Does anyone else NOT like Trivia?

OCruisers

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

A vice president of a bank in my town and a retired English teacher are both of the opinion that Alaska is a country.

Plenty of idiots in the world, no matter their profession or education, some of the stupidest people I have ever met were University Professors, absolute geniuses in one small field, bat sh17 crazy outside that area of expertise

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Most people who play trivia on a cruise are age 40 and up.

This is quite true but your age doesn't necessarily make you better at Trivia.

My husband and I are well below 40 and find ourselves quite successful at trivia...both at home in 'pub quizzes' and on ships as it is just our 'thing'. If a quiz is very American based we will fail badly though. Not really bothered if we win or not as it's just a bit of fun.

A lot of posts mention mistakes in Geography within Trivia which seems to be a worldwide thing. We were doing one of those name a country,fruit,film etc beginning with a certain letter Trivia on our recent Aussie cruise and the amount of what our Australian comrades thought was a country was baffling. There were also some blinders on our Carnival Med cruise, Heres a few:

Genoa (was emblazoned on the ship)

Bali (we had just sailed away from here)

Florida

Cancun

Noumea

Rome

Edited by Velvetwater

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Recently on a HAL cruise, we had the trivia host telling us that the UK was a country.

😅😅

To be honest, all we are at the moment is a heaving ball of messed up $%&£.

Edited by Velvetwater

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Recently on a HAL cruise, we had the trivia host telling us that the UK was a country.

So here is the opening line from the Wikipedia posting on this issue:

"the United Kingdom, officially the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland but more commonly known as the UK[15] or Britain,[note 10] is a sovereign country lying off the north-western coast of the European mainland"

And if you want to look more deeply into the info the United Nations recognizes the  United Kingdom as a country.

Go figure.

Hank

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So here is the opening line from the Wikipedia posting on this issue:

"the United Kingdom, officially the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland but more commonly known as the UK[15] or Britain,[note 10] is a sovereign country lying off the north-western coast of the European mainland"

And if you want to look more deeply into the info the United Nations recognizes the  United Kingdom as a country.

Go figure.

Hank

Yeah, well what can I say, SMH.

I suppose if the UN says so it must be correct or if it is on the internet it must be right.😉

• Haha 1

A friend asked where we’re sailing to on our upcoming cruise. 

My response included Ireland and Northern Ireland. 

She told me that saying it like that was like saying someone is coming to the US and seeing Northern US and Southern US. 

Then she said “It’s all one country!”.

I asked another friend what she thought about Brexit. She said her Jewish grandmother made the best beef Brexit!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

She told me that saying it like that was like saying someone is coming to the US and seeing Northern US and Southern US. 

I asked another friend what she thought about Brexit. She said her Jewish grandmother made the best beef Brexit!

LOL,  I have never had one of those,😋

21 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

The son of one of my childhood friends was the QB for the jags in 1999. Can you name him ?

12 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The son of one of my childhood friends was the QB for the jags in 1999. Can you name him ?

Our best ever QB and first member of the Pride of the Jaguars is now head coach of a very good local private high school football team and star of a weekly one hour football TV show here in Jax. 

Can you name him?

1 minute ago, jagsfan said:

Our best ever QB and first member of the Pride of the Jaguars is now head coach of a very good local private high school football team and star of a weekly one hour football TV show here in Jax. 

Can you name him?

Can you name him?

Can you name him?

I am not really a football fan but I rooted for my friends son when he was QB for the Jags,Dolphins and Jets. His father  played HS basketball in Brooklyn.

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am not really a football fan but I rooted for my friends son when he was QB for the Jags,Dolphins and Jets. His father  played HS basketball in Brooklyn.

I was talking about Mark Brunell. 

David Garrard joined the team in ‘02, and    became the starting QB in ‘07. 

He was and is very popular here in Jax. 

David has Crohn’s disease and had a bowel resection which made a huge improvement in his health. 

After he retired, he came  back here and opened a gym in addition to raising his family. 

I wasn’t a football fan till we got a team. 

In fact, I was happy when my husband bought season tickets right away, but I took a big ok to the games in case I got bored. 

I got over that in a hurry!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 6:15 AM, jagsfan said:

I don’t enjoy trivia hosted by someone whose accent is so strong I can’t understand the questions,

I like how Princess does it - besides the host asking the question, it's up on the video screen, in case you didn't hear it correctly.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 7:30 PM, lenquixote66 said:

My nickname is Mr. Trivia. I seem to know what high school in Brooklyn that every famous person attended

Not a Brooklyn high school, but I know what high school and what is the graduation year for Jerry Seinfeld. I know because I saw his senior picture (Jerome Seinfeld with hair down to the middle of his back) in my DW's senior yearbook.

And if he is supposed to be so cool, how come he and the prettiest girl in his graduating class did not know each other?

On a Carnival ship I was on, they once had for 4 consecutive days a trivia contest with the males as one team and the females as the other. We, the males, won all 4 which we were told had never happened before. But they did not want that to happen so at one point the questioner cheated. We were asked what NFL team has a horsey name. I forgot whether we said the Broncos or the Colts, but whichever we said was ruled as wrong. Then the women said the other one, and got the points for it. I did later complain to the cruise director, and he agreed with me that our answer was also correct.

And on our plane back home, there was a woman and her son in front of us who had been on our cruise. He looked at me and said, "oh, you are the trivia guy". I was the one getting most of the questions right for the male team. I was only allowed to be captain and get a ship on a stick once; the other times someone else had to captain even though the team wanted me to be their captain. Once when I told the captain who had to give the answer that the answer was Simon Bolivar. He said he could not pronounce that, and I had to spell it out for him.

On 3/30/2019 at 6:28 AM, MicCanberra said:

Isn’t it?

What would you call the UK if not a “country” - using that term the way it is generally understood to mean? If you feel the notion of being composed of previous separate kingdoms and portions of previously separate lands make it something else, I suppose you would say the United States is not a country either.

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

On a Carnival ship I was on, they once had for 4 consecutive days a trivia contest with the males as one team and the females as the other. We, the males, won all 4 which we were told had never happened before. But they did not want that to happen so at one point the questioner cheated. We were asked what NFL team has a horsey name. I forgot whether we said the Broncos or the Colts, but whichever we said was ruled as wrong. Then the women said the other one, and got the points for it. I did later complain to the cruise director, and he agreed with me that our answer was also correct.

And on our plane back home, there was a woman and her son in front of us who had been on our cruise. He looked at me and said, "oh, you are the trivia guy". I was the one getting most of the questions right for the male team. I was only allowed to be captain and get a ship on a stick once; the other times someone else had to captain even though the team wanted me to be their captain. Once when I told the captain who had to give the answer that the answer was Simon Bolivar. He said he could not pronounce that, and I had to spell it out for him.

You complained to the cruise director about being cheated in a trivia game.  Seems like a bit of an over response to me.

DON

On 3/30/2019 at 9:30 AM, lenquixote66 said:

A vice president of a bank in my town and a retired English teacher are both of the opinion that Alaska is a country.

Plenty of idiots in the world, no matter their profession or education, some of the stupidest people I have ever met were University Professors, absolute geniuses in one small field, bat sh17 crazy outside that area of expertise

Just now, GUT2407 said:

I posted that days ago, wonder why or how it double posted so much later??