New pinnacle menu?

DoggyDaddy

What are the rules re ordering a second appetiser in PG? I know you can in MDR, (and I’m aware there’s a trial on some ships for $10 for a second main course), but am not sure about PG rules / norm.

I’m sailing Nieuw Statendam in a few weeks and I have a favourite appetiser but there’s another I’d like to try too. I couldn’t eat 2 main dishes but could coax my tummy into accommodating 2 appetisers, lol. 😂

The charge for a second main course in PG was on the menu on Nieuw Amsterdam last May, except I think it might have been $10.

1 minute ago, Bretty said:

What are the rules re ordering a second appetiser in PG? I know you can in MDR, (and I’m aware there’s a trial on some ships for $10 for a second main course), but am not sure about PG rules / norm.

I’m sailing Nieuw Statendam in a few weeks and I have a favourite appetiser but there’s another I’d like to try too. I couldn’t eat 2 main dishes but could coax my tummy into accommodating 2 appetisers, lol. 😂

The charge for a second main course in PG was on the menu on Nieuw Amsterdam last May, except I think it might have been $10.

All the apps, sides, and desserts you want

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Thank you *Miss G* for posting pictures of the new menu.  I also had gotten that error message when I clicked on your original link.

Will miss the chocolate volcano cake.

I will miss the raspberry cheesecake.  😭

7 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Does anyone know why the big jump in caviar price?   It used to be $45 but on the new menu it's $70!    

I usually splurge for this once a cruise, but that was a steep jump in price.

I’m pretty sure the caviar has been $70 for a while but perhaps @POA1 will know for sure.

1 hour ago, GRACECRUISE said:

Lunch menu was the same. 

We did not have it but people were raving about the salmon pastrami.

Yum!!  So glad to hear good feedback   This was on my must-try list!   😋

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I will miss the raspberry cheesecake.  😭

I’m pretty sure the caviar has been $70 for a while but perhaps @POA1 will know for sure.

It's been $70 since at least 2016. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bretty said:

Nieuw Amsterdam update from this recent review:

2 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We paid $45 for the Caviar on the Westerdam in 2016.

We were on the Eurodam in December 2016 and it was $70. It's in my Live From thread. IIRC, I said that I never should have posted about what a great deal it was in 2014.  Regardless, $70 for an ounce of Osetra with all the accouterments is still a pretty good deal. Caviar isn't exactly something everyone goes for, and you don't have to buy it if you don't want to. 

55 minutes ago, POA1 said:

We were on the Eurodam in December 2016 and it was $70. It's in my Live From thread. IIRC, I said that I never should have posted about what a great deal it was in 2014.  Regardless, $70 for an ounce of Osetra with all the accouterments is still a pretty good deal. Caviar isn't exactly something everyone goes for, and you don't have to buy it if you don't want to. 

Oh, I'm splurging for it......at least once :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, cruzin4us said:

Oh, I'm splurging for it......at least once :classic_biggrin:

Ask for extra blinis. I wound up a little short on them. My wife did not though. She's a more skillful caviar stacker than I am. 

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Our Westerdam cruise was in March/April.  They must have raised the price after that.

5 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Our Westerdam cruise was in March/April.  They must have raised the price after that.

Probably. I was surprised by the price jump back then, but it was and still is less than you'll find almost anywhere, particularly in a restaurant. 

22 hours ago, Bretty said:

9What are the rules re ordering a second appetiser in PG? I know you can in MDR, (and I’m aware there’s a trial on some ships for $10 for a second main course), but am not sure about PG rules / norm.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam in March 2019, the upcharge for a second entrée in the PG was $15.00. That was on the new menu.

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN

10 hours ago, POA1 said:

Ask for extra blinis. I wound up a little short on them. My wife did not though. She's a more skillful caviar stacker than I am. 

I'm a bad stacker too :classic_huh:   Only 3 more days and I'll be sitting down in PG with my caviar!!!

• Like 1

On April 4, 2019 at 6:03 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

As much as I love bacon, I don't think I would care for this version.

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I like bacon too.  But, as a First Course?  This presentation is ostentatious.   

The offering of the bacon as a starter and the attendant presentation are very much part of the Hipster/curated/craft food trends. Go to any trendy urban craft food pub/restaurant and you'd pay a good $10-15 (or more) for this starter........

There are many other items I'd rather see on the menu over this, but HAL seems to be trying to find a way to reach the younger end of Gen-X (passengers in their 40s to early 50s) who live in more hip, trendy, urban areas, and the new Pinnacle Grill menu in my opinion is very much in line with that goal.