas station" tacos and when the taco stand owner expanded and open a restaurant nearby to replace the gas station stand, he named it "Gas Station Tacos" so that all the fans would know it was the same food. 

As an aside, while browsing the emojis, I noticed the following one and wonder if its inclusion was an oversight: 🖕

Thanks, I will have to try this place out.

There are actually articles about the best gas station food.  Royal Farm chicken is a winner.

13 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Wawa isn't your average gas station food stop. It's more like a deli that sells gas. Here in NY we have quickie marts and 7 eleven. I wouldn't feed a dog what they are trying to pass off as people food. We finally got a Quick Check here which is on par with Wawa. I have purchased sandwiches in both establishments out of state and they were delicious. I'm not sure how Quick Check will do here. I haven't been to it yet. You have to realize that NY is the capital of deli food and bagels and there are several of each within a small radius of each other.

7-eleven hot dogs are actually quite decent.