Refuse to get off the Princess Ship!!!

Notonboard

Not sure the topic is about Princess since the same question applies to any line.  It is about ports.  And yes, we have stayed on the ship in many ports...especially in the Caribbean.  On one 14 day Celebrity cruise we only got off the ship in 1 out of 9 ports.  We cruise the world for ports.   But the Caribbean is about relaxing and the ports are no biggie.   

Hank

• Like 1

Well once the ship is alongside the port (or at anchor within the tendering harbor) you are legally considered visiting the port; whether you have a personal preference to "refuse" (sic) to disembark for the day is moot once you have booked the cruise.

So perhaps the operative question is, is there a port of call you so strenuously object to that you would refuse to book a cruise that call there?

Been to Noumea so many times. Do I “refuse” to get off?  Nope always something different to do or just wander around and then have a lazy  afternoon on a quiet ship.  I have been to ports all around the world, always something to see and enjoy.

So far we have not just stayed on the ship, even in ports we have been to many times, like St. Maarten.  We may just wander around, have a lunch on the beach and head back to the ship fairly quickly, but we always get off for a while.

I can see just staying on the ship could be very relaxing though.

• Like 1

As others  have said it's not just Princess. On what was (l think) our fourth stop ar Civitavecchia(For Rome) we stayed aboard. Quiet, peaceful ship, no lines waiting  at the bars or restaurants, hot sun, huge choice  of sunloungers........ what's  not to like?

The only port we've ever stayed onboard for was Athens but it was our 4th or 5th visit there and just wanted a sea day.  We had planned on staying onboard once when we visited Princess Cays but the island was cancelled because of weather.

I have stayed onboard at 2 ports (and one of them was on a Princess cruise) but that has been because of my health rather than a reflection of the port!

The first time, Dublin, I had been before. The second time, Rome, I have never been but knew it would be too long a day for me to manage, so I stayed onboard and sent OH off to have fun.

I wouldn't say "refused."  Rather, I would say "declined."  We do it all the time.

As recently as last December we took a 7-day Mexican Riviera out of Los Angeles and never left the ship.

We cruise because we love the shipboard experience.  The ports are, pretty much, inconsequential to us.

That being said, in a few weeks we are cruising to Alaska and can hardly wait to get to Juneau and have fish tacos at Deckhand Dave's.

Go figure.

Not "refused", but......we've taken a Caribbean winter cruise every year for the past 40 yrs and we've been to most islands many, many times.  The last couple of years, we didn't get off anywhere.  A 10-12 day and/or 2 BTB  Caribbean cruises in the winter is FAR LESS $$$$ than flying to any island and staying for that length of time. For us, the ship (any line, not just Princess)  IS the destination, and the best days are port days when most everyone else is off the ship!

Edited by marco
  • Like 1

On EVERY cruise there will be people who stay on the ship on port days.  It's quite common.  You are under NO obligation to leave the ship at all, at any port....except when you get back to your "home" port!

I stay on board for all the 8 islands, apart from shopping for a few necessities. We go because my husband loves to snorkel, and the Red Sea cruises were cut back a few years ago. The islands are too hot for me, and too crowded. 

It takes us 10 days to get there, and 10 days back, with stops at Madeira/Azores, which are much more my scene, and I enjoy all the activities on the sea days.

My husband and I identify as "travelers" rather than "cruisers".  Even in a port we've visited many time, we always go ashore. Every port has something we can revisit.  San Juan Puerto Rico has a nice craft market where I buy earrings.  St Thomas has Trunk Bay.

Sometimes we just get off to walk around and get some exercise

Cant even imagine not getting off in "Rome". Been there for a total of about three week and still plenty to see.

We'll be there in January on a ww cruise, but we'll just go to Tarquinia which an ancient Etruscan town less than an hour away from the cruise port.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Haven't found a port yet that didn't have at least one good thing to do.

We have been traveling to the Caribbean for over forty years.  It not that we can't find something to do (we have favorite beaches on most of the islands) but rather that the ship is actually nicer then going ashore.  We love when a ship is empty of most passengers and quiet.  One extra advantage to MSCs Yacht Club is that the regular restaurant is open for lunch on port days.  On the ship we get a wonderful lunch and all of our drinks are covered.  On Princess we can get a comfy deck chair anywhere with no hassles, and it is hard to justify going ashore where things are more crowded.  There will usually be at least 100 others who stay aboard.  Most of us are older and cruise those waters for the ship and weather more then the ports.

When in your part of the world we would be off the ship at every port.

Hank

I don't often revisit ports, so I always get off of the ship.  That said, the last time I was in Le Havre I had a bad cold and it was raining. I got off, caught the shuttle into town, found a pharmacy, and then caught the shuttle back to the ship and my cabin.

17 hours ago, fishywood said:

Well once the ship is alongside the port (or at anchor within the tendering harbor) you are legally considered visiting the port; whether you have a personal preference to "refuse" (sic) to disembark for the day is moot once you have booked the cruise.

So perhaps the operative question is, is there a port of call you so strenuously object to that you would refuse to book a cruise that call there?

What about safety?