Ultimate Dining Package To Be Replaced

Anyone else see the news that the UDP is being replaced with . . . well . . . another UDP, only this time the "Unlimited Dining Package"?  Sounds like you'll be able to dine in multiple specialty restaurants each night if you want, and it might include additional a la carte options that the old UDP did not like Playmakers and Izumi Hibachi (details aren't really known yet).  Should be available starting 4/12.

If someone already posted about this, feel free to merge it, delete it, whatever.  I just didn't see a topic on it yet.

Edited by firefox247
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, firefox247 said:

Anyone else see the news that the UDP is being replaced with . . . well . . . another UDP, only this time the "Unlimited Dining Package"?  Sounds like you'll be able to dine in multiple specialty restaurants each night if you want, and it might include additional a la carte options that the old UDP did not like Playmakers and Izumi Hibachi (details aren't really known yet).  Should be available starting 4/12.

If someone already posted about this, feel free to merge it, delete it, whatever.  I just didn't see a topic on it yet.

You will get $35 to spend in a la carte restaurants (izumi and Playmakers).

Just now, stevea36 said:

You will get $35 to spend in a la carte restaurants (izumi and Playmakers).

While subject to change as always, Playmakers is not currently available in any dining package and thus no $35 credit there.

• Like 1

Very interesting.  I will be checking to see how the price compares to the current UDP.  I know it varies, but the current version is currently $199 on our next sailing.  We bought the 4 night package for $100 pp, which I thought was a good price.  I would possibly consider a new UDP that could be used at Playmakers, Vintages etc.  in the future.

However I would worry about the availability of specialty dining reservations.

1 hour ago, er345 said:

Very interesting.  I will be checking to see how the price compares to the current UDP.  I know it varies, but the current version is currently $199 on our next sailing.  We bought the 4 night package for $100 pp, which I thought was a good price.  I would possibly consider a new UDP that could be used at Playmakers, Vintages etc.  in the future.

However I would worry about the availability of specialty dining reservations.

The blog I read said $24 pp pn for cruises 7 nights and under, $20 pp pn for longer cruises. I think they thrown in the sea day lunches when figuring the total cost per meal. .  The article also mentioned the fact that people complain to being limited to 1 specialty dinner per night. 

3 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

The blog I read said $24 pp pn for cruises 7 nights and under, $20 pp pn for longer cruises. I think they thrown in the sea day lunches when figuring the total cost per meal. .  The article also mentioned the fact that people complain to being limited to 1 specialty dinner per night. 

Also depends on the ship class. Oasis & Quantum are more and so are the amplified ships for shorter sailings.

Now I'm wondering how this will impact the Ultimate Dining Package I've booked for May on Mariner.  Got a really good deal on Black Friday.  Hopefully it just gets converted to the new package.

46 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

How is this an actual problem? How many dinners does a person need? 🙄

Not directed at you... just the idea of this.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

I'm going to guess very few people would use it, but of course, Royal gets to charge more for it than now. 

34 minutes ago, j1d1 said:

Now I'm wondering how this will impact the Ultimate Dining Package I've booked for May on Mariner.  Got a really good deal on Black Friday.  Hopefully it just gets converted to the new package.

Same boat. Got it for Mariner 4 day cruise for like $75 on Black Friday. Hoping it just converts. 

wow wow I dont like current package so many restrictions and rule but If I can go to the same restaurant over and over the same day or eat more than just one entree I might change my mind and purchase a package 

I didn't see anywhere in the article that lunches are still included - sea days or otherwise.  I sure hope they will honor my existing UDP packages for lunches - especially on embarkation day. I certainly cannot imagine eating more than 1 dinner in a specialty (or anywhere else, for that matter).  I can usually barely finish whatever I am served now !

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Im so disgusted by this. Seriously. 

(not the OP, I read this earlier today and was just grossed out) 

Would love actual reviews once this goes into effect from anyone who had prepurchased! (They're not thinking of having both an Ultimate and an Unlimited Plan, right? Way too confusing.) Would also love details from anyone who finds this option on their Cruise Planner.

11 minutes ago, later said:

Where are you getting this information?  It wasn’t covered in the blog  article.

I read the actual flyer that was distributed to travel agents.  On the old package it listed Hibachi as specifically being excluded.  With this new package it only lists Chefs Table and Culinary experiences/activities which now in hindsight I would not be surprised to see Royal claim Hibachi is a culinary experience.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

The full details can be found here:

https://loyaltoyoualways.com/service/unlimiteddining/

After reading through everything, I believe the restriction on Hibachi is gone.  The culinary activities they are referring to are things like cupcake and sushi making classes.  Also of interest is the only dining package options going forward on 6-9 night cruises will be BOGO, 3 Night, and Unlimited.  5 Night packages will be offered only on 10+ day sailings.

• Like 1

I have no interest in eating at multiple specialty restaurants each night, but it would be awesome if Playmakers and Hibachi were included. That would really increase the available options on Mariner. I could see myself going to Playmakers for an afternoon snack or late night chicken wings pretty frequently