october 16, 2020 cruise cancelled disappointed

cruisehome

So sorry that happened!!

I do not understand why it is so difficult to get cruise lines to begin the business method of contacting their normal charters (and agencies that handle charters) say a month before releasing their new schedule to the public and saying "You have 3 weeks to decide which you want to charter. After that, you can book a group, but no full-ship charters." That gives them a week leeway to suss things out and have an accurate list of what can be released for sale and what dates not to release.

We had a cruise for this Oct cancelled for a charter.  We were offered a choice of 4 or 5 cruises we could move to with price protection & $200 OBC , or we could mi e deposit to another cruise at  the prevailing rate & $200 OBC, or we could get a refund .  For us one of the offered cruises worked & was 2 days longer so worked out well in our case.

We had a infinity cruise canceled for a charter.   They offered $200 SBC if we took one of the two cruises that were after that.  Problem was the prices increased and the cabin we had and wanted was already taken.  It was 1140.  All the aft cabins were booked.   We needed up giving our money to another cruise line and have booked more future cruises with them than with Celebrity.  

We also had a 11 day cruise on the Equinox shortened by 3 days for a charter.     The adjustment ended up with a  higher cost per day for us.  The day that we wanted was the one that was cut off.   We took that cruise but also took another cruise on a different cruise line for that date and also booked some more cruises with them.  

It happens a lot.  Win some lose some.  I think Celebrity in the long run loses loyal customers because of their policy of canceling cruises for charters.  It is their business so it must be more profitable to do the charter and lose a few loyal customers.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

1 minute ago, cruisehome said:

thanks for getting back to me  the agent has sent me an email   they said I could choose another cruise with lowest protected price and $200 obc

Great news, hope you find a cruise that works for you.

10 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

So sorry that happened!!

I do not understand why it is so difficult to get cruise lines to begin the business method of contacting their normal charters (and agencies that handle charters) say a month before releasing their new schedule to the public and saying "You have 3 weeks to decide which you want to charter. After that, you can book a group, but no full-ship charters." That gives them a week leeway to suss things out and have an accurate list of what can be released for sale and what dates not to release.

They can, but choose to book charters after release to public because it is much more profitable and they are not having enough negative reaction.  

Our challenge is where would you go if you leave Celebrity, for example?  It is my understanding that most if not all cruise lines allow charters to take over ships after release to public.

We have not ever had a cruise ripped out from under us.  Did have one on day 2 of a 15 day cruise announce that we would not  visit any of the 3 ports in Mexico.  This was 2009 after the H1N1 health threat.  Hard to argue about that though.  Went to San Diego for 1/2 day, Catalena Island for day and arrived in San Francisco a day early and got to tour SF and then sleep onboard before disembarking on our scheduled day.

4 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

They can, but choose to book charters after release to public because it is much more profitable and they are not having enough negative reaction.  

Our challenge is where would you go if you leave Celebrity, for example?  It is my understanding that most if not all cruise lines allow charters to take over ships after release to public.

We have not ever had a cruise ripped out from under us.  Did have one on day 2 of a 15 day cruise announce that we would not  visit any of the 3 ports in Mexico.  This was 2009 after the H1N1 health threat.  Hard to argue about that though.  Went to San Diego for 1/2 day, Catalena Island for day and arrived in San Francisco a day early and got to tour SF and then sleep onboard before disembarking on our scheduled day.

Thankfully for me as a solo who loves Disney, that is usually an option (usually not a huge price difference for a solo). Generally they do not have the charter groups that others do - just the DVC member cruise, and that date is if not announced then at least a blank in the schedule when it is released.

I am honestly only jumping ship to Celebrity for Feb Break 2020 because I wanted a 7-night and could not get that on Disney without having to deal with a sea day being ruined by Star Wars taking over the ship for a day.

I am sure I will enjoy it - and from what I have been able to figure out, Presidents’ Week is usually safe and the Equinox seems to not show up on as many charter lists - but knowing that they have a history of doing this (I seem to see the issue crop up regarding Celebrity more than most) at any time and for any reason does make me hesitant to cruise with them again. Which is something I will put in my post-cruise “glows and grows” email.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

We were on that cruise too, Sam.  Very disappointing to miss the Mexico ports.  The H1N1 threat eventually turned out to be of little consequence.  Our overnight in SF was magical though, warm and clear with a full moon.  Unusually good weather for San Francisco. 

14 hours ago, Oville said:

It does happen a lot and across all cruise lines, not pleasant but usually with advanced notice.

We've been on 51 cruises from 1994-2017 on 3 lines (Celebrity, HAL, Princess) and this has never happened to us.  Either it's fairly rare or we've been extremely lucky <g>.  We have been on multiple cruises with organized groups on board, but they were a small minority of the pax.

really upset with celebrity   my agent tried with no luck   since I can't take one of the offerings they provided   no price protection -  I feel it is there fault that they cancelled my cruise.

so now I have to pay more for another cruise that I want to take

very disappointed   I don't think celebrity cares and I thought they were different   guess they don't care who cruises with them     

They generally offer alternate sailing dates (if available) in which they'll price-protect.  If you cannot take those cruises, you can transfer your booking to another cruise at the prevailing rate or cancel & get a refund.  They would not be able to force anyone to move sailing dates since that is a fundamental change in the contract. 

On 4/19/2019 at 5:52 PM, BarbinMich said:

We've been on 51 cruises from 1994-2017 on 3 lines (Celebrity, HAL, Princess) and this has never happened to us.  Either it's fairly rare or we've been extremely lucky <g>.  We have been on multiple cruises with organized groups on board, but they were a small minority of the pax.

You are obviously a good omen and pax will be safe booking on a future cruise you’re taking :classic_biggrin:.

Sorry this happened to you.  I know how disappointing this is when it happens.  There is a chance that your replacement cruise with be even better.  that was the case when it happened to me.  wishing you an even better cruise!

4 minutes ago, villauk said:

You are obviously a good omen and pax will be safe booking on a future cruise you’re taking :classic_biggrin:.

You are so kind!  Unfortunately we're no longer able to cruise due to DH's health.  But we've seen about everything we've wanted to see at least once, if not more, so can't complain.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2019 at 5:37 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Equinox seems to not show up on as many charter lists - but knowing that they have a history of doing this (I seem to see the issue crop up regarding Celebrity more than most) at any time and for any reason does make me hesitant to cruise with them again. Which is something I will put in my post-cruise “glows and grows” email.

Equinox used to be chartered most years in the summer in the Med by Atlantis, that was before she moved to the Caribbean year-round.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, villauk said:

Equinox used to be chartered most years in the summer in the Med by Atlantis, that was before she moved to the Caribbean year-round.

Thanks. I am new to Celebrity (and so newish to this concept of cruise lines screwing people who already booked to change a cruise to a charter), so I've only looked at future lists, not past lists.

thank god for the agent helping me straighten out the mess celebrity made in cancelling my cruise

I did not want to go on the cruises they offered in place of the one I was scheduled on.  the booking got cancelled - don't know by who   so they did not want to give me the $200 obc that I was entitled to for booking on board nor the obc offered for booking the new cruise.   the agent argued and argued with them and finally got both   but said I could not ask for any price reductions in the future if the price of the cruise goes down

I am really really disappointed in celebrity  I have sailed with them many many times  you would think they would do what they could to accommodate passengers -    what a mess and not my fault

I am thoroughly upset with them    …...maybe time to go back to another line after this    too bad - they don't care..

On 4/19/2019 at 12:52 PM, BarbinMich said:

Is it possible that you don't book waaaaay ahead . I'm assuming the vast majority of cancelled for charters cruises are done over a year ahead .