Gas Station Food on Vision of the Seas

Cowbert

11 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

Well, of course.  I'm not sure there is a carbon neutral way to travel, is there?

Once you get to your destination, you have choices.  

https://www.bucuti.com/blog/caribbeans-first-certified-carbonneutral-resort-261

Good promo.  0 carbon footprints would put them be out of business.  It's like politicians, they want no carbon, but yet fly all over the world.

I'm waiting for someone to come on this board and tell us that they will cease cruising as they want no carbon footprint.  Maybe the future, cruise ships will be converted to battery, sail or solar power. But it better to be soon as I understand we only have 10 years to survive on this planet.

Edited by nelblu
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

I've tried lot's of dessert's onboard that look great and have no taste at all...a pet peeve of mine on RCI.

Royal Caribbean isn't the only line either.   Chapstick has more flavor than some of the desserts on Princess and Celebrity.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Good promo.  0 carbon footprints would put them be out of business.  It's like politicians, they want no carbon, but yet fly all over the world.

I'm waiting for someone to come on this board and tell us that they will cease cruising as they want no carbon footprint.  Maybe the future, cruise ships will be converted to battery, sail or solar power. But it better to be soon as I understand we only have 10 years to survive on this planet.

If one does the math, if you want to go to destination X, taking a cruise ship is better than flying.  

When we ran the math on the Harmony, the per-passenger MPG was around 60mpg.  Which is pretty remarkable.  And that is at max speed running everything.  So since ships don't sail that fast, the actual per-passenger mileage is much better.

It's not zero.  But it's better than flying.

• Haha 1

I agree that it does look like gas station or cafeteria style food which isn't very appealing. All they need is a "sell by" date on the front package. They are also just put in there all hodgepodge, which doesn't help with making it look nice. Self serve options are nice, but it isn't really even self serve since you have to ask for it. Seems like just making it at the time of order wouldn't take very long and be more desirable for both taste and appearance.

Also, I also find it interesting how much plastic is being used for sandwiches, salads, and fruit cups, but straws are the current enemy...

4 hours ago, alfaeric said:

The thing is- extracting oil from the ground isn't the problem.  

Burning it to make power is.  So using 55 gal of oil in a gearbox isn't the same as 55 gal of oil burnt in a diesel engine.  

All that oil for wind farms are contained and not burnt.  Theoretically, they can also be recycled to be used again- preventing it from being burnt.

And the hole for the tower was dug by a clockwise rotation cyclone, and the concrete was mixed by the earth's spinning gravity,

and the steel was made in a volcanic furnace, and the dead birds are cleaned up by vultures. 

13 hours ago, A2Mich said:

Isn’t that the truth.  RCI needs to step up their game on desserts.  The only desserts that I remember being consistently and reliably good were Jello, pudding, and the cookies at WJ.  Most others were hit or miss.  Designed for great presentation, but fell off in delivery...

Now THIS I can agree on!  And what is up with the chocolate lava cake in the MDR that is a very light brown color...so strange...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLHugh said:

And the hole for the tower was dug by a clockwise rotation cyclone, and the concrete was mixed by the earth's spinning gravity,

and the steel was made in a volcanic furnace, and the dead birds are cleaned up by vultures. 

And what does that mean?  

Do you not see that using 55 gal of oil that isn't being burnt is not the same as burning 55 gal of oil?  Climate change isn't caused by taking oil out of the ground, it's the combustion of it for power...  So a windmill using 55 gal of oil isn't a big deal or some kind of truth that changes their equation....  That's all I'm pointing out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

We have started cruising more with MSC , their mini desserts in the buffet are to die for!  Mini pannacotta, mini brûlée , mini eclairs , mini fruit flans , mini tiramisu, I could go on .......... and of course mini jello . Next week I’ll be eating some more !!  😆.

You should go to the MDR on sea days and the dessert tables in the buffet area will knock your socks off.   Especially on Oasis and Quantum class ships.  Some will include chocolate/vanilla fountains and the chocolate one when in contact with ice cream reminds me of the Dairy Queen brown tops.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 7:22 AM, Jasukkie said:

Well half the question said work lol. I have raised children, and they had lunch boxes. There are a variety of ways of packaging the items within the lunch box, such as reusable containers, wax paper wraps, or bento box style containers. I never thought it was all that unusual to do so. 

That is just tit for tat, almost all those items are disposable.  Get a grip.  RCCL has the Save the Waves program in place and reminds all of us to dispose of those type items in their receptacles.  Watch Travel channel to see how they deal with garbage.  They are way more sustainable than the average person.

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

And what does that mean?  

Do you not see that using 55 gal of oil that isn't being burnt is not the same as burning 55 gal of oil?  Climate change isn't caused by taking oil out of the ground, it's the combustion of it for power...  So a windmill using 55 gal of oil isn't a big deal or some kind of truth that changes their equation....  That's all I'm pointing out.

Do you not understand the amount of carbon emissions it takes to build the Windmill?  How long does it take pay back the 

Carbon Debt incurred in the initial process?  And it uses 55 Gal per month as they replace the oil.  Now, how much Carbon debt is incurred to remove that oil from the ground.  Respectfully, we disagree on the value of Wind generation of electricity.  Mods, Sorry to have partially hijacked this thread.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

This must be that El Paso County math? 😜

Green energy isn’t always as green as its purported to be.  Al Gore laughs all the way to the bank.  And no, I didn’t attend school here.

11 hours ago, Fancypants! said:

I agree that it does look like gas station or cafeteria style food which isn't very appealing. All they need is a "sell by" date on the front package. They are also just put in there all hodgepodge, which doesn't help with making it look nice. Self serve options are nice, but it isn't really even self serve since you have to ask for it. Seems like just making it at the time of order wouldn't take very long and be more desirable for both taste and appearance.

Also, I also find it interesting how much plastic is being used for sandwiches, salads, and fruit cups, but straws are the current enemy...

I don't think you've ever been in a Park Cafe, because your comment makes no sense.  

These items are certainly self-serve. 

They are in an open cooling case, free for the taking.  Which is probably why they are "just put in there all hodgepodge" -- they were probably all straight in the beginning (that's the way I've always seen them), but rude passengers messed them all up grabbing around for what they wanted.

Honestly, I wish the Cafe Promenade had these items instead of their "sandwiches" on offer, which are rarely appealing.  I love Freedom class, but the absence of Park Cafe and the available salads and sandwiches is a real downside to that class of ship.  Finding something decent to eat at night (after the nightclub closes) is a real struggle.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I don't think you've ever been in a Park Cafe, because your comment makes no sense.  

They are in an open cooling case, free for the taking.  Which is probably why they are "just put in there all hodgepodge" -- they were probably all straight in the beginning (that's the way I've always seen them), but rude passengers messed them all up grabbing around for what they wanted.

Honestly, I wish the Cafe Promenade had these items instead of their "sandwiches" on offer, which are rarely appealing.  I love Freedom class, but the absence of Park Cafe and the available salads and sandwiches is a real downside to that class of ship.  Finding something decent to eat at night (after the nightclub closes) is a real struggle.

Very good and valid points. 

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

I’ve been in the Park Cafe, but only on Oasis class. I was incorrect that it isn’t self serve. I thought that I saw glass in front of the food in the OP’s picture, but there is not. I feel like there is somewhere else (on Oasis class) with prepackaged food where you have to ask for things like a fruit cup? Maybe the Wipeout Cafe? I can’t really remember.

And yes, late night food options that aren’t pizza or the items in the Promenade would be nice. I did like that on Celebrity, their “Windjammer equivalent” was open very late with a lot of different options.