Is there a forward viewing area over the bridge on Royal?

dcrow72

thanks.  I didn't think so but thought I would ask to be sure.  Someone always has the answers on here!   Forgot about that amazing M108 cabin!  Should've gone for it.  darn.  Next time!

• Like 1

This lack of a forward observation area on the Royal Class ships prevented me from considering booking her for my Alaska cruise this Summer.  It'll be interesting to learn the reactions of those who do sail her this Summer as to their opinions about being able to access adequate exterior observation areas when the ship is sailing in scenic waters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Another cruiseline that does sail AK has a deck with forward views called "The Observation Lounge".

Something to consider as an option.

IMG_2147.jpg

Celebrity Solstice?  Reminds me of such a pleasant venue on Celebrity Eclipse.  Also, all Holland America Line ships in Alaska service have a Crow's Nest Lounge above the Bridge that offer excellent interior viewing opportunities.

The lack of good observation areas on the Royal and Regal is a disappointment for us.  Our Alaska cruise was on the Coral which has several great observation areas (both fore and aft) and a complete promenade deck.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Sanctuary has wonderful views but, of course, costs extra.

Myself and I assume many others, want an unobstructed and clear view in scenic areas.

The Sanctuary view is through blue colored windows, so you do not see the natural colors of the scenery if you observe from there.

The Royal class is a big disappointment for those who like forward looking unobstructed views.

17 minutes ago, caribill said:

Myself and I assume many others, want an unobstructed and clear view in scenic areas.

The Sanctuary view is through blue colored windows, so you do not see the natural colors of the scenery if you observe from there.

The Royal class is a big disappointment for those who like forward looking unobstructed views.

I don't recall the glass being significantly blue-tinted but it probably was tinted slightly to reduce glare. Anyway there is a small horizontal gap between the window panes which is useful for taking photos through. We certainly enjoyed being up in the Sanctuary on our Med cruise when we passed Stromboli then entered the Messina Strait. Not just great views but a comfortable sun lounger to relax on. :classic_biggrin: However I do understand what you mean. The Royal class ships have a lot of short-comings.

The Royal and Regal are so right in many ways, but so wrong in so many others. With a bit of design thought Princess could have designed a far better ship. As I said from day 1, Royal class good on the inside bad on the out

I wouldn't even say the Royal class ships were good on the inside.

- The Wheelhouse Bar has been reduced to a mere shadow of itself, and is adjacent to the Crown Grill so noise from the bar flows through the restaurant.

- The cabins are no bigger than the other classes and the balconies are ridiculously small.

- Crooners is OK on Royal and Regal but it's original location is a restaurant on Majestic, and the replacement Crooners, on deck 6, just doesn't work, plus they put TV screens all over the place so it's part Crooners part sports bar.

- The theatre is far too small for the number of passengers those ships carry so you have to get there 45-60 minutes before the show starts to get a decent seat.

- The Vista Lounges no longer have their own bar.

- The Retreat Pool, just outside the Sanctuary, is badly designed as a pool with wide steps going down the middle of one end. The pool is surprisingly deep so most people migrate to the edges leaving very little space for anyone doing laps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Retreat Pool, just outside the Sanctuary, is badly designed as a pool with wide steps going down the middle of one end. The pool is surprisingly deep so most people migrate to the edges leaving very little space for anyone doing laps.

I have no problem swimming laps in the Retreat pool. I just do it in the morning or late day when the pool is less crowded. The walk in stairs make the pool usable for those that would have problems with the swim ladders..

As far as depth, all Princess pools I have been in are deep for me at 5'4. People usually hang  on the sides.

This is common on all Princess ships.

18 hours ago, AF-1 said:

So is the new Sky Princess coming out this October have any design changes that will make it better than Regal or Royal?

Depends if you think the following is better:

a) The retreat pool area is now about half the size it used to be on other Royal class ships and has no view of the ocean since cabins now line both sides of retreat pool area. (Pool is the same size, just the entire area is smaller with less seating on the sides.)

b) LaMer French restaurant is still where Crooners used to be

c) Sabatini's is back instead of the Harmony Chinese Restarant on the Majestic

17 hours ago, Mom33 said:

I have no problem swimming laps in the Retreat pool. I just do it in the morning or late day when the pool is less crowded. The walk in stairs make the pool usable for those that would have problems with the swim ladders..

As far as depth, all Princess pools I have been in are deep for me at 5'4. People usually hang  on the sides.

Unfortunately there are a lot of other people who like to swim laps when the pool is crowded so it becomes an issue, not only for those swimming the laps but for those hanging on the sides (especially when the lap swimmer is a splasher), or trying to get across to the side especially those who are poor swimmers and out of their depth.

I have no issue with walk in stairs, I can't handle swim ladders myself. I just have an issue with the position of them on the Royal class ships. If they had them coming in one side, as they did on Crystal Symphony, then that side could be for hangers and people who just want to float around, and the other side for swimmers.

I think the main issue with the depth of the Retreat pool is that it takes a lot of people by surprise. With some other Princess pools the depth is graduated and is usually waist deep at the end of the walk in stairs, sloping deeper at the other end. Again, it doesn't bother me as I float really well even when vertical but I often saw people struggling after stepping off that last step.

I love the Lotus Spa pools on the Grand Class ships, they are very user-friendly pools and, of course, there are the aft pools as well on those ships. Princess took a backward step with pools on the Royal Class ships unfortunately.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Depends if you think the following is better:

a) The retreat pool area is now about half the size it used to be on other Royal class ships and has no view of the ocean since cabins now line both sides of retreat pool area. (Pool is the same size, just the entire area is smaller with less seating on the sides.)

b) LaMer French restaurant is still where Crooners used to be

c) Sabatini's is back instead of the Harmony Chinese Restarant on the Majestic

Thank you for your reply.  I don't hang out at pools; so for me not a big deal about size of pools. But, I can see where people who love to sit by pool and people watch this would be an let down.  Is there are Crooners bar still on the ship?   

Edited by AF-1

21 hours ago, Mom33 said:

Not on the older class ships like the Crown, Ruby & Emerald. Their lotus pool is made for people to just stand around getting cool.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:23 AM, caribill said:

I hate those blue colored windows that they have all over the ship!

The OP has stumbled on a major negative about many Princess ships.  There are no decent public viewing lounges or areas that give one a bow view (the Sanctuary on some ships does offer a view).  Go on many other cruise lines and there will always be a nice bar/lounge with a forward view.  But the "suits" and planners at Princess have apparently decided that cruisers do not care about having a bow view :(.

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

The OP has stumbled on a major negative about many Princess ships.  There are no decent public viewing lounges or areas that give one a bow view (the Sanctuary on some ships does offer a view).  Go on many other cruise lines and there will always be a nice bar/lounge with a forward view.  But the "suits" and planners at Princess have apparently decided that cruisers do not care about having a bow view :(.

Hank

This was our  complaint on Regal too....but we really liked the rest of the ship, and the staff was great.  I did find a few spots that I could still feel the wind in my hair like I have on the front of Celebrity ships!  We have decided it's not a deal breaker and have booked a 25 night TA on the Sky next year...can't wait!!!

enhance

This pic was taken from front of Emerald Princess in Tracy Arms Alaska.  But I got just as good pictures from both sides of the ship.  Not sure why people insist on being all the way forward. It is cold and windy up front.

• Like 1