When did Carnival start charging a delivery fee

mafiadon

Bartender hands me a bottle of water or can of beer = That is worth 18% gratuity. Thank you for all of your hard work

Water or beer is brought up and placed in your room from the hull = 18%?! NICKLE AND DIMED TO DEATH!!!

• Like 1

I just watched a YouTube video about RC Something of the Seas. They charge 9.50 no matter what you order from room service.  It could be a "free" piece of cake, they'll charge you 9.50.  All cruise lines are charging for anything delivered to your stateroom.

4 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Bartender hands me a bottle of water or can of beer = That is worth 18% gratuity. Thank you for all of your hard work

Water or beer is brought up and placed in your room from the hull = 18%?! NICKLE AND DIMED TO DEATH!!!

Do you really think that delivery fee is a gratuity going toward whoever puts the fun shop purchase in your room? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

Do you really think that delivery fee is a gratuity going toward whoever puts the fun shop purchase in your room? 

Hotels with room service that charge a service charge and a delivery fee do not share the delivery fee with the person bringing the food to the room.

10 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Your automatic gratuities includes a portion going to alternative services. If this goes to waiters on the Lido as well as those working at the Guest Services Desk and  the entertainment social hosts, why would room service not be included in this tip pool? As an added FYI, I once had my assistant waiter from the MDR deliver room service to my room later that night.

Yes, many of the crew perform multiple jobs. Oftentimes, you'll see MDR wait staff serving on the Lido buffet line or in one of the Lido restaurants. This is often why some of those restaurants aren't open for dinner...because those who staff them are working in the MDR. This does not mean they get a cut of the tips as room service.

9 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

I normally don't cruise on Carnival and in fact, I  haven't been on a Carnival ship in approximately 7 years. You're more than welcome to do your own research but it's certainly split between Dining, Housekeeping, and Alternative Services. Perhaps you can start a post on the Carnival boards where you can seek further information should you prefer not doing research?

If this January was your first cruise in 37 years, well, a lot has changed since then and the attendant from room service is definitely receiving at least some portion of your automatic gratuity.

Even Heald will tell you:

You admittedly don't normally cruise Carnival, and haven't in 7 years, yet are here arguing Carnival policy with people who have cruised this line recently, and regularly. This topic has been discussed many, many times, including the posting of information that was made public by former Carnival employees. Room Service does not get a share of the automatic gratuities. The JH fb post you include as proof says nothing of the sort. "Alternative services" doesn't have to mean room service. As someone else said, JH himself has come out and said room service does get a share of the tips. The fb posts he made saying it have been re-posted in this very forum.

I'll never understand why people who don't cruise Carnival, or rarely ever cruise Carnival and haven't in years, come into the Carnival forum trying to inform and "educate" others on policies that have already been changed. And then do so rudely. Using your own words, " Perhaps you can start a post on the Carnival boards where you can seek further information should you prefer not doing research?" [emphasis added]

15 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Yes, many of the crew perform multiple jobs. Oftentimes, you'll see MDR wait staff serving on the Lido buffet line or in one of the Lido restaurants. This is often why some of those restaurants aren't open for dinner...because those who staff them are working in the MDR. This does not mean they get a cut of the tips as room service.

You admittedly don't normally cruise Carnival, and haven't in 7 years, yet are here arguing Carnival policy with people who have cruised this line recently, and regularly. This topic has been discussed many, many times, including the posting of information that was made public by former Carnival employees. Room Service does not get a share of the automatic gratuities. The JH fb post you include as proof says nothing of the sort. "Alternative services" doesn't have to mean room service. As someone else said, JH himself has come out and said room service does get a share of the tips. The fb posts he made saying it have been re-posted in this very forum.

I'll never understand why people who don't cruise Carnival, or rarely ever cruise Carnival and haven't in years, come into the Carnival forum trying to inform and "educate" others on policies that have already been changed. And then do so rudely. Using your own words, " Perhaps you can start a post on the Carnival boards where you can seek further information should you prefer not doing research?" [emphasis added]

Throughout any organization, it's always efficient and in the employer's best interest to cross-train their employees hence the reasoning every waiter in the dining room spends two days each week in the Lido restaurant as well as performing other duties. You'll see the dancers selling bingo tickets and various other associates taking on additional duties.

Although I've sailed on other cruise lines for the most part recently since my last Carnival cruise, I always tried to stay informed and remain updated with changes at Carnival. This is due to a past history of sailing this cruise line and always remaining optimistic regarding a future booking with them among other various reasons. I have enjoyed the majority of my past Carnival cruises and do have a booking with them later this year.

Unfortunately I was unable to locate a post from Heald where he stated the room service delivery attendants do not receive a portion of the gratuities. As you are knowledgeable regarding this post, can you please point me in the right direction to the post of where this was stated? It was suggested the previous poster began a new thread on this topic if she were so inclined as this thread was never meant to be about the automatic gratuities and was simply about the delivery fee from the Fun Shops. It naturally drifted off topic through conversation.

Edited by xDisconnections

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

Throughout any organization, it's always efficient and in the employer's best interest to cross-train their employees hence the reasoning every waiter in the dining room spends two days each week in the Lido restaurant as well as performing other duties. You'll see the dancers selling bingo tickets and various other associates taking on additional duties.

Although I've sailed on other cruise lines for the most part recently since my last Carnival cruise, I always tried to stay informed and remain updated with changes at Carnival. This is due to a past history of sailing this cruise line and always remaining optimistic regarding a future booking with them among other various reasons. I have enjoyed the majority of my past Carnival cruises and do have a booking with them later this year.

Unfortunately I was unable to locate a post from Heald where he stated the room service delivery attendants do not receive a portion of the gratuities. As you are knowledgeable regarding this post, can you please point me in the right direction to the post of where this was stated? It was suggested the previous poster began a new thread on this topic if she were so inclined as this thread was never meant to be about the automatic gratuities and was simply about the delivery fee from the Fun Shops. It naturally drifted off topic through conversation.

Do you think Carnival believes it's important to cross-train stage performers to sell bingo tickets? Not likely. What's more likely is that it's simply a staffing decision within the entertainment department based on availability. Musical show performers only do shows at night, so they're available when needed at other times. Also, it could quite possibly be a marketing ploy. Many passengers often look at the Playlist performers as onboard celebrities and some gravitate to them when they're seen off stage. I've seen this myself. And a few years ago, we also had a member of our party tell us that a few of them were sitting around the pool at Margarittaville and surrounded by passengers like movie stars. Having them sell tickets could mean selling more tickets.

There have been multiple posts of JH saying room service wasn't included in the tips. These weren't from JH himself, but other users here posting screen captures from his fb page. No, I cannot point you to them specifically. They'd pop up in discussions about tips, in random topics, and from random users. I, and others, are aware of these posts simply from being around and seeing them ourselves.

Threads veer off topic all the time. It happens and I don't think it's the end of the world because it can always be brought back on topic. You didn't just tell that person to create a new thread in order to keep this one on topic. You said, "where you can seek further information should you prefer not doing research." It was that last little dig, accusing them of not wanting to do their own research, that was the kicker. The fact was, your research was out of date and wrong, but it didn't stop you from vigorously defending it. Even when others pointed it out. I wouldn't have even responded if it wasn't for that last little shot at that person.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Do you think Carnival believes it's important to cross-train stage performers to sell bingo tickets? Not likely. What's more likely is that it's simply a staffing decision within the entertainment department based on availability. Musical show performers only do shows at night, so they're available when needed at other times. Also, it could quite possibly be a marketing ploy. Many passengers often look at the Playlist performers as onboard celebrities and some gravitate to them when they're seen off stage. I've seen this myself. And a few years ago, we also had a member of our party tell us that a few of them were sitting around the pool at Margarittaville and surrounded by passengers like movie stars. Having them sell tickets could mean selling more tickets.

There have been multiple posts of JH saying room service wasn't included in the tips. These weren't from JH himself, but other users here posting screen captures from his fb page. No, I cannot point you to them specifically. They'd pop up in discussions about tips, in random topics, and from random users. I, and others, are aware of these posts simply from being around and seeing them ourselves.

Threads veer off topic all the time. It happens and I don't think it's the end of the world because it can always be brought back on topic. You didn't just tell that person to create a new thread in order to keep this one on topic. You said, "where you can seek further information should you prefer not doing research." It was that last little dig, accusing them of not wanting to do their own research, that was the kicker. The fact was, your research was out of date and wrong, but it didn't stop you from vigorously defending it. Even when others pointed it out. I wouldn't have even responded if it wasn't for that last little shot at that person.

You are correct that my response to the previous poster may have been a little harsh and could have used better proofreading. For that, I do apologize to @CruiseGal999.

I have been unable to prove or disprove whether or not they are included in the automatic gratuities at this time but I'm sure this topic will come up through Heald's page over the next couple of days once somebody shares these posts with him. If my information was incorrect due to a change in standard operating procedures then I would extend my sincerest apologies to anyone who may have assumed it was accurate and thank you for bringing the relevant modifications to my attention.

• Like 1

We sailed last September and per usual ordered flowers, wine and water from the fun shops prior to boarding.  It was all like it had been with no delivery charge.  I tried to order the same for our upcoming May sailing and to my surprise a $18 delivery charge was added to my bill.  I canceled the order of course and consider the $18 delivery charge to be highway robbery.  We can live without the flowers.  Water is free out of the tap and all we need is our own container to take onshore.  We will live with our two free bottles of wine for this cruise.  End result is loss of a sale for Carnival.  

• Like 1

Did a mock order and the delivery fees are outrageous!

12 pk water delivery fee add $0.81

added Skyy Vodka Delivery fee jumps to $14.31

added Malibu Rum delivery fee jumps to $29.61

Quite the explotation of fees IMHO.  

1 hour ago, Acheavacci said:

Yeah, charging 18% of the cost of the item(s) being delivered, for every item, will be a rip-off sometimes considering there will be times when multiple items are brought to the cabin in one trip.

On 3/24/2019 at 10:36 AM, Butterbean1000 said:

I just watched a YouTube video about RC Something of the Seas. They charge 9.50 no matter what you order from room service.  It could be a "free" piece of cake, they'll charge you 9.50.  All cruise lines are charging for anything delivered to your stateroom.

It is actually $7.95 per room service order.

Just now, DramaQueen22 said:

You stated that they charge you $9.50 for your room service.  The charge itself is $7.95.  The  gratuity is 18% ($1.43) so your charge is $9.38.  

I'm just telling you what they said on the YouTube video.  He said it came to 9.50 with tip

On 3/25/2019 at 9:21 AM, Acheavacci said:

That looks like the 18% delivery fee that they advertise. Yeah it may be a bit outrageous but it's not like they are hiding it.

On 3/25/2019 at 6:33 AM, satxdiver said:

We sailed last September and per usual ordered flowers, wine and water from the fun shops prior to boarding.  It was all like it had been with no delivery charge.  I tried to order the same for our upcoming May sailing and to my surprise a $18 delivery charge was added to my bill.  I canceled the order of course and consider the $18 delivery charge to be highway robbery.  We can live without the flowers.  Water is free out of the tap and all we need is our own container to take onshore.  We will live with our two free bottles of wine for this cruise.  End result is loss of a sale for Carnival.  

Agreed. Totally ridiculous.

• Like 1