Gas Station Food on Vision of the Seas

Cowbert

4 hours ago, SAS21 said:

We just disembarked Vision yesterday and I have to say the food was the worst we have experienced on RCL. We  have had dinner in the windjammer on several other cruises with no complaints but what they served on Vision was awful.

I didn't however see any packaged sandwiches. 

I'm surprised as the many recent post have said the food on Vision was very good. We'll be on her in May for the Med/Greece cruise..I'm sure the food will be just fine for us as we're not picky and everything tastes better to us at sea !!

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

I'm surprised as the many recent post have said the food on Vision was very good. We'll be on her in May for the Med/Greece cruise..I'm sure the food will be just fine for us as we're not picky and everything tastes better to us at sea !!

We were on the Vision earlier this month and thought the food was fine.  However, we also are not picky, and never go to the MDR.  I found plenty in the Windjammer to keep me happy, and Park Cafe has some great Carrot cake that is not packaged in Plastic.

11 hours ago, Paulxyz2004 said:

I actually prefer them being packaged and sealed like this. This is way more hygenic than having them on an open tray and they will be much fresher this way too.I see Nothing anyone would Need to be ashamed About. I actually applaud to them for doing it. 

Now if we are Talking "green" we could discuss About the plastic used, but certainly this is not a discussion About inferior Food Quality.

As far as packaging, is it possible to make these sandwich containers from the same corn based products as some plastic-like drinking cups are made from?

41 minutes ago, rkkunk said:

Huh. I didn’t know that. I thought it was any food from the ship.

I have always heard that Cozumel was pretty strict, with dogs that sniff beach bags as people leave the ship.

Legally, it is any food, BUT commercially packaged/sealed packages present little risk to the port country, and officials will usually allow it. Australia inspects any food when you arrive, including airline peanuts, granola bars, everything. 

And Cozumel and some other ports do have (highly trained) dogs to check passenger belongings for food products. 

12 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We thought the food was pretty good this time. The cruise line does seem to be making more of an effort with quality. We ate specialty 4 of the 7 nights and it was great.

We did have sewage and water flooding our bathroom floor on 2 separate nights, but that was a different issue with an older ship. :classic_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Legally, it is any food, BUT commercially packaged/sealed packages present little risk to the port country, and officials will usually allow it. Australia inspects any food when you arrive, including airline peanuts, granola bars, everything. 

And Cozumel and some other ports do have (highly trained) dogs to check passenger belongings for food products. 

Are you sure?  Because I just did extensive googling, and everywhere says that commercially prepackaged food is ok to take off of the ship, and off of a plane.

The only reason I am passionate about this- due to health reasons, I’ve been on a few cruises and other trips (like India and China) where I really needed to take high protein snacks with me.  I researched back then, and it was ok- if they were commercially prepackaged.  My research today says it’s still ok?

3 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Are you sure?  Because I just did extensive googling, and everywhere says that commercially prepackaged food is ok to take off of the ship, and off of a plane.

The only reason I am passionate about this- due to health reasons, I’ve been on a few cruises and other trips (like India and China) where I really needed to take high protein snacks with me.  I researched back then, and it was ok- if they were commercially prepackaged.  My research today says it’s still ok?

I am sure it is fine if you declare it, when asked. If you are asked if you are carrying any food, and say yes, 2 bags of chips, granola bar, whatever and then show them? I don't think there is any problem at all. I think the problem is that people stretch the boundaries of what sort of food they think they can bring off the ship. That results in a blanket prohibition against food, of any kind. 

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You’re kind of missing the point.

single use plastics do not break down.  Single use wax paper, paper towel and TP do.

Okay I will give you the tp however the other two don't break down in a land fill.   They are basically hermatically sealed in with everything else that goes in your garbage can.

I am environmentally consious.  I use a mixture reusable grocery bags and single use plastic bags.  Publix (a grocery store chain Southeast US) has bins where you deposit the single use plastic bags for recycling.  They also have bins for styrofoam egg and meat trays and paper bags.  I utilize them all of the time, along with the home pickup of recycable matterials.

And count me in on the side of having no problem with cruise ships eliminating plastic straws

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I bet that they rethink this packaging once everyone catches on that this is a convenient to go lunch in port. I bet people will be lining up and hoarding them in their refrigerator. This is especially good for all of those who take along a collapsible nylon cooler. Yep those room stewards are going to see a lot more request for ice as well. 

Not a chance.  Got caught in San Juan with just a couple of ham sandwiches to hold us over during our flight.  The way the dog was sniffing my wife's bag, Custom's thought that we were bringing drugs--How disappointed they were.:classic_rolleyes:

We learned our lessons as it is not worth it.

Also, in Cozumel, they have a dogs and many gendarmes as you are ready to exit the fenced port area.

1 hour ago, BND said:

First you talk about people taking them off the ship for lunch.  Now, you're saying people are "horrified".  One poster was bothered by plastic, the OP apparently thinks it's "gas station food".  Neither indicates any "horror".  You commented on something you haven't experienced since as you state you haven't been on RCI for 20 years.  What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

The thread title is gas station food which has a negative connotation. I read it as it’s new to Royal Caribbean. If you hadn’t mentioned that they have had them for a few years I wouldn’t have known. I sail on multiple lines and on roll calls the topic of packing food for port always comes up with suggestions on how to accomplish this. This packaging is the very thing they look for.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BND said:

So, what you're saying is you never use any plastic of any kind?  Really?   We've had those packaged sandwiches for lunch on Grandeur a couple of times.  The egg salad is good.  The point of this thread is the OP's description of "gas station food", but come on people, the OP wrote that to create drama.  BTW, Park Cafe's have had those sandwiches for as long as I can remember, so the OP's 42 cruises is an interesting statement.   They're on Oasis class as well as Vision class and others.  OP must not have ever looked.

I never said I never use plastic of any kind.  However, I avoid using plastic wherever I can.  So no - I would not grab a sandwich packaged that way - not in a store, not in a gas station, not on a cruise.  I also ask for drinks without plastic lids, I do not use straws, and I do not use plastic bags when checking out at a store.

9 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

how would you wrap a sandwich at home to go in a kids lunchbox or a bagged lunch for work?

Good question!  A reusable glass lunch container, a reusuable sandwich wrap (google them), or in a pinch, aluminum foil.  Never, ever a plastic bag.

9 hours ago, gatour said:

Hmm, isn't wax paper wraps single use?  Do you use paper towels or TP.  both single use

I found the presentation of the pre-packaged sandwiches a little eh.  However I am sure I have must has seen them on my recent cruises but it doesn't stick in my mind.

There are lots of sandwich wraps out there that are multi-use.  Yes, I use TP all the time.  And I use paper towels (more sparingly).  But paper breaks down MUCH more easily than plastic.  I'd be thrilled if plastic were banned!  Celebrity's new ship is not using plastic bottles.  A great step in the right direction!

4 hours ago, GarlicBread said:

I'm sorry, but some of you acting all horrified about the plastic and how bad it is...why are you cruising (and potentially flying across the world to cruise)? It's one of the least eco friendly vacations ever! Haha!

Our next vacation is in Aruba, at an eco-friendly resort called Bucuti & Tara.  They have a 0 carbon footprint.  It isn't perfect but we do what we can!

1 hour ago, Corby114 said:

Pre packaged sandwiches in the Park Cafe are not considered Gas Station Food by any means. Some decent deli’s in my area package sandwiches the same way to protect there customers from cross contamination.

Agree, love me some good Deli Food. Packaging has nothing to with Taste

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrFunInTheSun said:

The “gas station” food comes quite handy after coming in from a day in port. Stop by Park Cafe and grab some food and go. I do believe that is what it’s intent is. “Grab and go”. 

The gas station chef’s salad was one of the best chef salads I’ve had. Grabbed a couple of them and carried my food of choice away to my area of choice to eat it. 

Below are “gas station” choices on Symphony of the seas a week ago. 😀

7F510E77-6ADF-4EF8-B2B9-734134FAC71F_zps

5A8D56CE-02B0-4B85-AAE2-685F31F9C3D9_zps

934544FF-AFCB-4832-A11F-440B8BBCF0B5_zps

Looks good to me, thanks for sharing

I can see why the OP was taken aback. It's not the presentation one is accustomed to on a cruise ship. Regardless of how the food actually tastes, it looks cheap, and certainly gives the impression that the food was not freshly made on board. "Gas station food" would've been my first thought as well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hapster85 said:

Regardless of how the food actually tastes, it looks cheap, and certainly gives the impression that the food was not freshly made on board.

I've had great looking food taste like crap.

Biker, who only cares about the taste and not so much looks.

• Like 5