Does anyone else NOT like Trivia?

OCruisers

16 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Not fans, but if we are in a location and it starts we'll give it a chance.

Think many of us have done the same because it's the only thing offered even if we really don't enjoy trivia ... just something to do.  :classic_rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Trivia can be great or it can be terrible,it depends on your interests.

I love sports,entertainment and historical trivia.

We're big trivia fans. In fact, we are charter members of the "Friends of Johnny Tokyo."

A major factor in how enjoyable the experience can be is the Cruise Director.

IMO, Ray Carr is the King of Trivia - great topics, curve balls, season standings with prizes to the winning team, etc.

I think that it is totally dumb but then again I do not play it.  One thing that I have noted is that on subjects that I have knowledge of, the trivia answers are sometimes wrong.  Also, it is hilarious how seriously some teams take the game.  

DON

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We tried it once. The contestants were way too serious for my liking. You would have thought they were competing for the Super Bowl Trophy or the Stanley Cup rather than the cheap little trinket that was up for grabs.

• Like 4

Getting back to the original OP's topic.  Some people enjoy trivia and others do not.  I am one of those who do enjoy it.  I don't take it to serious and since I travel solo it helps let me meet different people aboard ship.  On my last cruise I played with some people from South Africa, Uraguay, Brazil, Canada, and other people from other areas of the US.  

To me if you don't enjoy it, then simply don't go to it.  If you do enjoy it, well then have fun, and remember you may win a key chain or even something just as exciting.

Edited by travelnap

Every time I think it is fun, and I might be knowledgeable on the topic, I am reminded why I dislike trivia. Everyone is way more knowledgeable in it than I am. Not my idea of a something I want to do on vacation either. To each their own.

21 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We're big trivia fans. In fact, we are charter members of the "Friends of Johnny Tokyo."

A major factor in how enjoyable the experience can be is the Cruise Director.

IMO, Ray Carr is the King of Trivia - great topics, curve balls, season standings with prizes to the winning team, etc.

My nickname is Mr. Trivia. I seem to know what high school in Brooklyn that every famous person attended

• Like 1

I used to enjoy playing trivia on cruiseships, but I stopped enjoying it when, instead of being "Guess what the correct answer is," it became "Guess what the trivia host thinks the correct answer is."

Did you know that Benjamin Franklin was President of the United States?  I did not know this, but a trivia host insisted that he was.

Did you know that Magellan was the first man to sail around the world?  I did not know this (and wikipedia doesn't know either, since it claims that he died in April of 1521, and some of his men finished the voyage in 1522), but the trivia host insisted that he was.

Do you think that the femur is in the thigh?  Well, that's what I thought, but a trivia host insisted that I was wrong.

Trivia hosts have given incorrect answers to questions about TV shows, when all they had to do was check out what wikipedia said, and they would have known the correct answers.

I once read a post here in which someone said that at trivia, they had to name the popular male singer who dangled his baby over a balcony.  The trivia host insisted that the correct answer was Donny Osmond, and he refused to listen to the people who said that he was wrong.

At one trivia contest, we were asked to name the insect with long legs that can walk on water.  The trivia host said that the answer was the antelope, but she said that she didn't believe it, and she said that we should count as correct any answer we had written down.

I don't know who comes up with crazy answers to questions (and kudos to the trivia host who didn't believe that the antelope is an insect), but I decided I don't like playing the game "Guess what the trivia host thinks the correct answer is."  And the trivia hosts who announce that the incorrect answers provided to them are a bunch of nonsense are few and far between.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My nickname is Mr. Trivia. I seem to know what high school in Brooklyn that every famous person attended

Hmmm, let's see what I can remember:

Woody Allen - Midwood (my alma mater)

Barbara Streisand - Erasmus

The Tokens (Lion Sleeps Tonight) - Lincoln

Lou Ferrigno - Brooklyn Tech

Chris Rock - Madison

Marv Alpert - Lincoln

Paul Sorvino - Lafayette

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I enjoy trivia. Jeopardy is must watch tv for us 

I don’t enjoy trivia hosted by someone whose accent is so strong I can’t understand the questions, and I really don’t enjoy it when some contestants look at pieces of paper for their answers. 

If I stop and play, it’s by myself just for the fun of it. 

If the trivia topic is quantum physics or mechanics, astronomy or alternative realities, I'm all in.

If the questions are about TV, movies, celebrities or non Grateful Dead music, I'm out.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I enjoy trivia, but I find the people on a cruise ship are too "in to it" for the cheap price. If I play, I just sit by myself and challenge myself.

Yeah, same here.  We enjoy the trivia, but stopped joining a "team" some time ago.  Too many folks go batship crazy over the contest.  

15 hours ago, Julie MacCoy said:

I don't know who comes up with crazy answers to questions

When I was on Anthem of the Seas last year they had a book of questions and answers they used for the trivia sessions.  We even saw it, and when one host picked a question another had used in another session (and were called out for it by those that were regulars), they pulled another from the book.

Edited by hallux