rcl trying to do away with cruise critic meetings

Just off the Anthem and we had a nice size group and they raffled off a few items however I felt the event was primarily blah.. actually, I was not crazy about the complete lack of energy coming from the cruise director himself. I get the feeling that the cruisers are being taken advantage off from the higher levels. that being said, the crew on the whole are very hard working and we are sure to let them know personally

As a relative newbie to CC I've attended only a dozen or so M&M events.  Mostly looked like people trying to get a free give away.  No other structure or purpose.  I've stopped signing up.

CC is a for profit business.  Why should any cruise line tailor an event to any special interest group?  I'd rather they save the money and keep cruise fares low.   Like any other special interest group that get a venue and a mention in the cruise compass that's all M&M needs.  If attendees desire to make it something so be it.  

I have never been to an RCCL Meet & Mingle. My last 4 Royal trips have been less than 7 nights, so they don't schedule one.

However, I have organized 2 on NCL ships, and they were very well attended and quite social. 

Like Royal, NCL decides on the date and venue. Usually on the first sea day and the venue depends on how many the organizer reports will be attending. 

For both of the Meet & Greets that I organized, NCL provided beverages and continental breakfast type of snacks. They also have the Senior Staff from the ship attend, including the Captain, Food & Beverage Director, Hotel Director, and Cruise Director. On one ship, they even had the Chief Engineer attend. 

The Captain gives a short talk, usually about the ship and his career, then opens up for questions. They have always stayed until the last question was asked, and a couple of the directors even stayed after and BS'd with the group.

I do trivia, general NCL and ship specific, and give out prizes. Some I bring, and some NCL provides.

They have always been worth the time..

7 minutes ago, clean1owner said:

I have never been to an RCCL Meet & Mingle. My last 4 Royal trips have been less than 7 nights, so they don't schedule one.

However, I have organized 2 on NCL ships, and they were very well attended and quite social. 

Like Royal, NCL decides on the date and venue. Usually on the first sea day and the venue depends on how many the organizer reports will be attending. 

For both of the Meet & Greets that I organized, NCL provided beverages and continental breakfast type of snacks. They also have the Senior Staff from the ship attend, including the Captain, Food & Beverage Director, Hotel Director, and Cruise Director. On one ship, they even had the Chief Engineer attend. 

The Captain gives a short talk, usually about the ship and his career, then opens up for questions. They have always stayed until the last question was asked, and a couple of the directors even stayed after and BS'd with the group.

I do trivia, general NCL and ship specific, and give out prizes. Some I bring, and some NCL provides.

A lot of work but very satisfying. I found it frees up a lot of space in your luggage for the trip home. M&M events are even more fun on smaller ships.

I skipped our M&M because the Roll Call was a snooze fest.  90% of the posts were some guy posting a list of names and locations and a cryptic robotic message.  I can't imagine how boring that M&M would have been, with someone reading names and locations off a list in a monotone.  No thanks!  

I tried to attend a meeting for another cruise last summer and 6 people showed up.  I give up on cruise meet ups.  I am not interested in making friends on a cruise.  Haven't yet met anyone I would want to spend more than 15 minutes with.  

On 3/18/2019 at 8:52 PM, Iamcruzin said:

I have to agree. On other lines like Princess and Celebrity someone on the roll call organizes the event. Some of the leaders put a lot of work into organizing events like the slot pull, cabin crawls, meeting for lunch or dinner.

And most of the time not always the leaders have a suite and order tons of room service and free drink I think it was Majestic omg that was really a meet and great, it was really nice from him to organize all of that and pay for it 

11 hours ago, torpeedo said:

When you register for the Meet and Mingle on Cruise Critic you won't know when or where the meeting is.  When you board the ship, In your cabin you will have an invitation to attend the M&M and a name tag and tells you the date, location and time of the meeting

unless you upgrade your room 4 days before sailing and you keep receiving notes and advertisement from somebody else and you never get the invite happened to me on the Symphony 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, clean1owner said:

Interesting. Similar 20yrs ago Diamond was the Top Tier on Royal. We'd have a Formal get together with Captain,  Food & Beverage Director, Hotel Director, Cruise Director, Chief Engineer and also the Doctor. Back then at most would have 6-10 Diamonds on a popular new ship cruise. Was interesting talking one on one with the Officers in the closed off Crown Lounge served hot food and drinks...

Edited by ONECRUISER

The most awesome raffle prize I ever saw at a M&M was in December 2010 on Voyager of the Seas. The captain attended our meeting and offered two seats at his table for dinner for one of the prizes. That was back when they were doing the Diamonds in December and Diamond and up got double points (triple if you were in a JS or higher).

We got back yesterday --- and yes we won the big prize....  an RCI backpack, hat, water bottle, key chain, and bingo marker.  

My kids were thrilled they won.

But yeah it was just extra stuff.

last two cruises were more meaningful giveaways, but like so many of you, I go just for the activity and it's nice to have it

Our crew made us play ice breaker games to get to know one another.

It was fun  and we met several people who we wound up hanging out with throughout the cruise,  people we never talked to here on the board.

As long as the crew cares, I've always enjoyed the M&M.    when they put some energy into it, it's great!

• Like 2

Last roll call I participated in became 70 page life story about some ladies extended family that wasn't even on the cruise.  Every day for a year and a half updates about the dogs and out of the house kids.  It was weird.  Onboard they dominated the MM.  Last one I went to. 

10 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

unless you upgrade your room 4 days before sailing and you keep receiving notes and advertisement from somebody else and you never get the invite happened to me on the Symphony 

Huh??  Sorry you didn’t get your invitation but that rarely happens.  In my last 20 RCI cruises, I received my invitation to the M&M every time but once and in that one case, RCI didn’t distribute them to anyone.

I understand your point about perhaps getting less than before at the M&M parties.  But I don't understand the title of your thread at all.  Why do you think RCCL is trying to "do away with CC meetings"? No evidence of that.  I have found that RCCL does more at the M&M's than Celebrity does at the equivalent Connections party (Cookies and coffee, no raffle).  Maybe Cruise Critic should provide the funding and a consistent format of what is provided across the cruiselines.

10 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

since they always do it on day 2 by 11am 

You hit the nail right on the head there. It is always around that time and it is usually inconvenient  for  us. Have it in the afternoon at a bar and we can buy our own drinks. Of all the one I have attended, the Captain and crew have shown up only a couple times and that was years ago. At most we get 2 or three crew sign up. Also, it seems that only about 1/2 of the people that sign up for the MM actually show up.

I am thrilled when another guest brings goodies or hosts in their cabin - but that's not because of free stuff just because I sorely lack the hostess gene and am always impressed by those that do it so effortlessly!  I'd gladly contribute $$ to the cause too, I don't even need stuff, it's more I will never fail to be awed by gracious hosts. 

4 minutes ago, packercruising said:

You hit the nail right on the head there. It is always around that time and it is usually inconvenient  for  us. Have it in the afternoon at a bar and we can buy our own drinks. Of all the one I have attended, the Captain and crew have shown up only a couple times and that was years ago. At most we get 2 or three crew sign up. Also, it seems that only about 1/2 of the people that sign up for the MM actually show up.

Yep, for us it's the timing that just makes it feel more like work than fun.  I honestly can't recall one of ours though that made it feel worthwhile.  My kids though did always appreciate whatever RCCL knick knack they received, I remember that notepad with pen on a lanyard being a huge hit one time lol!