Global Entry Card

sleepy traveler

I  have had the Global Entry Card for several years and just found out that  the Fort Lauderdale cruise terminal

will now accept entry at designated lines in the terminal on returning cruises.  Port Everglades is only cruise terminal

where this is in effect at this time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sleepy traveler said:

I  have had the Global Entry Card for several years and just found out that  the Fort Lauderdale cruise terminal

will now accept entry at designated lines in the terminal on returning cruises.  Port Everglades is only cruise terminal

Yes, this has been true for several years now. But I believe Global Entry is used at Vancouver as you board US bound ships. It has also been occasionally reported at Miami. No GE machines at any ports.

33 minutes ago, sleepy traveler said:

The Global Entry line inside Port Everglades T26 yesterday morning was the one on the very right side of the six CBP booths. THe sign is kinda hard to spot initially until you get closer. It had maybe fifteen pax in it when we showed up. That was compared to perhaps a 100+ in the 'regular' slinky line although that line, the regular one, did move at a speedy pace. Still, nice to have a GEC line in Pt Everglades! 

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

One thing to note that on our last entry at T26 last month, there was someone at the head of the GE line checking each passenger for the physical GE card.  So have it ready! 

Also in our case there were maybe three couples in front of us in the GE line and well over 100 in the regular line, so will worth it.

7 minutes ago, sfocruiser said:

One thing to note that on our last entry at T26 last month, there was someone at the head of the GE line checking each passenger for the physical GE card.  So have it ready! 

The same thing for T19 in February. The CBP officers only wanted to see our passports, so it's left to the terminal employees to ensure that you aren't jumping the longer line by asking for your card. 

The sign at the entry to the GE line also indicated that it could be used by those with Mobile Passport, which we also have, but the CBP officer said that they weren't set up for it, even though we've used it at Port Everglades in the past. He seemed quite dubious about the sign.

The GE card has been a real 'lifesaver' for us thus far (aka, making a 45 minute  connection with baggage & immigration) regarding international arrivals for further domestic connecting flights. And it also makes port arrivals so much easier (versus standing in a line) IMHO thus far. I guess it's just follow the arrows, no?

We have the card (& any other visa hard copies needed, ETA's, proof of vaccination's & such) attached to our passports (bundled separately & easily removed via a simple office clip & rubber band) for travel (cruises, airline travel, foreign land adventures, etc.) purposes

Enjoy.

Be well & Bon Voyage!

Bob

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Pardon my ignorance but it’s only for return to US, correct? Or is there some benefits overseas?

Global Entry is primarily for entry into the US. But the "Known Traveler" system is expanding, and little perks here and there are being reported. Faster entry in other countries. Faster security lines in other countries. You have to watch for the "Known Traveler" signs, or similar.

18 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Global Entry is primarily for entry into the US. But the "Known Traveler" system is expanding, and little perks here and there are being reported. Faster entry in other countries. Faster security lines in other countries. You have to watch for the "Known Traveler" signs, or similar.

When we recently returned from the Maasdam's SE Asia cruise, arriving  by air at Vancouver from Singapore, we were able to use our Global Entry (Nexus) card to bypass all the lines.  Another flight had arrived a few minutes prior to ours, meaning approx. 250 people were in line at customs and immigration; we were able to walk past them to the kiosks, answer a few brief questions and make our way to the luggage carousels. 

Smooth Sailing🙂🙂🙂

9 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

When we recently returned from the Maasdam's SE Asia cruise, arriving  by air at Vancouver from Singapore, we were able to use our Global Entry (Nexus) card to bypass all the lines.  Another flight had arrived a few minutes prior to ours, meaning approx. 250 people were in line at customs and immigration; we were able to walk past them to the kiosks, answer a few brief questions and make our way to the luggage carousels. 

Smooth Sailing🙂🙂🙂

That's because you have the Nexus add on. Not everyone does...we don't. There are a couple of add ons people can get.

• Like 2

We both have Global Entry and love the program and benefits.  I initially got GE because I actually wanted TSA PreCheck and at the time I wanted to enroll there was no PreCheck enrollment office in town and the closest was 100 miles away.   Considering it  was only $15 more for Global Entry, which has PreCheck as an additional benefit, I went that route because the gas for a 200 mile round trip would have cost me more.   Mrs K had PreCheck free through being an Army civil servant but not GE but once she understood the program she enrolled.   Six plus reentries into the US and GE has more than paid for itself.    

If you sign up for united airlines explorer credit card not only do you get 40 k mileage plus miles but also a free $100 credit for a global entry card along with a few other perks.  A good deal any way you look at it.

In January, coming off the Volendam, it took my DW and I "maybe" two minutes to get through customs with the GE card.  From there we caught a cab to the FLL airport, rented a car we had reserved there, and drove back to the terminal, where we still had to wait for my sister (who we left at the end of the main line) for about 15 minutes...

Heck YES it's worth it!

(But as others have said you HAVE TO HAVE the physical GE card with you (You know, the one that they tell you that you would "never have to carry on your person" 😎 )

28 minutes ago, FredT said:

(But as others have said you HAVE TO HAVE the physical GE card with you (You know, the one that they tell you that you would "never have to carry on your person" 😎 )

Even at airports you frequently run into what I call “line guards” who work for the airport who ask to see your GE card.  I guess their job is supposedly to keep people moving and into the right line.   Some can be quite insistent so we’ve gotten into having it handy.

1 hour ago, FredT said:

But as others have said you HAVE TO HAVE the physical GE card with you (You know, the one that they tell you that you would "never have to carry on your person" 😎

From a CBP point of view, that's quite true. Unfortunately, they are only interested in you once you reach their booth and don't care what line you waited in. Consequently, it's left to the (air)(cruise)port staff to police the lines. It would be nice if, in addition to a card, you were given a sticker that could be placed in your passport and could be shown to port staff instead of the card.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fouremco said:

From a CBP point of view, that's quite true. Unfortunately, they are only interested in you once you reach their booth and don't care what line you waited in. Consequently, it's left to the (air)(cruise)port staff to police the lines. It would be nice if, in addition to a card, you were given a sticker that could be placed in your passport and could be shown to port staff instead of the card.

Interestingly you once actually got a sticker that when on your passport but they did away with those in favor of the card.   When the card first came out, you got one when you enrolled or renewed, CBP said you could now use it as valid ID for TSA Security Checkpoints.   Somehow even though listed on TSA’s website as acceptable ID that information didn’t filter down to all TSA officers.   The first time I tried a TSA officer said “That’s not good ID.  We don’t recognize ID issued by foreign government.”  🤔😀  I guess I can’t blame him as the card itself has very little information on it but they  have subsequently been educated and it can be used at airport checkpoints now.   

Fort Lauderdale does ask to see your Global Entry cards.  When I got my card two years ago, I was told the card was only valid for use coming across the Canada/US and Mexico/US borders.  I do have Global Entry electronically in my passport, but because I could not produce the card, I was sent into the regular line!  This is not right and should be addressed with the port staff.  I actually wrote the GOES people about this!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, goofyliz said:

Fort Lauderdale does ask to see your Global Entry cards.  When I got my card two years ago, I was told the card was only valid for use coming across the Canada/US and Mexico/US borders.  I do have Global Entry electronically in my passport, but because I could not produce the card, I was sent into the regular line!  This is not right and should be addressed with the port staff.  I actually wrote the GOES people about this!

How would you propose that the port staff determine who has GE if they don't bring their card along?

BTW, like similar initiatives, the GE program evolves over time. It's good to keep abreast of changes and not rely on what you might have been told a few years ago.

1 hour ago, goofyliz said:

Fort Lauderdale does ask to see your Global Entry cards. 

Well, that was not the case for us in November when we disembarked there from the Celebrity Silhouette.  We always travel with our GE cards, but we were not asked to show them when we entered the GE line at the pier.   I guess it really depends on the security staff, though I agree with others that if you have GE, you should travel with your card.

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Feb in FLL, T26, I filled out Mobile Passport and was allowed into the same line as GE. I was second in line and finished CBP in less than 5 minute. Very long line for others.

Out of curiosity, did the CBP officer scan your Mobile Passport, or did you just use it to get into the GE line? As I noted in post # 5, when we disembarked at T19 in February, the CBP officer wanted nothing to do with it and said that they weren't set up for it. Perhaps it's a different story for different terminals, as I know I've used it at Port Everglades previously, although I don't recall at which terminals.