Gratuities

jimpod

1 hour ago, ExDean said:

Yup...my Soda and More which I had reserved for this fall is now "Out Of Stock."  Way to go sneaky Princess.🤬  You'd think if one had a package reserved they would honor that... NOT. First the missing chair and now this - Princess, you are continuing to add to the bad taste in my mouth.  Disappointed!

You had not reserved the Soda and More package. If you had, they would have honored the price.

Anything in the shopping cart is not reserved until paid for. If the price goes up before you purchase it, you pay the new price. If you had already purchased it, then you would have paid the old price.

The same thing applies to shore excursions. If you pay for it (with credit card or OBC), then the price won't change. If you put it in your wish list, then you are still subject to any price increases until you purchase it.

BTW, Amazon and other online retailers work the same way. If I put something in my Amazon wish list, they may change the price every day until I purchase it.

• Like 2

Thrak-

"See above. The listed price is not the price you pay. The gratuities definitely are added on top of the menu price. Where did you get the idea that wasn't the case? "

This is where, from on board reservations:

Packages are not added to your booking until they are paid for. Prices include gratuity.

Various beverages included in the All Inclusive Beverage Package

Premier Beverage Package$70.79 per person, per day

Enjoy a wide range of drinks for $59.99 per day plus a 18% gratuity. The Premier Beverage Package includes any individual beverage item such as fountain soda, bottled water, cocktails, spirits, wine by the glass, beers, coffee and tea, up to $12 (retail value). A 25% discount is also offered on all bottles of wine when purchased in bars, dining room or specialty restaurants.

It clearly states on the first line, second sentence. You can not buy the package for $59.99 per day and then add a grat, it's inclusive at $70.79 per day.

• Haha 1

Just looked at the "Terms and Conditions" 2019 of the PBP and it still shows the $59.99 with 15%, different than the new advertising of PBP which has the new price + gratuity...….looks like someone needs to update terms and conditions or maybe you can call and argue with what's written between the pages, just an observation. I was logged into one of my booked cruises.

All this means for me is that, instead of tipping the individual bar server $1-$2 for each drink on top of my auto gratuity, I just won't add that extra tip. It sucks because it means that individual (good) bar staff are punished while mediocre staff still get to share the increased auto gratuity. Oh well.....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

It is without doubt because if you do not make a stand they will keep on increasing prices and making extortionate profits and paying themselves at senior executive positions enormous pay while they expect us to pay staff wages with our tips. 

Do you pay many bills that DIDN"T go up 3% this year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firecrewcapt said:

Just looked at the "Terms and Conditions" 2019 of the PBP and it still shows the $59.99 with 15%, different than the new advertising of PBP which has the new price + gratuity...….looks like someone needs to update terms and conditions or maybe you can call and argue with what's written between the pages, just an observation. I was logged into one of my booked cruises.

LOVE your avatar! 

Call them. I think you can make a compelling argument. 

11 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

LOVE your avatar! 

Call them. I think you can make a compelling argument. 

Not very compelling. They reserve the right to change them at any time without notice. The terms on the day you sail are binding

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

Not very compelling. They reserve the right to change them at any time without notice. The terms on the day you sail are binding

Try it and let us know. I'll bet you are successful in getting the "15%" pricing. 

Don't get a whole heck of a lot in this world unless you ask for it. 

Edited by Ep010835

I’d make it completely optional. But I would make people request the reduction in tips from the bartender. Before getting their drink.

“ I’d like a 15% tip drink please, sir”

”You betcha “

Edited by bemis12
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, debi2g said:

Looks like this is true. I just checked prices in the gifts category and the bar package is now priced at $70.79 per day and soda package is $8.26 per day. 

Its called "keeping up with the Jones's" .  They have found a way to relieve you of a little more cash.

• Like 1

This entire tipping/gratuity thing is stupid.  Yes, I will pay the auto gratuity that is added to my fare but that is all.  There is no way I would tip at the bar or anywhere else - we simply don't do that where I come from.  Just tell me the price of something and I'll pay... don't then add taxes or gratuities or whatever else, it's nuts.  

Sorry I had to rant - I just don't understand this entire tipping thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Hosing the hard-working crew in protest?  Seriously?

I agree, cabin stewards and waiters have nothing to do with the increase in drink gratuities.  It's just another way for Princess to cash in on those who drink.  Another thing Princess took away was the Happy Hour.  This is their big chance to bring it back now that they raised the gratuities on drinks.

My personalizes did not have anything except the water in it last night.  I think I will hop over and prepay my water right now! Does anyone think the auto-gratuity will change before May?

1 hour ago, CynCyn said:

My personalizes did not have anything except the water in it last night.  I think I will hop over and prepay my water right now! Does anyone think the auto-gratuity will change before May?

Instead of increasing the discretionary grats (that's what Princess calls them), Princess should keep it at its current level and rebrand the daily fee as a Hotel Svc Charge, not unlike some high-end resorts.

But, to answef your question ... it's anybody's guess what changes Princess plans.

Edited by pms4104

5 hours ago, EDDY0827 said:

Thrak-

"See above. The listed price is not the price you pay. The gratuities definitely are added on top of the menu price. Where did you get the idea that wasn't the case? "

Packages are not added to your booking until they are paid for. Prices include gratuity.

Enjoy a wide range of drinks for $59.99 per day plus a 18% gratuity. The Premier Beverage Package includes any individual beverage item such as fountain soda, bottled water, cocktails, spirits, wine by the glass, beers, coffee and tea, up to $12 (retail value). A 25% discount is also offered on all bottles of wine when purchased in bars, dining room or specialty restaurants.

It clearly states on the first line, second sentence. You can not buy the package for $59.99 per day and then add a grat, it's inclusive at $70.79 per day.

Yes, the gratuity is included if you purchase the package. If you purchase your own drinks individually - which is what the vast majority of cruisers do - you pay the gratuity on top of the price on the drink menu. That's why every time I ordered a 24k Margarita - listed on the menu at $9.75 - I was charged $11.21. $9.75 + 15% = $11.21. Of course, now that they have increased the gratuity to 18%, that same drink listed at $9.75 will be charged at $11.50.

Edited by Thrak

5 hours ago, EDDY0827 said:

Thrak-

Actually you are both right.

You are referring to buying the PBP where gratuities are included and Thrak was referring to purchasing drinks individually where the price that is listed does not include gratuities and they will be added to the cost of the drink.

7 hours ago, Doug R. said:

That will show them, hurt the service staff who have nothing to do with the drink gratuity increase.

I was going to say the same thing.  People always try to find a way to give the service staff the shaft and then justify it by blaming some other ship price increases.

DON

4 hours ago, Scottygirl1 said:

This entire tipping/gratuity thing is stupid.  Yes, I will pay the auto gratuity that is added to my fare but that is all.  There is no way I would tip at the bar or anywhere else - we simply don't do that where I come from.  Just tell me the price of something and I'll pay... don't then add taxes or gratuities or whatever else, it's nuts.  

I live in California - land of over tipping - and I agree with you. Give me a price to pay and let that be the end of things. I also don't like having to haggle for a price in some countries.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 8:05 AM, land lover said:

Just joining some other cruise lines that have been 18% for a few years, it was bound to happened.

yep, The mainstream lines for other companies rcl and nclh went to 18% a while ago. Princess just adapting to their competition.

Just doing a crude calculation on this.  If you bought 5 x $8 drinks per day per person (recognising some don't buy any and others buy more expensive drinks.  That 18% gratuity equates to $7.20 per day.  $7.20 x 2000 passengers = $14,400  PER DAY.  This then equates to $100,800 for a 7 day cruise!  Are we seriously expected to believe that all this money goes to the bar staff?  Again, I reduced the number of passengers just to try to give some balance.  I don't know how many bar staff are on board.  They all give outstanding service.  But seriously..............................................

14 hours ago, Doug R. said:

That will show them, hurt the service staff who have nothing to do with the drink gratuity increase.

14 hours ago, jwattle said:

Why would you want to punish the line staff? That won't show princess anything, , only take away from those who make the least. It does nothing to the executives who these decisions.

If it is anything like P&O in the UK which I should imagine is standard practice with regards to all staff employed by Carnival plc the staff are guaranteed a minimum wage written into the contract which if it isnt met the shortfall will be made up by the cruise company so it does hurt Princess. Also the biggest scandal admitted by Princess is that all gratuities are pooled and shared across the fleet so some of my gratuities will be paid to staff I have never seen and from other ships that I have never been on. That cannot be right.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Would you please elaborate? 

Use of the word “any” is kinda dicey. 

In the land restaurants I patronize, I choose the tip amount. 

Interested to know what you mean by “more in some places”. 

I know you all have been to restaurants that add gratuity on check.

16 hours ago, Scottygirl1 said:

The idea of tipping someone for their service is a way to reward those who are more conscientious workers and do a better job at serving the customer.  If the tip is already included, what is the incentive to work hard?  I understand that in some cultures people work hard because they have pride in what they do.  Unfortunately, many in the American culture tend to do only what they need to do to get by.  Those are the folks that get little to no tip.  The ones that work with enthusiasm to please the customer, they get bigger tips...that is the concept!!  Can't say it always works that way...some people don't tip anyone very much regardless of service and others tip everyone the same.  But, that is the general rule of thumb and works quite nicely when properly used.

• Like 1