Gas Station Food on Vision of the Seas

Cowbert

43 minutes ago, micmacmissy said:

Our next vacation is in Aruba, at an eco-friendly resort called Bucuti & Tara.  They have a 0 carbon footprint.  It isn't perfect but we do what we can!

0 carbon footprint?  What do they have a bunch of windmills or a huge dam on their property..  Or maybe, the man who invented the internet none other than Gore is running the resort.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nelblu said:

0 carbon footprint?  What do they have a bunch of windmills or a huge dam on their property..  Or maybe, the man who invented the internet none other than Gore is running the resort.:classic_biggrin:

And all food must be served raw.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Can you make a wind turbine while maintaining a zero carbon footprint???

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Can you make a wind turbine while maintaining a zero carbon footprint???

Even though most wind turbines will only produce half of the energy required to build, maintain, and dismantle them.....

13 hours ago, nelblu said:

They had pre-packaged sandwiches on Symphony's Central Park Café, but that does not stop Pax from ordering freshly made salads, paninis, famous roast beef sandwiches, etc. 

I just got off the vision.  This is inside the solarium.  They also were carving roast beef for sandwich with gravy. They were yummy!

3 minutes ago, tunisbridal said:

I just got off the vision.  This is inside the solarium.  They also were carving roast beef for sandwich with gravy. They were yummy!

Yes, the famous Kummelweck sandwich.  Love the salty roll.:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, micmacmissy said:

I never said I never use plastic of any kind.  However, I avoid using plastic wherever I can.  

Barb is a recycling Nut...She has special bags she uses instead of single use bags when shopping and has three recycling containers depending on material for each.  Psycho on the other hand, hunts and provides wild game to supplement our family meat needs.  

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Also, the resort is indirectly creating huge carbon footprints as guests need to fly to the Island.

Well, of course.  I'm not sure there is a carbon neutral way to travel, is there?

Once you get to your destination, you have choices.  

https://www.bucuti.com/blog/caribbeans-first-certified-carbonneutral-resort-261

I don't know folks.  Pre-packaged food is not appealing to me.  I understand that it is convenient and might serve needs of some for a quick something when returning from an excursion.  I personally would not opt for pre packaged plastic wrapped food.   I like sandwiches.   If I want a sandwich, I think I'll go with freshly made to my spec's.   

21 minutes ago, ldubs said:

They must have huge gearboxes.  That is a lot of lube oil. 

Yep, that is one of the Dirty Little Secrets of Windmills.  Google it 

for an eye opener.  Also, to build

a 100 Windmill Farm take about 2 Million Barrels of Oil....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I've had great looking food taste like crap.

Biker, who only cares about the taste and not so much looks.

I've tried lot's of dessert's onboard that look great and have no taste at all...a pet peeve of mine on RCI.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, FLHugh said:

Doubt the tree huggers know this.  Just another "inconvenient truth". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I don't know folks.  Pre-packaged food is not appealing to me.  I understand that it is convenient and might serve needs of some for a quick something when returning from an excursion.  I personally would not opt for pre packaged plastic wrapped food.   I like sandwiches.   If I want a sandwich, I think I'll go with freshly made to my spec's.   

I can see that, but imagine that the sandwiches are likely only a few hours old, as opposed to real gas station sandwiches which I have seen being several days old.

26 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I've tried lot's of dessert's onboard that look great and have no taste at all...a pet peeve of mine on RCI.

Isn’t that the truth.  RCI needs to step up their game on desserts.  The only desserts that I remember being consistently and reliably good were Jello, pudding, and the cookies at WJ.  Most others were hit or miss.  Designed for great presentation, but fell off in delivery...

1 minute ago, A2Mich said:

I can see that, but imagine that the sandwiches are likely only a few hours old, as opposed to real gas station sandwiches which I have seen being several days old.

Yeah, I'm not calling them gas station sandwiches.  Maybe more like "airport" food to me.  Anyway, claims of a prepacked processed food salad being the absolute best are kind of hard to swallow (pun intended).  :classic_biggrin:

Anyway, everyone has their own tastes in what is good.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yeah, I'm not calling them gas station sandwiches.  Maybe more like "airport" food to me.  Anyway, claims of a prepacked processed food salad being the absolute best are kind of hard to swallow (pun intended).  :classic_biggrin:

Anyway, everyone has their own tastes in what is good.   

Especially tuna salad or egg salad....🧐

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yet people admit to doing it. The only Port that I know of that is really strict is Bermuda.  I have been on roll calls for other lines where people admit to ordering room service the night before and wrapping the sandwich with sandwich wrap that they brought from home. Personally that's too much work and planning for me but I would definitely grab one of those gas station sandwiches after a day in port.

Cozumel too. The last couple of times we were there the pier was backed up with people being checked for food. There was a pile of fruit from the ship like you wouldn't believe.

1 hour ago, Big_G said:

Cozumel too. The last couple of times we were there the pier was backed up with people being checked for food. There was a pile of fruit from the ship like you wouldn't believe.

Yeah was trying remember which one had a food sniffing Dog on Pier, might been at Cozumel

Edited by ONECRUISER

7 hours ago, A2Mich said:

Isn’t that the truth.  RCI needs to step up their game on desserts.  The only desserts that I remember being consistently and reliably good were Jello, pudding, and the cookies at WJ.  Most others were hit or miss.  Designed for great presentation, but fell off in delivery...

We have started cruising more with MSC , their mini desserts in the buffet are to die for!  Mini pannacotta, mini brûlée , mini eclairs , mini fruit flans , mini tiramisu, I could go on .......... and of course mini jello . Next week I’ll be eating some more !!  😆.

Edited by heatherb1958

10 hours ago, FLHugh said:

The thing is- extracting oil from the ground isn't the problem.  

Burning it to make power is.  So using 55 gal of oil in a gearbox isn't the same as 55 gal of oil burnt in a diesel engine.  

All that oil for wind farms are contained and not burnt.  Theoretically, they can also be recycled to be used again- preventing it from being burnt.