Elevators

27 minutes ago, MrCruzdoggie said:

Was Cartman there? He would have yelled Cripple Fight 

Know what you are talking about, other's won't but Term is still not appropriate here or anywhere

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 3

Some people are just rude.  There was a guy on a scooter on our last cruise who drove around yelling, “get the hell out of the way”, and would pull up at bars and start snapping his fingers at bartenders to get attention.    

Takes all kinds.  

• Like 2

Was on one once with 5 people, stopped at a floor and the people in front said no more room and wait for the next one. I stepped  up and told the entitled  couple they don’t belong on ships and held the open button so they could get on. As I got off the others in the elevators cheered. Later found out the entitled couple where in the room next to us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

My daughter & I encountered several people in walkers, scooters or wheel chairs on our Princess cruise last month. I had a  lady using a walker jump into the elevator as I was attempting to exit . I had to jump back into the elevator to avoid being hit. We witnessed several people all able to walk, rush the elevators to get in and not waiting for others to exit. They need a  talk on elevator etiquette. Those in Wheel Chairs were very polite and others allowed them to get on or exit first.  

I use a scooter and always wait for people to get off first.  While I wait, people just getting there will get in front of me and they all jump into the elevator.  Believe it or not, we always wind up waiting about 4 or 5 times before we can actually get on the elevator.  Although the person was very rude in this case, she may have had a bad experience earlier.  Just giving that person the benefit of the doubt.   You would not believe the way people treat people on scooters.  On the other hand, most people are very courteous to us.  I really wish I didn’t have to use a scooter.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steevo L said:

if the scooter didnt have enough room or didnt want to squeeze in...TO BAD..... they can wait for the next one......

and shame on anyone blaming the other person. lots of clueless self entitled keyboard warriors.  I post what i would have said, except it probably would get me removed from cruise critic

No one blamed the other person. Have no idea where or how you got that from.

iuki, I for one, will always ask when the doors open, if anyone is getting off before even thinking about getting on, I recall one instance where a wife was pushing her husband in the wheel chair and  we were riding the elevator up. We got to my floor however, she would have had to push her husband out for me to get off. I told her to go ahead to their floor and I would ride it back down. I was in no hurry. Some day I could be the person in a wheel chair or scooter, needing assistance. 

• Like 4

I had an ankle injury that prompted me to rent a scooter once. It was one the Allure, so I was afraid of the long walking to get from one end to the other. I healed much quicker than the doctor or I thought. But I kept it just in case. I used the scooter to go to the muster drill, figuring to get used to it. After the drill I knew the deal, set up in front of an elevator and just wait for that one. I got on the elevator going forward so I could back out when my floor was reached. A group of people (non english speaking) got in behind me. I only had to go one floor. The elevator stopped I said "excuse me getting off" to deaf ears ( I didn't know there was a horn or I would have used it loudly) . They would move to let me off. To make matters worse they wanted to go down instead of up so they rode the elevator to the top and then down. They didn't understand me asking to press my floor. So I bypassed my floor again. They got off on the deck 3. And some got on that pressed the button for me. My wife walked up the stairs and wondered what took so long. The scooter stayed in the room (as a clothes horse) the rest of the trip.

One pet peeve I have is with people (usually kids) pushing the close door button as soon as the doors open. It's almost like they had a place to be and 10 seconds would make them late. If there is nobody waiting there it's one thing but it people are waiting for others to get off and some clown is pressing the door close button I will tell them off. Or hold the door open with my hand.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, iuki said:

I use a scooter and always wait for people to get off first.  While I wait, people just getting there will get in front of me and they all jump into the elevator.  Believe it or not, we always wind up waiting about 4 or 5 times before we can actually get on the elevator.  Although the person was very rude in this case, she may have had a bad experience earlier.  Just giving that person the benefit of the doubt.   You would not believe the way people treat people on scooters.  On the other hand, most people are very courteous to us.  I really wish I didn’t have to use a scooter.   

My friend had a very bad experience because of this person she needed to get back to her cabin to use her nebulizer. If you can't breathe nothing else matters. I know what you are saying and appreciate your post 🙂 In long term care employment for years!  My one and only point was just because you are not on a scooter or in a wheel chair does not mean you can do the stairs.Would not mean you don't want to because your lazy could mean you cannot.Last sentence is not directed at you just an FYI  for general public. If you look at me I look fine but try to make me walk up a couple of flights of stairs call the code before I even start! Going to need O2! Like this with a lot of people we have no idea what is going on with them.

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, luvscruising2007 said:

It is easier for everyone if you allow a wheelchair or scooter to get on an elevator first.  Standing people have more flexibility and can then find a spot on the elevator. I am shocked at the responses on this thread.  Normally, people are much more supportive of the mobility challenged.

It is easier if the chair gets in the elevator first but I can understand why people are less supportive these day.

My son is confined to a wheelchair and we have had 3 bad experiences with scooter uses.

Normally, with careful positioning, 2 scooters can use an elevator but on 1 cruise a gentleman scooter user would drive into the elevator and turn 90 degrees. This meant that only the people with him could use the elevator.

On the Indy last year we were waiting for people to get out of the elevator, before we got in, a scooter user drove straight into the elevator whilst others were still exiting the elevator. 

Also on the Indy last year we were waiting for people to get out of the elevator and a kind woman was holding the doors for us and her father, who was on a scooter himself, told her to stop holding the doors and that if we missed the elevator that was our problem. The gentleman was from London, you could tell my the accent, and luckily for us his daughter ignored him.

2 or 3 selfish scooter user can effect how other wheelchair/scooter users get treated😥

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bloodgem said:

It is easier if the chair gets in the elevator first but I can understand why people are less supportive these day.

My son is confined o a wheelchair and we have had 3 bad experiences with scooter uses.

Normally, with careful positioning, 2 scooters can use an elevator but on 1 cruise a gentleman scooter user would drive into the elevator and turn 90 degrees. This meant that only the people with him could use the elevator.

On the Indy last year we were waiting for people to get out of the elevator, before we got in, a scooter user drove straight into the elevator whilst others were still exiting the elevator. 

Also on the Indy last year we were waiting for people to get out of the elevator and a kind woman was holding the doors for us and her father, who was on a scooter himself, told her to stop holding the doors and that if we missed the elevator that was our problem. The gentleman was from London, you could tell my the accent, and luckily for us his daughter ignored him.

2 or 3 selfish scooter user can effect how other wheelchair/scooter users get treated😥

When I worked up until September I could fit four wheelchairs into an elevator and one may be electric

Always willing to help people just we all need to be nicer to people just because you are on a scooter does not give you the right to verbally abuse someone....  you are so right! Happy Easter!!   🙂

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, iuki said:

I hear you and I really wish I could use the stairs! Be well, Happy Easter!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

My husbands right knee was giving him problems so he always used the stairs. When I was with him I would go with him but if out on my own and only needed 2 or 3 decks then i would try and use the stairs. Going down is easier for me now then up but still try and use them.. The daughter met a young girl who when she felt the elevator was full enough, would say It is full. That wasn't right as there might have been room for 1 or 2 more people. 

• Like 1

I have a mobility disability but no one can tell by looking at me.  I actually can't stand for extended periods of time without leaning on something and often the right side of my body simply does not work therefore stairs are out of the question.  I have worked in a hospital environment for my whole career so obviously have seen many people going on and off an elevator with wheelchairs and scooters.  I have to say that even though a few people are rude to those in scooters and wheel chairs the norm is not the case.  However, when you don't have an obvious or visible disability people are even worse because they assume you are fine and just lazy.  I have taken the elevator for to go up 1 deck and I have had comments and dirty looks.  I choose to ignore them.  However, on one occasion when I had exceptional pain and mobility issues I did say something to an ignorant cruiser. (Not my proudest moment) I usually ignore looks/comments but sometimes  my tolerance is low.  I really like a sign that I saw in a disability washroom at Gatwick airport that stated. "Reminder, not all disabilities are visible."  

• Like 6

As someone who uses a wheelchair and has waited for elevator load after elevator load just to find one I can get on, I can tell you that it's incredibly frustrating to see elevators full of people who don't "look" disabled.  It isn't that only disabled people should be able to ride the elevators, but when people push in front of you (not saying your friend did that) or refuse to move at all so that a wheelchair or scooter can get on the elevator, sometimes patience is lost.  One thing to keep in mind, wheelchairs (most, if not all) and scooters do not move sideways.  So it can be very difficult to maneuver if people won't move.  If there was an "easy" to get to spot and your friend took it meaning the scooter had to basically do "parallel parking maneuvers" to get into a space, that likely added to the frustration for the scooter user.  

I am not saying that people who are not disabled shouldn't use the elevator.  I just ask that people be a bit more aware of the difficulties that those of us who use mobility devices experience.

• Like 3

As I mentioned earlier, I pay attentions to those having to use scooters etc, perhaps those of us ambulatory could take an hour and spend that time in a wheel chair to see what those who do need them go through, then they could have more patience. I also feel majority of people will be considerate of others, yet it is a few who aren't. 

• Like 3

As a wheelchair user who likes to cruise, I can tell some horror stories about people and elevators.  I have had people climb over my legs to get into the elevator before me. I have had drinks poured down my back and food spilled over me. Coming back from a day ashore I had a lady hang her shopping and beach bag from the handles of my chair! Just to give her hands a rest until we get to her deck!!! a man from Texas announce "there should be separate elevators for your sort of people"  I have seen and heard it all. My family have done the stairs and then had to come look for me as 20 minutes later I am still waiting to get into the elevator to join them... Yes there are rude disabled people I have met them too.. but there are also some very helpful people who will hold doors and stop people from jumping infront of me so I can take my turn at going up or down in the elevator..

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

My friend had a very bad experience because of this person she needed to get back to her cabin to use her nebulizer. If you can't breathe nothing else matters. I know what you are saying and appreciate your post 🙂 In long term care employment for years!  My one and only point was just because you are not on a scooter or in a wheel chair does not mean you can do the stairs.Would not mean you don't want to because your lazy could mean you cannot.Last sentence is not directed at you just an FYI  for general public. If you look at me I look fine but try to make me walk up a couple of flights of stairs call the code before I even start! Going to need O2! Like this with a lot of people we have no idea what is going on with them.

Well said. Mom has COPD/Emphysema and degenerative disc disease.  Doesn't use walker or scooter, looks healthy but no way she could avoid Elevator and use stairs let alone walk distances

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, ChollaChick said:

As someone who uses a wheelchair and has waited for elevator load after elevator load just to find one I can get on, I can tell you that it's incredibly frustrating to see elevators full of people who don't "look" disabled.  It isn't that only disabled people should be able to ride the elevators, but when people push in front of you (not saying your friend did that) or refuse to move at all so that a wheelchair or scooter can get on the elevator, sometimes patience is lost.  One thing to keep in mind, wheelchairs (most, if not all) and scooters do not move sideways.  So it can be very difficult to maneuver if people won't move.  If there was an "easy" to get to spot and your friend took it meaning the scooter had to basically do "parallel parking maneuvers" to get into a space, that likely added to the frustration for the scooter user.  

I am not saying that people who are not disabled shouldn't use the elevator.  I just ask that people be a bit more aware of the difficulties that those of us who use mobility devices experience.

I understand what you are saying but please understand there are disabilities you cannot see that prevent you from using the stairs. So whose disability wins out? The one that is visabale just because it is? Friend was there first,needed to get back to her cabin she was short of breath.! Well aware of what wheel chairs and scooters can do worked in long term care for 24 years.

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 6:32 PM, steevo L said:

if the scooter didnt have enough room or didnt want to squeeze in...TO BAD..... they can wait for the next one......

and shame on anyone blaming the other person. lots of clueless self entitled keyboard warriors.  I post what i would have said, except it probably would get me removed from cruise critic

Yes to this post, YES. Very right.

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Summary:

There are polite people and there are rude people who are mobility challenged.

There are polite people and there are rude people who are  not mobility challenged.

Have I missed anything?

Nope. Nailed it.

• Like 1