Ultimate Dining Package To Be Replaced

The “multiple specialty restaurants each night” would work for us if we could have dinner early and then have another (late) reservation for dessert.  There is usually way too much food to really enjoy dessert, but I would find it very enjoyable a couple of hours later.

• Like 4

As someone who doesn't particularly like the dessert at Giovanni's but loves the dessert options at Chops the ability to combine the two sounds kind of cool. Of course on the Ovation you can just wander down to La Patisserie for an amazing Red Velvet or Carrot cake for only a couple of dollars so I am back to thinking that I wouldn't ever go to 2 places for dinner on the same night.

• Like 1

I noticed this new plan is already in my cruise planner for my cruise April next year.  I'm actually considering it since you get lunch in specialty restaurants on sea days too plus the $35/pp credit for a la carte items.  It does have BOGO, 5 dinner, and UDP, plus each individual restaurant listed to already take reservations.  Seriously considering the UDP now.  It's $168 for my cruise and we could eat all places more than once.

I have no interest in eating at specialty restaurants every night of the cruise - firstly because the novelty will soon wear off with the boring same old same old menus; I will be sick of all that food, and at the end of the cruise I will be the size of a house....once or twice is fine and enough in my book.   Sometimes I don't even bother going to a specialty as I can recite the menu for Giovannis and I have only seen the offerings in Chops get smaller and more limited in the 12 yrs I have been cruising with RCI. 

I dread to think of the amount of wasted food just because people feel they have to order it to get their money's worth, which they don't really want.

So sorry, this is a non starter for me.

I have the 3n Meal deal booked for September - I hope they honour that.   And I guess as D+ I will still have my BOGO...but wonder whether I will actually be able to get into a restaurant either of the first two nights because of people who 'have' to dine in there every night.

Not a good move IMHO RCI.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tomatosauce said:

As someone who doesn't particularly like the dessert at Giovanni's but loves the dessert options at Chops the ability to combine the two sounds kind of cool. 

Whenever I dine in Giovannis I ask them for a slice of Red Velvet from Chops and they have always obliged.  

I don't like any of the Giovannis desserts either.

14 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

How is this an actual problem? How many dinners does a person need? 🙄

Not directed at you... just the idea of this.

I was thinking that too - even if you booked one at the earliest time and another at the latest I can't imagine being hungry again to justify the second round.

28 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I could see how a Suite guest could have dinner room service ordered with a salad and entree from Chops, some guacamole from Sabor and dessert from Giovanni's all under the unlimited plan.

Oh now this is an interesting thought!  I like how you think!

1 hour ago, ShillyShally said:

I was thinking that too - even if you booked one at the earliest time and another at the latest I can't imagine being hungry again to justify the second round.

Suppose you ate at Chops one night at 5:30.  Later that night, you are at play masters and you see those wings look mighty tasty.  Or you have a craving for a Johnny Rockets hamburger?  I can't see eating two dinners myself, but the wings are calling my name.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Suppose you ate at Chops one night at 5:30.  Later that night, you are at play masters and you see those wings look mighty tasty.  Or you have a craving for a Johnny Rockets hamburger?  I can't see eating two dinners myself, but the wings are calling my name.

True, that I can see certainly, especially since Playmakers serves food late!  

• Like 1

I usually do specialty dining every night so this is right up my alley.  Why:  being a male couple, the looks from fellow passengers is still disturbing and it's just not worth the aggravation. You would think in this day and age, it wouldn't happen, but it does.   You get better service and the food is of higher quality.  On top of that, we're now saving $$$$$.  Win win for us!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I usually do specialty dining every night so this is right up my alley.  Why:  being a male couple, the looks from fellow passengers is still disturbing and it's just not worth the aggravation. You would think in this day and age, it wouldn't happen, but it does

I'm confused.  Like . . . aren't there other passengers in specialty dining too?  Are you saying those people don't give you weird looks or something?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, little britain said:

I dread to think of the amount of wasted food just because people feel they have to order it to get their money's worth, which they don't really want.

The argument for this package will be the same as the drink package. Order whatever you want. If you don't like it throw it out and order something else. Can you imagine if everyone ordered multiple meals. You wouldn't be able to get a reservation. The same people would be there for hours.

Below is what is in my cruise planner for a 6 day Explorer of the Seas sailing in October.  I am not sure if it is the same or different than previous as I have never purchased the dining package.  

OVERVIEW

Savor the savings with the Ultimate Dining Package! For one low price, you can enjoy dinner at our specialty restaurants every night of your sailing. And as an added perk, you’ll also get to eat lunch in our specialty restaurants on sea days. Plus, enjoy a discount of 40% off bottles of wine under $100 and 20% off bottles above $100 while dining in specialty restaurants.
A courtesy reservation will be made for the first night of your cruise based on your preferred dining time. You will receive your courtesy reservation confirmation in your stateroom on the first day of your cruise. All additional reservations or changes to your courtesy reservation must be made once onboard at any specialty restaurant.
For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $35 food credit.*

5 minutes ago, Marbel69 said:

I see Solarium Bistro now on my cruise planner at $0.00 - is this a specialty restaurant or free?

Free.  Reservations are recommended.  But smaller groups can walk up and be seated if there is availability.

When you make the reservation in your cruise planner, checkout will cost nothing, similar to entertainment reservations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, er345 said:

Free.  Reservations are recommended.  But smaller groups can walk up and be seated if there is availability.

When you make the reservation in your cruise planner, checkout will cost nothing, similar to entertainment reservations.

So it's part of the cruise price?  I just want to make sure I won't be charged to eat there.

Thank you.

Edited by Marbel69

Just now, Marbel69 said:

So it's part of the cruise price?  I just want to make sure I won't be charged to eat there.

Thank you.

You will not be charged to eat in the Solarium for dinner.  I already have my reservations made for our next cruise.

I honestly don’t know if they serve the upcharge items there like in the MDR, if so, that would be the exception.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, er345 said:

You will not be charged to eat in the Solarium for dinner.  I already have my reservations made for our next cruise.

I honestly don’t know if they serve the upcharge items there like in the MDR, if so, that would be the exception.

Thank you.

In my cruise planner:

Overview

Savor the savings with the Ultimate Dining Package! For one low price, you can enjoy dinner at our specialty restaurants every night of your sailing. And as an added perk, you’ll also get to eat lunch in our specialty restaurants on sea days. Plus, enjoy a discount of 40% off bottles of wine under $100 and 20% off bottles above $100 while dining in specialty restaurants.

A courtesy reservation will be made for the first night of your cruise based on your preferred dining time. You will receive your courtesy reservation confirmation in your stateroom on the first day of your cruise. All additional reservations or changes to your courtesy reservation must be made once onboard at any specialty restaurant.

For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $35 food credit.*