When was the last time the Crown Grill menu was updated?

canadarocks

30 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

We're big fans of the Crown Grill, but to be honest the appetizers and soup & salad selections have become very dated in my opinion. Any rumors about an updating of the Crown Grill's menu?

I agree with you.  I wish they would adopt the menu we had on the Coral Princess when we dined at the Bayou Café.  It had all the steaks that the Crown Grill has but also had some Cajun items.

Of course a change of menu can be a bad thing.  The  Crown Grill changed their dessert menu and the new one had dropped their best item, the wild berry cobbler.

I'm with you.

I do recall, though, when the menu included a scallops appetizer that actually had those large scallops.  I also recall a pork chop being an entree selection.  The one time I had it. though, they managed to destroy it.  So, no great loss.

The biggest abomination of all, however, was removing the berry cobbler dessert.  The dessert menu, now, is pathetic.

My negativism aside, I have a Crown Grill reservation on April 23 on the Ruby Princess.

😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I'm with you.

I do recall, though, when the menu included a scallops appetizer that actually had those large scallops.  I also recall a pork chop being an entree selection.  The one time I had it. though, they managed to destroy it.  So, no great loss.

I had the Pork Chop also. It wasn't that good - it was a good size though.

• Like 1

The Scallop appetizer was changed in the last two years much to the chagrin of my hubby.  And the potatoes au gratin were removed many years ago despite the fact that it was wonderful.  So they are always tweaking but I agree that they've made some wrong moves when they've made tweaks.

Guess I’m contrarian but I really look forward to my favorite Crown Grill menu items and would be very disappointed if they were changed or removed. Love the bisque, a medium-rare filet with loaded baked potato and the chocolate obsession. 🙂 

• Like 2

Went to Crown Grill on the Majestic last night and it was the best food on the ship so far.  The Filet mignon, potato and creamed spinach were excellent.

The food on this ship is not great at all imho.  The marketplace is particularly bad.

The breakfast in Crown Grill is very very good.  No trouble at all getting a spicy Bloody Mary or 2 or 3 for breakfast.  😁 

Edited by kenexx

17 hours ago, Coral said:

I had the Pork Chop also. It wasn't that good - it was a good size though.

Hmm.  The one time I had it, mine wasn't very good either.

My experience with the proteins at Crown Grill have been, pretty much, hit or miss.  I have had outstanding filet mignon and I have had meh filet mignon.

I tend to be hyper critical, though.

13 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

Guess I’m contrarian but I really look forward to my favorite Crown Grill menu items and would be very disappointed if they were changed or removed. Love the bisque, a medium-rare filet with loaded baked potato and the chocolate obsession. 🙂 

I completely agree, Pam.  As I indicated above, I was quite disappointed when I arrived at my dessert choice a few years ago and learned that the berry cobbler was no longer on the menu.  Similarly the current Scallops appetizer is very disappointing compared to the old one.

A couple years ago, we were on the Grand Princess San Francisco-Alaska cruise and dined in the Crown Grill the second day of the cruise.  Along with the standard Crown Grill selections there was an insert with "Alaska Specialties."  The first item on that list was "Fresh Oysters on the Half-Shell" (when available).

Are the oysters available today?  Awesome.  Bring us those, right now.

We made a Crown Grill reservation for the very next day, but, by then, the oysters were no longer available.

I think that, maybe, it's fine to have all the standard menu items with peoples' favorites. but I think it would be nice to have regular inserts with alternatives.

Epilogue:  We will be boarding the Ruby Princess in a few weeks and heading to Alaska, again.  We already have a Crown Grill reservation on embarkation day.  I'm not convinced they will have an "Alaska Specialties" insert in their menu (there was none on the Emerald Princess cruise, last year), but if I don't check it out, I won't know.

😉

I feel it is time for more choices with vegetables and desserts offerings.  Especially something lighter for dessert.   Last couple dining's at the Grill we skipped the dessert and headed for the buffet and found  light dessert offerings. 

55 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Hmm.  The one time I had it, mine wasn't very good either.

My experience with the proteins at Crown Grill have been, pretty much, hit or miss.  I have had outstanding filet mignon and I have had meh filet mignon.

I tend to be hyper critical, though.

I am extremely critical probably because I live when I can buy meat direct from a farmer and I can get prime or very good Certified Angus Beef reasonably priced. I don't think Crown Grill or Sterlings is that great but as someone else mentioned, when the food isn't that great on the ship, the Steakhouse is "better". We don't bother with filet mignon often as it has less flavor than other cuts. Most of us where I live think it is "over rated" as it needs something to give it flavor (sauce, bacon, etc..). I am also allergic to most seafoods so shy away from those as I don't want to chance an allergic reaction at sea. 

A long time ago, I ate at Chops on RCCL and thought that was better. I don't have any recent experience and I am guessing it has declined also. 

I do love the asparagus on the crown grill. I wish they did more vegetables also or even another salad.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

The Scallop appetizer was changed in the last two years much to the chagrin of my hubby.  And the potatoes au gratin were removed many years ago despite the fact that it was wonderful.  So they are always tweaking but I agree that they've made some wrong moves when they've made tweaks.

We also miss the potatoes au gratin!  :classic_mellow:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Coral said:

I am extremely critical probably because I live when I can buy meat direct from a farmer and I can get prime or very good Certified Angus Beef reasonably priced. I don't think Crown Grill or Sterlings is that great but as someone else mentioned, when the food isn't that great on the ship, the Steakhouse is "better". We don't bother with filet mignon often as it has less flavor than other cuts. Most of us where I live think it is "over rated" as it needs something to give it flavor (sauce, bacon, etc..). I am also allergic to most seafoods so shy away from those as I don't want to chance an allergic reaction at sea. 

A long time ago, I ate at Chops on RCCL and thought that was better. I don't have any recent experience and I am guessing it has declined also. 

I do love the asparagus on the crown grill. I wish they did more vegetables also or even another salad.

I guess I'm confused as to why you would even consider going to CG and getting a steak ... being that you are extremely critical and all ... huh?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

We also miss the potatoes au gratin!  :classic_mellow:

They used to have something similar (not as good but still decent) in the dining room. They have been replaced with lyonnaise potatoes that were awful.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I guess I'm confused as to why you would even consider going to CG and getting a steak ... being that you are extremely critical and all ... huh?

Because the dining room food was awful on my last cruise. If you read my post, I mentioned when the food in the dining room is not good, this is better. Not to say it is great but sometimes the dining room food is not good at all and one looks for alternatives.

I don't even think Crown Grill serves USDA Choice, it tastes more like Select beef.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

Because the dining room food was awful on my last cruise. If you read my post, I mentioned when the food in the dining room is not good, this is better. Not to say it is great but sometimes the dining room food is not good at all.

I don't set myself up for disappointment ... sorry, just don't understand why someone would pay more for that ...

it's just food, not an event at that point ... I'd just go get a nice salad or something somewhere ... but then , I'm not

extremely critical like you stated

and food is so subjective and all ...

but, I will miss the grilled scallops if we end up  in CG - but I can get them fresh here at the local seafood market and grill them myself anyway ...

have a great next cruise ... I know we will ... looking forward hopefully to a UBD experience ...

and this will be our first cruise where it is maybe more about the food ... as it will be out first time having the Sabatini's breakfast, CC dining, and full mdr menu available for room service .. we'll see

Edited by voljeep
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I don't set myself up for disappointment ... sorry, just don't understand why someone would pay more for that ...

it's just food, not an event at that point ... I'd just go get a nice salad or something somewhere ... but then , I'm not

extremely critical like you stated

and food is so subjective and all ...

Apparently you are having problems reading - I said that it is better than the dining room. And grades of beef is not subjective. There is an industry standard on that.

BTW - on my last cruise, the salads were brown towards the end of the cruise. That is probably what happens when they only load up the ship once in 14 days. I did say the dining room food wasn't very good. Numerous problems.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Coral said:

Apparently you are having problems reading - I said that it is better than the dining room.

And grades of beef is not subjective. There is an industry standard on that.

which you obviously know going into the Crown Grill .... which grade to they advertise? and what do they deliver ?

and Ruth Chris is better than Golden Corral also ...

Is CG in the Outback category ???

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

which you obviously know going into the Crown Grill .... which grade to they advertise? and what do they deliver ?

and Ruth Chris is better than Golden Corral also ...

Is CG in the Outback category ???

At this point you seem to be trolling more than anything.

This has gotten off the subject of the OP so I am not going to bother. I am sure you can answer your own questions.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Except that chocolate lava thing in the little white pot..YUMMY! 💕💕💕

For sure!

You know something it is pretty bad when they bring the sampler with all of them and none of them standout.  🙄

Especially for me with a major sweet tooth.  😍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1