Ultimate Dining Package To Be Replaced

1 hour ago, KelJ said:

When did dining and beverage options become available in your cruise planner for April 2020?  We sail Anthem on April 12, 2020, and dining, beverage and entertainment options aren't available yet.

I have a March 2020 booking on Mariner.  Dining options showed up about a week ago.  Shore excursions have been available for awhile.  Still don't have any beverage, internet, or activity options available.

We are boarding Mariner a week this Friday and we have the UDP purchased.  I will report back with what success I have booking Izumi Hibachi, which Mariner has, once I get on board.  I also have Key so I suspect that I will be heading strait to Chops for lunch anyways.  They should be able to sort it all for me right there. I love Hibachi and go out for it on land whenever possible.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tree_skier said:

We are boarding Mariner a week this Friday and we have the UDP purchased.  I will report back with what success I have booking Izumi Hibachi which Mariner has.  I love Hibachi and go out for it on land whenever possible.

Looking forward to your report.  We leave on Mariner in 40 days and have the UDP booked.  I'd love to have some idea of what to expect.  Let us know if you try for embarkation lunch as well.  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

We are boarding Mariner a week this Friday and we have the UDP purchased.  I will report back with what success I have booking Izumi Hibachi, which Mariner has, once I get on board.  I also have Key so I suspect that I will be heading strait to Chops for lunch anyways.  They should be able to sort it all for me right there. I love Hibachi and go out for it on land whenever possible.

1 minute ago, j1d1 said:

Looking forward to your report.  We leave on Mariner in 40 days and have the UDP booked.  I'd love to have some idea of what to expect.  Let us know if you try for embarkation lunch as well.  Thanks.

Agree with both of you.  We are also going on Mariner at the end of May.  Hoping embarkation, Playmakers, and Hibachi is all included.

Just now, j1d1 said:

Sorry, I was editing my post as you were replying. We have Key so Embarkation lunch is included however I will ask about the Key menu vs. the traditional Chops lunch Menu that might be included with UDP.

Just now, Tree_skier said:

Sorry, I was editing my post as you were replying. We have Key so Embarkation lunch is included however I will ask about the Key menu vs. the traditional Chops lunch Menu that might be included with UDP.

No problem.  We currently have the Key booked as well but are heavily leaning towards dropping it.  If it looks like embarkation lunch is included with the UDP, that could definitely play a role in dropping the Key.  All in all, I'd love to hear your experience with both the UDP and the Key on Mariner.  Thanks.

55 minutes ago, firefox247 said:

Agree with both of you.  We are also going on Mariner at the end of May.  Hoping embarkation, Playmakers, and Hibachi is all included.

For what it's worth I instant messaged RCCL on FB and was told those items are included as well as JRs.  They said if opened and serving lunch, it's included, doesn't matter if an at sea day (this sort of contradicts the website description). Wouldn't surprise me if the rules are specifically NOT in printed on the website so people can't print them out and say "these were the terms when I bought", they can change as needed.

They mentioned depended on space availability for Hibachi.  I like the inclusion of these new venues and it's nice that big eaters can go ahead and order a second entree if they'd like (although it gives me pause about wastefulness) but I'm not sure about being able to book more than ONE specialty restuarant a night.

That seems like a CF waiting to happen.  Grabbing wings at Playmakers late after a 6pm specialty restaurant reservation earlier is all good; Playmakers doesn't take reservations.  But the folks boarding early and potentially booking an early Hibachi and a late Chops just for dessert and coffee sort of seems unfair b/c you know at some point someone will be looking to make their first reservation of the night and they cannot.  

At a minimum it should be one reservation per night allowed and walk ups welcomed for a second visit based on availability.  Time will tell.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Thats the best you should be able to get full lunch menu. 

5 hours ago, j1d1 said:

No problem.  We currently have the Key booked as well but are heavily leaning towards dropping it.  If it looks like embarkation lunch is included with the UDP, that could definitely play a role in dropping the Key.  All in all, I'd love to hear your experience with both the UDP and the Key on Mariner.  Thanks.

So I dropped the UDP after I purchased the key. I realized I had a free chops lunch and a a Jaimes lunch (CP perk). Changed to a smaller meal plan which was silly bc it only saved me 30 bc I had bought it so cheap. 

4 hours ago, SAmome said:

For what it's worth I instant messaged RCCL on FB and was told those items are included as well as JRs.  They said if opened and serving lunch, it's included, doesn't matter if an at sea day (this sort of contradicts the website description). Wouldn't surprise me if the rules are specifically NOT in printed on the website so people can't print them out and say "these were the terms when I bought", they can change as needed.

They mentioned depended on space availability for Hibachi.  I like the inclusion of these new venues and it's nice that big eaters can go ahead and order a second entree if they'd like (although it gives me pause about wastefulness) but I'm not sure about being able to book more than ONE specialty restuarant a night.

That seems like a CF waiting to happen.  Grabbing wings at Playmakers late after a 6pm specialty restaurant reservation earlier is all good; Playmakers doesn't take reservations.  But the folks boarding early and potentially booking an early Hibachi and a late Chops just for dessert and coffee sort of seems unfair b/c you know at some point someone will be looking to make their first reservation of the night and they cannot.  

At a minimum it should be one reservation per night allowed and walk ups welcomed for a second visit based on availability.  Time will tell.  

That is the most sane thing I have heard, one reservation per night. How unfair for actual diners to have to compete while you're on your second meal, or dessert or appetizer. Bc everyone seems to want just dessert at Wonderland. That could definitely be a cf.

16 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I emailed Royal asking specifically if Hibachi was included and they confirmed, yes Izumi Hibachi is now part of the Unlimited Dining Package.

On 4/12/2019 at 10:09 AM, Ronaldo807 said:

I messaged Royal on FB and was told that embarkation lunch is not included even though specialty dining restaurants may be open. Your package begins with your first dinner onboard. You can dine at any of our venues during the operational hours (again this contradicts embarkation day). Playmakers is included with the package and hibachi is now included.

Take it for what it's worth, but that's from Royal.

I find that very interesting as I have been posting on Royal Caribbean International's page on FB and I have been told that with the UDP I can go to Chops for lunch on embarkation day and it will not be the limited menu that is used for the Key.  I have asked this question twice and gotten the same answer both times from different people.

I have also been told this change allows Hibachi to be part of the plan.  

The dining for Allure in January 2020 is not open yet, so I can't look at anything for then, but the info I asked about was for our June 2019 sailing on Allure.

6 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

I find that very interesting as I have been posting on Royal Caribbean International's page on FB and I have been told that with the UDP I can go to Chops for lunch on embarkation day and it will not be the limited menu that is used for the Key.  I have asked this question twice and gotten the same answer both times from different people.

The dining for Allure in January 2020 is not open yet, so I can't look at anything for then, but the info I asked about was for our June 2019 sailing on Allure.

I'm resigned to the fact that we will just have to wait and see. We had a dining package on Allure that was a hassle last June to change the times/restaurants (it appears to be a common trend on Allure from what I have read). We had a dining package on Navigator in March that was quick and easy to get exactly what we wanted. We have never purchased the UDP previously and really only did it for our cruise on Harmony to treat ourselves and because of the number of restaurants. We still have some time though to get concrete feedback on what the package really works like so we can always cancel and go back to our original plan of BOGO + 3 Night.

1 hour ago, katiel53 said:

Chops lunch has always had a limited menu 

Having a discussion on another social media site. I you have the unlimited dining package, can you have appetizers in one restaurant, main  dinner in another and dessert in the third.    Or simply use the unlimited option  for   dessert in a different restaurant from  where you had dinner?

Thanks for any info. 

M

54 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Having a discussion on another social media site. I you have the unlimited dining package, can you have appetizers in one restaurant, main  dinner in another and dessert in the third.    Or simply use the unlimited option  for   dessert in a different restaurant from  where you had dinner?

Thanks for any info. 

M

I think the problem may be in getting that many reservations.  What you are suggesting might require 3 reservations and how far apart do you make them? It’s logistically challenging.  However I’m guessing that if a restaurant isn’t booked or crowded, you could walk up and ask for seating just for apps or dessert by showing them your UDP on the card.

I guess we will all find out once passengers report back.

1 hour ago, later said:

Chops lunch has always had a limited menu 

That is true as compared to the dinner menu, but the Key menu is a shortened version of the Chops lunch menu.  Entrees are different as are desserts.  I can't remember if the apps are different as I can't eat that much for lunch.

10 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Thanks for confirming that for me.  I'll be looking forward to Hibachi on two nights if I can get the reservations.

Ok, this makes me think of another unsolicited piece of advice for RCCL on how everyone can share nicely.  For 3 and 4 night sailings, Hibachi reservations should be limited to one night only for that cruise, at least for first day reservations.  Openings the next day after everyone has their shot at getting ONE night, open to multiple reservations.  

For 7 nights, limited to no more than 2 Hibachi reservations.  No offence to anyone wanting multiple reservations but with space constraints, have to look at how everyone can get a shot at one night on their sailing before giving some 2 or more.

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

What I think they should do is allow reservations on the cruise planner in advance of boarding when you purchase a package. 

Thats still places a really heavy advantage on advance bookers, which may or may not be fair, depending on your perspective.

8 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

What I think they should do is allow reservations on the cruise planner in advance of boarding when you purchase a package. 

Nah, it makes sense to let the people booking their meals for less than 29/night yield to those paying full price for Izumi/Chops etc 45-50/night.  It's in RCCLs interest to make more where they can and it seems fair that those paying full price are able to get the times they want ahead of time.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

Thats still places a really heavy advantage on advance bookers, which may or may not be fair, depending on your perspective.

That's true on many aspects of the ship.  Early bookers get a better selection of cabins. Early bookers get a better opportunity to prebook the limited number of lower priced spa services  Early bookers get first choice at MTD hours. Early bookers get better opportunity to book preferred times for iFly, Northstar, Flowrider private sessions and even popular shore excursion sessions. Commit your money early, increase your options.  RCi can't and shouldn't guarantee  equal outcomes, all the company should be doing is offering equal opportunity.