Surge Protectors

I found that the multiple USB port chargers get pretty hot, I was using one on a 220 outlet (rated for 110/220) it it was too warm to touch.

I use 2 of these now to charge things next to the bed and a simple dual usb charger into the wall outlet never had an issue I run one over to my side then the other under the bed to the other side.  We can charge both our phones and check stuff while

sleeping and take turns stealing the internet

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Extension-Outlet/dp/B01MTYL55Q?th=1

813k6MxFoPL._SL1500_.jpg

• Clarea changed the title to Surge Protectors
7 hours ago, fredflint said:

I found that the multiple USB port chargers get pretty hot, I was using one on a 220 outlet (rated for 110/220) it it was too warm to touch.

I use 2 of these now to charge things next to the bed and a simple dual usb charger into the wall outlet never had an issue I run one over to my side then the other under the bed to the other side.  We can charge both our phones and check stuff while

sleeping and take turns stealing the internet

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Extension-Outlet/dp/B01MTYL55Q?th=1

813k6MxFoPL._SL1500_.jpg

These have the potential to be confiscated and returned while disembarking

I carry a power conversion kit with a cord (with case) in my carry-on. I've never been stopped. It does not have a surge protector. I'm sure the cabin stewards give it a "once over" to be sure it's legal. We bought it for our land vacations in Europe and it works well for European style outlets on the ship for our additional power needs.

3 minutes ago, LarryL said:

I carry a power conversion kit with a cord (with case) in my carry-on. I've never been stopped. It does not have a surge protector. I'm sure the cabin stewards give it a "once over" to be sure it's legal. We bought it for our land vacations in Europe and it works well for European style outlets on the ship for our additional power needs.

The cabin stewards wouldn't know a surge protector from a camel, and certainly would not upset their tip paying guests by confiscating an electrical device.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The cabin stewards wouldn't know a surge protector from a camel, and certainly would not upset their tip paying guests by confiscating an electrical device.

While we can't pretend to know what they do, or don't, know; I see your point about the tip issue.

3 minutes ago, LarryL said:

While we can't pretend to know what they do, or don't, know; I see your point about the tip issue.

Believe me, cabin stewards are not trained to look for VPR ratings on the device's fine print, and likely don't even know what that is.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fredflint said:

have had then in carry on and checked baggage with no issues at all they are not illegal as far as I can tell?

They have been confiscating these cords if they find them, have seen them on naughty table. Recently they been doing all power cords not looking for surge or anything else. just be aware

Edited by ONECRUISER

18 hours ago, fredflint said:

have had then in carry on and checked baggage with no issues at all they are not illegal as far as I can tell?

Until they are confiscated, then you will be a witness to the other side of the story.

Over the last year, I have seen all kinds of "cords" confiscated at the naughty table.  While many of the cords are not considered as hazards, Royal Caribbean seems to have instructed their security guards to exercise on the side of caution.

On your next cruise, you may have a different outcome than prior cruises

On 4/26/2019 at 1:33 PM, chengkp75 said:

Believe me, cabin stewards are not trained to look for VPR ratings on the device's fine print, and likely don't even know what that is.

Does a ship power system use "a local panel with breakers" so when a surge protector interferes trip a "breaker" or is the nearest breaker a few decks away? Its a little worrisome to rely on passengers knowing what they cant use (assuming people read rules etc) as a line of defense.

4 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Does a ship power system use "a local panel with breakers" so when a surge protector interferes trip a "breaker" or is the nearest breaker a few decks away? Its a little worrisome to rely on passengers knowing what they cant use (assuming people read rules etc) as a line of defense.

Each fire zone (the area between the doors in the passageway) on each deck will have a separate breaker panel for the outlets in the cabins in that fire zone.  Every two or three cabins are on a single circuit breaker.  However, when a surge protector fails, it typically does not draw excessive current that would trip a breaker.  The danger of a surge protector is that when the semi-conductors in the surge protector are subjected to "reverse voltage" (where the voltage in the ground is higher than the line voltage) (which can happen when there is a ground fault somewhere else on the ship), the semi-conductor fails (it is not designed to handle reverse voltage), and goes into "thermal runaway", where it will generate heat sufficient to melt the plastic in the surge protector while still drawing current far less than the trip current of the circuit breaker.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure what to do on our next cruise.  I had a Samsung Galaxy S6.  On ,y last cruise I had it plugged in overnight with a Sumsung cord. When I went to unplug it in the morning it was HOT. I had to use a cloth to unplug it and the phone is fried.  I have insurance--so I will get a new phone for $150. . . . But, I do not want it to be the same problem next cruise.  What can I use to avoid this?  It has been a PIA to deal with the insurance, etc. 

23 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Each fire zone (the area between the doors in the passageway) on each deck will have a separate breaker panel for the outlets in the cabins in that fire zone.  Every two or three cabins are on a single circuit breaker.  However, when a surge protector fails, it typically does not draw excessive current that would trip a breaker.  The danger of a surge protector is that when the semi-conductors in the surge protector are subjected to "reverse voltage" (where the voltage in the ground is higher than the line voltage) (which can happen when there is a ground fault somewhere else on the ship), the semi-conductor fails (it is not designed to handle reverse voltage), and goes into "thermal runaway", where it will generate heat sufficient to melt the plastic in the surge protector while still drawing current far less than the trip current of the circuit breaker.  

So it becomes an in-room fire hazard that can spread?

12 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I am not sure what to do on our next cruise.  I had a Samsung Galaxy S6.  On ,y last cruise I had it plugged in overnight with a Sumsung cord. When I went to unplug it in the morning it was HOT. I had to use a cloth to unplug it and the phone is fried.  I have insurance--so I will get a new phone for $150. . . . But, I do not want it to be the same problem next cruise.  What can I use to avoid this?  It has been a PIA to deal with the insurance, etc. 

A phone charger uses "overvoltage protection" to shut off the output of the charger "block" when the input voltage is too high, but it sounds like your charger failed and sent too high a voltage to the phone, so it is not a problem from the ship, but with your phone and charger.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

So it becomes an in-room fire hazard that can spread?

Yes, it is an in cabin fire hazard, which can spread if the fire is not detected or suppressed quickly enough, though that is what the smoke detector and sprinkler in the cabin is for.  It will not spread though the wiring.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

A phone charger uses "overvoltage protection" to shut off the output of the charger "block" when the input voltage is too high, but it sounds like your charger failed and sent too high a voltage to the phone, so it is not a problem from the ship, but with your phone and charger.

OK, thanks for the clarification.  . . . No problem.  They are both toast, so I guess it should not happen again. 😥

I am not sure what to do on our next cruise.  I had a Samsung Galaxy S6.  On ,y last cruise I had it plugged in overnight with a Samsung cord. When I went to unplug it in the morning it was HOT. I had to use a cloth to unplug it and the phone is fried.  I have insurance--so I will get a new phone for $150. . . . But, I do not want it to be the same problem next cruise.  What can I use to avoid this?  It has been a PIA to deal with the insurance, etc. 

well you said Samsung cord but what Charger?  I have found a lot of chargers don't really work well with 220 voltage and the multiple ones especially seem to have issues even with 110 with a few devices plugged in.

For my phone I use either high quality ( not less than 10 bucks) chargers or  a MFG charger.

I also brought 4  Portable chargers and you could always use those to charge your phone.  it was my plan B in case I had an issue with my extension cords.  It was just a bit heavy since they have to go as carry on.  In the US my backpack was pulled aside and searched.  In Europe had no issue, I had a small keyboard and video card also in my backpack.

Edited by fredflint
add stuff

RCI changed the rules.  They USED to allow non-surge suppressed power cords.  But to avoid confrontations, they now prohibit ALL extension cords.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Prohibited items:
  • Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However ""torch lighters"" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.
  • Hoverboards
  • Illegal Drugs
  • Martial Arts, Self Defense, and Sports Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.
  • HAM Radios
  • Baby Monitors
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • Alcoholic Beverages (Note: On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne. Guests who purchase alcohol bottles onboard, in a port-of-call, or bring more than the two permitted bottles on boarding day, will have their items safely stored by the ship. These bottles will be returned on the last day onboard for enjoyment once home. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

There is a thread about poor Special Needs service, where SEVERAL CPAP users state they had their extension cords confiscated.

You may be able to sneak it by, but do not count on it, as the RULES HAVE CHANGED.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

RCI changed the rules.  They USED to allow non-surge suppressed power cords.  But to avoid confrontations, they now prohibit ALL extension cords.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

If you need an extension cord for your CPAP, ask your room steward. He/she will be able to provide on for you.

Many people who need an extension cord for a CPAP will also need one to use in the hotel the night before the cruise, if flying in early, as most do.  Then you don't have anyplace to store the extension cord during your cruise.

If you keep the CPAP cord plugged into the extension cord, and then just wrap the whole thing up as one unit, it will be unlikely to be noticed / confiscated by security because it looks like it's just the cord for the machine itself.  

If you do this, PLEASE use a non-surge-protected cord, and one that is in excellent condition.  

18 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Many people who need an extension cord for a CPAP will also need one to use in the hotel the night before the cruise, if flying in early, as most do.  Then you don't have anyplace to store the extension cord during your cruise.

If you keep the CPAP cord plugged into the extension cord, and then just wrap the whole thing up as one unit, it will be unlikely to be noticed / confiscated by security because it looks like it's just the cord for the machine itself.  

If you do this, PLEASE use a non-surge-protected cord, and one that is in excellent condition.  

My husband uses a CPAP machine and he's always been able to find a plug in at the hotel pre-cruise.  My thought is the hotel could more than likely provide an extension cord, if needed.  Once on the ship he's always provided with a gallon of water and an extension cord, if needed.

14 hours ago, brillohead said:

I thought we might need one at the hotel for my wife’s CPAP machine.  I carried it for 3 cruises and never needed it at the hotel as there was always a plug close to the bed.  On the first two cruises they never noticed it but confiscated it on our third one.  When we disembarked we forgot to pick it up as we left!