Can we just walk on with our luggage?

lupaglupa

A few cruises ago we started walking on with our bags instead of checking them and found it made our first day a lot easier. We have always been able to get into our cabin, even when boarding very early in the day. This has worked for us on several different lines. But I've only been on NCL once before and it was a horrifying embarkation - everything that could go wrong did. That was before we habitually walked on with bags so we did check them and did, eventually, get them. Based on that one experience, I'm nervous about getting on the Gem this Friday with our bags. What do experienced NCL cruisers suggest? Are cabins usually ready?

Just now, lupaglupa said:

We don't have huge bags - they've made it through every scanner in every other port so I'm not worried about that. 

So you should be good, yes you can carry on all your luggage then

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

In my experience NCL keeps the cabins blocked off to passengers until the 1-2pm timeframe. So you'll be walking around with your luggage until then - assuming it fits through the scanner. 

Blocked off as in that part of the ship is closed to passengers?

You can, but even with a carry on sized bag, I wouldn't want to haul it all around till cabins were ready...but yeah, it should work.  I'm just glad everyone doesn't take this tact...bags everywhere.  

1 hour ago, lupaglupa said:

We don't have huge bags - they've made it through every scanner in every other port so I'm not worried about that. 

If they make it through the airport scanners for carry on bags you will be all set.  If they don't you will need to check them

That's the only way I embark.  That said, I only carry a back pack and an overhead rollaboard with me on a cruise.

Yes, you must roll it around with you until the cabins are open.  But, I'm a creature of habit.  I go to the first bar that's uncrowded and open.  And, I get the obligatory "drink of the day".  Then, I head to one of the "non-crowded" dining options (not the Garden Cafe), and grab lunch.  By then my cabin's ready.  

As a side note, generally speaking, it's easier to embark after the rush of people getting off, and the rush of people getting on has thinned out (say, 1:30 or so).

Same for disembarkation.  I haul it off when I'm ready to leave....usually right after the crowd has subsided.

• Like 1

I remember back in the 90's on an NCL cruise we asked if we could carry on our luggage and they had no problem with it.  It's nice to have your stuff with you.  On our other cruises we had to usually go to the first night's dinner dressed in our travel clothes and looking all frumpy, waiting for our luggage to show up late at night.  I guess it's an option, depends on what's important to you.  I'd just hate to lug it around for hours possibly.

We were on the Star in March.  During boarding, announcements were made that

it was OK to take luggage to cabins and drop them off.   That was well before the announcement that

cabins were ready.

This was the first NCL cruise we had heard an OK to drop off luggage in the cabins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newleno said:

You mean people still check bags?  This aint 1970.  We have never been on a cruise where we checked our bags.  However on 2 occasions we saw "checked" bags floating in the water. 

I always hope for a crowded plane and a “gate check” offer just so I don’t have to lug it on and off the plane. I’ve scored preferred board and drink tickets on the flight by taking them up on the offer

Edited by PTC DAWG

We carry everything onboard. We like to eat our lunch and then go to our cabin and we are unpacked by 2pm and our vacation can begin. We also pack lightly. If you have loads of luggage, it is advisable to check your luggage. Having too much luggage can slow down embarkation for guests with carry on items.

5 hours ago, Newleno said:

However on 2 occasions we saw "checked" bags floating in the water. 

I've heard rumors of this before, but never knew if it was true or just scare tactics by the porters.   You actually saw the luggage in the water?  Yikes!  Yea, this is just one more reason I'm in the carry-on camp.

6 hours ago, vince_g said:

Cabins are normally ready about 1PM.  You can have a nice lunch in the Grand Pacific Dining Room, and by the time you are done, the cabins should be ready. 

But why would you want to schlepp your bags to the dining room??

8 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

But why would you want to schlepp your bags to the dining room??

It is a sure proof way to know your luggage won't be lost or misdelivered. Every cruise we get one of those papers from guest services... It seems some of your fellow guests are without their luggage. Please check your stateroom under the bed and in the closets.

2 hours ago, rugerdog said:

I've heard rumors of this before, but never knew if it was true or just scare tactics by the porters.   You actually saw the luggage in the water?  Yikes!  Yea, this is just one more reason I'm in the carry-on camp.

Yep, now we look for bags floating but we only have seen them twice, carryons all the way, we took a 31 day hong kong to vancouver with just carryon/attached totes.  Amazing the bags almost roll themselves, I dont think I am allowed to mention the brand here.