Refuse to get off the Princess Ship!!!

Notonboard

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have been traveling to the Caribbean for over forty years.  It not that we can't find something to do (we have favorite beaches on most of the islands) but rather that the ship is actually nicer then going ashore.  We love when a ship is empty of most passengers and quiet.  One extra advantage to MSCs Yacht Club is that the regular restaurant is open for lunch on port days.  On the ship we get a wonderful lunch and all of our drinks are covered.  On Princess we can get a comfy deck chair anywhere with no hassles, and it is hard to justify going ashore where things are more crowded.  There will usually be at least 100 others who stay aboard.  Most of us are older and cruise those waters for the ship and weather more then the ports.

When in your part of the world we would be off the ship at every port.

Hank

That seems it is more a choice of what you would rather do than refuse to get off.

On 4/4/2019 at 8:42 PM, Notonboard said:

Refuse to get off the Princess Ship!!!

Your sensational title for a run-of-the-mill subject has brought this thread a high view-count - are you by any chance a newspaper sub-editor ? :classic_biggrin:

I can think of a couple of ports, La Guaira (Venezuela) and Colon (Panama), where I'd advise folk who aren't on an excursion not to wander far from the ship because they're dangerous :classic_ohmy: (and this from a happy-go-lucky cruiser).

But apart from those rare exceptions we always go ashore. We try to avoid repeating ports too often, but for ports that we've visited a few times we'll find a bar and sit behind a couple of long cold beers to people-watch or chat to locals.

And browse the internet. The bonus is no excessive drinks prices and no excessive wifi charges.

JB :classic_wink:

The answer to this question depends on the type of cruiser you are.  If you cruise for the joys of shipboard life and don't care where you go then you might never get off.  If you cruise to visit specific destinations and accept the ship as the most acceptable means to get there then you always get off. If you are an anxious traveler who needs the infrastructure and security of a cruise ship then you will get off only if you believe it is safe.  

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, marco said:

Not "refused", but......we've taken a Caribbean winter cruise every year for the past 40 yrs and we've been to most islands many, many times.  The last couple of years, we didn't get off anywhere.  A 10-12 day and/or 2 BTB  Caribbean cruises in the winter is FAR LESS $$$$ than flying to any island and staying for that length of time. For us, the ship (any line, not just Princess)  IS the destination, and the best days are port days when most everyone else is off the ship!

Glad somebody took the time to put some logic to the question.  I was wondering if some folks were running out of places to visit.  

And just because you’ve been to say a certain island beach 50 times, that beach is probably better than the one close to home just to relax.

14 hours ago, Notonboard said:

What about safety? 

What about safety?  Your opaque reference to this issue makes it very difficult to formulate an intelligent reply.

If you are referring to danger....New York City is surprisingly high on the list of dangerous places. 

Port facilities in Lima, Peru are in the worst part of town, still people leave the ship and have a wonderful day touring the colonial sites in the not-so-dangerous parts of town.

I was looking for honest answers to the question if why someone stays on the ship avoiding a certain port?  I know that New York and other places can be thought of as dangerous. Cruise Law News has some horror stories, do they prompt you to stay on the ship?

I also know that it is great to visit  Princess Sanctuary on those days as well. Why take the time to ridicule someone’s questions? If we can't ask these questions here, then where?

11 minutes ago, Notonboard said:

Why take the time to ridicule someone’s questions? If we can't ask these questions here, then where?

:classic_huh:  I don't see any ridiculing.

You asked  "Is there a port on your Princess itinerary that you refuse to visit? If so why?" 

And folk responded with the where and the why they do or do not get off the ship.

You asked why, you didn't mention safety. The replies have shown that safety is a secondary consideration for most folk in most ports.

And to compound that, you unnecessarily mentioned Princess.

Not ridiculing, but perhaps a bit more care with a question will get the answers that you're looking for. :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Notonboard said:

I was looking for honest answers to the question if why someone stays on the ship avoiding a certain port?  I know that New York and other places can be thought of as dangerous. Cruise Law News has some horror stories, do they prompt you to stay on the ship?

I also know that it is great to visit  Princess Sanctuary on those days as well. Why take the time to ridicule someone’s questions? If we can't ask these questions here, then where?

Well the fact that you changed the wording of the question between the thread title and the body of your opening post is mainly responsible for some of the more colorful responses: "refuse to get off the ship" and "a port you refuse to visit" are two different concepts. With your use of the term "refuse" [which implies that there is some sort of obligation involved simply because the ship calls there] now somewhat contexless when seeing your clarification quoted above.

But whatever credibility you are seeking to reclaim has been completely erased by citing "that" website run by a certain ambulance-chasing cruise-industry-hating posterior orifice. Please never do so again; all regulars on these boards have no time for his nonsense.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, soonernstlouis said:

And just because you’ve been to say a certain island beach 50 times, that beach is probably better than the one close to home just to relax.

I know people who have visited the same holiday spot for years and years for exactly the same reason.

Manila, we live to hours north of the city and try to stay out of Manila, traffic is bad, and not really much for tourist to do. I had to laugh when the cruise line was offering a tour to Mall of Asia..... it is a good mall for the Philippines but most strip malls in the United States would beat it.  Philippines has some good ports but Manila is not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

70 cruises all Caribbean. So we usually get off just to take a walk and see if anything has changed or wife wants to get something. No more tours. Like the availability of the ships pool and hot tubs with less people on board. Also enjoy the trivia games while in port. About an hour by the pool with just about any location you may like.

On 4/5/2019 at 6:42 AM, Notonboard said:

Is there a port on your Princess itinerary that you refuse to visit? If so why?

Nope, sometimes I’ll decide I’d rather spend another sea day, but none that I’d refuse to get off at.

I cruise specifically for the ports - can't wait to explore town or hit the beach! However I'm leery to go to Jamaica right now so if I was on a ship that changed schedule and went there, I might consider staying on board (maybe).

On April 4, 2019 at 3:42 PM, Notonboard said:

Is there a port on your Princess itinerary that you refuse to visit? If so why?

We have never taken a Princess cruise,however,we have been on 6 other cruise lines . Our first was in 1973,second in 1994 but we did not become regular cruisers till 2010. Over the past 9 years we have taken a Caribbean cruise 2 to 3 times  a year and to the same ports almost every cruise. We always get off the ship for as long as possible in port.

We stayed on the ship at Salalah, Oman and after hearing the reports of scamming taxi drivers and the town being a dusty hole from our fellow passengers on their return, im glad we did.

Muscat, Oman, on the other hand was superb.

Edited by Rotherham_Cruiser

I have a quick three night cruise planned in September. It was planned to tide me over until my 7 night cruise in January. I will get off on the Cruise Lines Private Island because I haven't been there and it's supposed to be lovely. I will stay on the ship in Nassau. It'll be like a sea day for me.