Are passengers really SELLING straws on NCL ships???

takeadip

Critics,

Our neighbor just got off an NCL ship out of NYC and said during the cruise she saw (2) different passengers with a Large cup hanging from their neck full of straws with a sticker that read "Straws $1 Each"

She said the (2) passengers selling the straws would loiter around the bar/ lounge areas and walk through the buffet...

Could this really be happening ? or is my neighbor completely joking?

ill be sailing out of NYC in May so i guess we will see...

* sidenote...$1 seems pretty good for a straw when you need on to get to the bottom of that daqueri.

Best,

Mark 

• Haha 1

If they are doing it, they really need to read the terms and conditions of the passenger contract.  

because it would be sad if they were asked to leave the ship for a few bucks.

(f) No Soliciting. The Guest shall not solicit other Guests, the Carrier's employees, personnel or agents during the voyage with respect to any professional, commercial, or business activity, whether for profit or otherwise, without the prior written consent of the Carrier.

I would find this hard to believe but who knows.

To the OP, you are asking us if your neighbor is joking. Its your job to ask your neighbor that :classic_wink:

No one has ever reported such an incident before.  I bet most travelers don't even know plastic straws are not on the ship until they are on the ship.

13 minutes ago, allyfrizzle said:

When did they ban straws? My last cruise was Feb 2018 and we were still given straws then.

I think it was around begining of January, 2019... I don't use them so not really sure.  On some ships they offer paper straws but also recommend that you buy and use the non-disposable "stainless steel" straws or opt for the paper straws. 

I'm sure you know that plastic straws are very dangerous to marine life and this is a way of decreasing dangerous incidents to our wonderful marine life. 

Cheers.... drinking wine or beer means you don't need a straw. 😉 🍺 🥂

• Like 2

Paper straws have been around for a lot longer than plastic straws.  Plastic straws can have devastating effects on marine life.  I still have a box of plastic straws in my cupboard left over from when I was struggling to drink with 2 broken arms.  I feel guilty just thinking it is there.  (trip to the recycle depot is needed). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hawkman402 said:

What do they do for frozen drinks like a Mudslide?

This past November on the Breakaway they did not give out straws. I spilled several mudslides - almost impossible to drink a mudslide without a straw without it whooshing out and covering your chin and chest. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

We bought a pack of 200 on Amazon. My wife carried them around with her. We had 6 different colors for about $10.

We gave them out to people who asked where we got a straw. Even though we did joke about selling them for a quarter.

I bought a box of 100 for 99¢ at Wal Mart.

• Like 1

On our cruise on the Escape out of NY May 2018 there were no straws. The waiter told me that starting with our cruise they were getting rid of them.  Needless to say, our friend that was coming with us got a text to bring some onboard.

The paper straws are heavy and work well as long as you drink fast!  We took straws with us just in case on our last cruise. The ship hadn't replenished their supply on embarkation day. Everyone was asking for straws and pointing at us. We joked we could make money on them!

on our last cruise some bars had paper straws and some did not - and one of the bars started cutting them in half as they were getting low - I got a large package of straws at the dollar store and gave some to my friends that were cruising with us. Frozen drinks do need a straw