Does anyone else NOT like Trivia?

OCruisers

3 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Let’s face one fact that for a 7 day cruise, there is a lot of time to kill and trivia helps kill some of that time that you don’t want to spend eating or sitting in a deck chair.

I’m usually not one for trivia but when you get a decent crowd and a good leader, it can be fun to kill 30 minutes to an hour

PS -  never won myself

WOW!  Now you have opened a new can of worms.  One wonders what you would do on a 67 day cruise :).  

Hank

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I don’t think I could ever do a 67 day cruise.  That would be torture

There is a hard core large group of cruisers who have the time and means to take long cruises (we are in that group).  For us, the only "torture" is when we have to face the prospect of disembarkation.  It does not matter if its a 7 day cruise or a 70 day cruise.  Put us on a ship and its like we have arrived home.  If we were on a 70 day cruise to nowhere (that never stopped at a port) it would be pure heaven :).  There are often ports where DW and I have to drag each other off the ship because going ashore disrupts our normal day.  There are also plenty of port days when we simply stay aboard (it is the best time to be on many ships) and it is amazing how many others also stay aboard :).  And guess what?  On those days there are generally no activities and we all do quite fine.  

Hank

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

There is a hard core large group of cruisers who have the time and means to take long cruises (we are in that group).  For us, the only "torture" is when we have to face the prospect of disembarkation.  It does not matter if its a 7 day cruise or a 70 day cruise.  Put us on a ship and its like we have arrived home.  If we were on a 70 day cruise to nowhere (that never stopped at a port) it would be pure heaven :).  There are often ports where DW and I have to drag each other off the ship because going ashore disrupts our normal day.  There are also plenty of port days when we simply stay aboard (it is the best time to be on many ships) and it is amazing how many others also stay aboard :).  And guess what?  On those days there are generally no activities and we all do quite fine.  

Hank

Ain’t that the truth, haven’t gone over 35 yet, but want to.

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

A 67 day cruise is for my next life when I will be healthier.

• Like 1

Personal preferences are all over the place (I know, stating the obvious).  In my case, 14 days is about as long as I want to be on a cruise ship.  

I'll wave bon voyage from the pier as your folks leave on the more epic voyages!  

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

As always, likes and dislikes vary but I would find a 70 day cruise sheer torture since most long cruises have lots of sea days and I hate sea days.  Now if I could find a 70 day cruise with 50 port visits with a number of 2 or 3 day port stays, maybe only 5 or 10 sea days and no more than 2 sea days in a row, that might be a different story.

In answer to the trivia question, I occasionally are in the same room as where they play trivia and I am always amazed at the really silly questions that they ask and even more amazed that people know so many mundane useless facts.  So I guess that being a trivia observer for maybe 10 or 15 minutes one one way of killing some of the boring time between ports.

DON

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

As always, likes and dislikes vary but I would find a 70 day cruise sheer torture since most long cruises have lots of sea days and I hate sea days.  Now if I could find a 70 day cruise with 50 port visits with a number of 2 or 3 day port stays, maybe only 5 or 10 sea days and no more than 2 sea days in a row, that might be a different story.

In answer to the trivia question, I occasionally are in the same room as where they play trivia and I am always amazed at the really silly questions that they ask and even more amazed that people know so many mundane useless facts.  So I guess that being a trivia observer for maybe 10 or 15 minutes one one way of killing some of the boring time between ports.

DON

For what it's worth, many of us love what you call that "boring" time between ports.  Some folks go on a cruise because they want a ferry between ports.  Others go on cruises because they simply love being on ships and the ports are just a minor annoyance ::).  We are in the latter category.  When we went on a 62 day Grand Med cruise (HAL) we watched a lady literally freak out the 2nd day of the cruise while sitting with her DH having breakfast on the stern.  She explained that it had occurred to her that they would be on the ship for two months with over 20 sea days!  When I asked her if she was aware of the itinerary when she booked she explained that she never paid attention to itineraries.  Go figure.    We did see her around the ship sometimes participating in "Animal Toss" which was the CD's fun idea of an activity.

Hank

We loved our sea days. We did accidental trivia a couple of times. We were in the pub when it started. I did quite well for awhile. I had no idea who Stella McCartney designed for. I said “Walmart”. That was wrong.

The fish and chips and bread pudding was worth sitting through the crowd.

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

For what it's worth, many of us love what you call that "boring" time between ports.  Some folks go on a cruise because they want a ferry between ports.  Others go on cruises because they simply love being on ships and the ports are just a minor annoyance ::).  We are in the latter category.  When we went on a 62 day Grand Med cruise (HAL) we watched a lady literally freak out the 2nd day of the cruise while sitting with her DH having breakfast on the stern.  She explained that it had occurred to her that they would be on the ship for two months with over 20 sea days!  When I asked her if she was aware of the itinerary when she booked she explained that she never paid attention to itineraries.  Go figure.    We did see her around the ship sometimes participating in "Animal Toss" which was the CD's fun idea of an activity.

Hank

deleted

Edited by donaldsc

5 hours ago, Tonopah said:

We loved our sea days. We did accidental trivia a couple of times. We were in the pub when it started. I did quite well for awhile. I had no idea who Stella McCartney designed for. I said “Walmart”. That was wrong.

The fish and chips and bread pudding was worth sitting through the crowd.

😂😂 I think you’d be a hoot as a trivia partner.  You can be on my team any day!

Don't know.  

But in 20 plus cruises we have never attended trivia, games, contests of various descriptions, karoke,, or the dreaded bingo.  Despite our non attendance at these events each of our cruises, on numerous cruise lines, have been wonderful.

We  did go to an art auction once.  We were bored and DS, who knows is knowledgeable on the subject, told us to go for the entertainment value.  Had a few laughs at the auctioneer's claims and the obvious plants in the audience and left.  The ginger ale was a bit too sweet. 

We  have also, from time to time, been regaled by the sales folks in the high end on board jewelry stores with their exaggerated claims of value, savings, and quality.   Both were more entertaining than some of the comics we have seen on board.

Each to their own.

Edited by iancal